• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrow eggs/nest (1 Viewer)

CBJenkins

United States
Hello! I’m in need of some advice regarding a sparrows nest on my front door wreath. We didn’t notice the nest until mama bird had already laid 2 eggs, so we haven’t moved or touched the nest - she later laid 3 more. I live in west Texas where it’s been hot to cold the last two weeks. We’ve been extremely careful, often going out the back door to avoid disturbing the nest, and if we do go out the front we’re extremely careful. I’ve observed parent birds sitting on the nest frequently. Although, It’s now been about 16 days and they have not hatched. I’m not sure what to do. Is it possible they could still hatch? How long do I wait? I feel terrible, although I understand it’s natural for some nests to simply not hatch. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi CBJenkins and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I don't know which species of sparrow you have there, but for a guide, our House Sparrow incubate their eggs for about 12 days, they then take around 3 weeks to fledge. It would appear the clutch is now complete as they're still around, but bear in mind they don't start incubating until the clutch is complete, which is at least one day per egg, possibly two. See this Opus article we have written about House Sparrows: House Sparrow - BirdForum Opus.

Though if you let us know if it is them (they've been introduced to your country) or one of your native sparrows, we can advise further on that.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi CBJenkins and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I don't know which species of sparrow you have there, but for a guide, our House Sparrow incubate their eggs for about 12 days, they then take around 3 weeks to fledge. It would appear the clutch is now complete as they're still around, but bear in mind they don't start incubating until the clutch is complete, which is at least one day per egg, possibly two. See this Opus article we have written about House Sparrows: House Sparrow - BirdForum Opus.

Though if you let us know if it is them (they've been introduced to your country) or one of your native sparrows, we can advise further on that.

The eggs are blue and the birds I’ve seen look like sparrows, though I can’t say for sure what exactly. Possibly a Dunnock? When I see them through the window they have thin beaks and overall thinner than sparrows, I believe.
Update: one egg appeared to hatch but I believe the baby bird is dead. I’m too afraid to move the nest so I simply use my phone to peer into it, and it doesn’t seem to be moving. Another egg fell out, and is cracked - I put it back in the nest but I’m not sure it’s viable. Unfortunately, the temp dropped to 40 degrees today and I assume it’s too cold for these little guys. Parents are watching from the tree and still sitting on the nest - through our door window I can see them sit. The other 3 eggs have not hatched.

Attachments

• 1E50BECE-680B-4983-B1A9-A3BDD5CE5205.jpeg
    1E50BECE-680B-4983-B1A9-A3BDD5CE5205.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • A3B5ED79-7728-4F51-B64F-017EF555C053.jpeg
    A3B5ED79-7728-4F51-B64F-017EF555C053.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Blue eggs would maybe signify House Sparrow. Please don't keep looking in the nest, it's liable to make the adults completely desert. They will know when it's too cold for the eggs and will brood them; conversely when it's too hot and they will leave the nest but keep watch.

The cracked egg will not be viable I'm afraid. I'm sorry to hear one of the chicks has not made it. It takes a lot of effort to get out of the egg, sometimes too much for the baby.

Let's hope the remaining eggs produce viable young.

Welcome to Birdforum.

It is illegal to move or interfere with a viable nest. It’s best to leave well alone and use your back door.

How is it going?
3 out of 5 eggs hatched and eventually left the nest! I was able to spy on of the parent birds and upon research believe they were red headed finches! So cool!

I am wondering if I can dispose of the old nest, now that it is empty? As much as I love the birds, the anxiety I experienced about them living on my front door was a bit much 😅

Blue eggs would maybe signify House Sparrow. Please don't keep looking in the nest, it's liable to make the adults completely desert. They will know when it's too cold for the eggs and will brood them; conversely when it's too hot and they will leave the nest but keep watch.

The cracked egg will not be viable I'm afraid. I'm sorry to hear one of the chicks has not made it. It takes a lot of effort to get out of the egg, sometimes too much for the baby.

Let's hope the remaining eggs produce viable young.
house sparrow eggs are not blue, right?

house sparrow eggs are not blue, right?
Hi Rebelannie and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've just double-checked on this and it appears that the egg colour can be quite variable from brown, through green to blue, pale blue and white. Sometimes spotted with brown. I haven't found if there's any particular reason for this variation in colour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back