• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FZ28 Replacement (1 Viewer)

Torcol

Hello,

After 10 years of use my FZ28 is becoming old and I would like to replace him.
I'm not a photographer I dont want perfect photos of birds. What I want is being able to make decent shots quickly and have a correct zoom.

What do you advise ?

Hello,

After 10 years of use my FZ28 is becoming old and I would like to replace him.
I'm not a photographer I dont want perfect photos of birds. What I want is being able to make decent shots quickly and have a correct zoom.

What do you advise ?

If you are happy with a used camera, you should have no problems finding decent ones. The problem with newer ones is that they tend to have become a bit bigger as part of the "progress". Compact and excellent ones that might please you would be a Sony RX100. But they have no EVF(Electronic View-Finder), thus I personally would not get it. But anybody who is happy using smartphones for taking pictures should have no problems.

If you are happy with what your FZ28 can do, I could recommend sticking to the Panasonic FZ line and simply getting one of the higher numbers. Personally, I'm still very happy with the FZ200, but if you do not use the camera for videos, the FZ150 would do very nicely as well. After the FZ200, the FZ line has become too bulky for my liking, but that is a personal thing.

Last edited:
correction regarding EVF in Sony RX100

.......... a Sony RX100. But they have no EVF(Electronic View-Finder),.............

I must add a correction. That lack of an EVF was only true for the first versions. Later models have a EVF that can be activated by extending it. Pretty good, actually!

Thus, aside from the relatively steep price, this is a very fine camera with absolutely superb Zeiss optics. And it is extremely compact when not in use. The limitation is that the zoom only goes to 200mm.

Last edited:
I must add a correction. That lack of an EVF was only true for the first versions. Later models have a EVF that can be activated by extending it. Pretty good, actually!

Thus, aside from the relatively steep price, this is a very fine camera with absolutely superb Zeiss optics. And it is extremely compact when not in use. The limitation is that the zoom only goes to 200mm.

The Sony RX100VII is a splendid camera and a worthy, albeit pricey successor to your FZ28.
The advantages are the bigger sensor and the smaller camera size, vastly better video and an increased wide angle lens, the downsides, apart from price, are the infuriatingly complex menus and Sony's cadaverous color science, which takes the life out of any JPEG.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back