• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbird nest in back garden. (1 Viewer)

Vaporate

Dear Members,

My first post on here.

Anyway, a blackbirds nest has developed in my back garden for 2 weeks now. Both male and female are more than ever bringing more nesting materials for the nest.

I've kept a close but distant eye over the nest over the past two weeks, but no chicks just yet. I also know that there are 4 eggs in the nest.

Don't worry I havent touched them or gone near them, except it is below a large window in my bedroom and I can see the top of the nest through the bush below.

I have kept noise to a minimum and kept the dog in as much as possible so that they are not disturbed. However, I think the birds have accepted our comings and goings.

Any advice? I'm guessing the eggs should hatch soon? been 2 weeks and a few days.

If they have eggs that are close to hatching, they won't abandon unless something is actively predatory.
What birds do you guys call black birds? We have several varieties that are commonly called "black birds", starlings, grackles, and crows primarily. I'm just curious as to what variety of bird it is.
Most birds here sit the eggs for anywhere from 12-18 days depending on the specific bird, then will spend about the same amount of time feeding them.
Have fun watching them raise their young. I had a pair of house finches that nested in the window awning framing outside the window where my computer desk sits. I was able to watch them from day one, until they fledged 5 babies a few weeks ago. It was such fun, and it's amazing how fast those little babies grow and change.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back