• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (1 Viewer)

A Peregrine was plucking its catch on a pylon near Middleton Grange on Sunday morning.
Other birds noted over the last couple of days include Tufted Duck, Raven, Fieldfare, Redwing, Meadow Pipit, Siskin, Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Grey Wagtail, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, Buzzard, Jay, Mistle Thrush, Water Rail, Goldcrest, Canada Geese, House Sparrows, Reed Bunting, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Skylark, Long-tailed Tits, Cormorants and Mute Swans.

Starlings (800+) and Pied Wagtails (40+) roosted in Coney reedbed yesterday evening.

A Red Admiral was still on the wing in Salwarpe churchyard on Friday morning.

2 Whooper Swans flew over Salwarpe calling about 5 minutes ago flying up the valley towards Droitwich. They were calling virtually constantly.

The Whooper Swans are a patch tick for me. I was first alerted by their bugling calls and, although it was getting dark, their large white forms were still easy to make out. Couldn't get much detail on them though - effectively identified them on call.

A Snipe flew out of Coney reedbed at dusk and a Water Rail called a couple of times.

A Redpoll flew over near Salwarpe village this afternoon (one at Salwarpe court on Friday).

Tufted Duck on small pool near Chatley on Friday.

A Mandarin Duck at Porter's Mill on Friday morning.
4+ Siskins feeding in alders at Salwarpe court on Friday morning.
A pair of Peregrines perched on pylon near Middleton Grange on Friday and again this morning.
A Greylag amongst Canada Geese at Hawford this morning plus a couple of hybrids.
Tufted drake on Tapenhall pool this morning.

Merry Xmas & Happy New Year

Seasons greeting to all forum contributors & readers 🎅🎄

Wishing you all a rarity- & scarcity-filled 2019 🍻

The Starling roost (500+) was attacked by a Peregrine and a Sparrowhawk this evening.

2+ Blackcaps just west of Salwarpe on Saturday feeding on Mistle berries.

Merry Christmas and good birding in 2019.

70+ Wigeon circling over Hawford Lock area in 3 coalescing flocks.

About 120 Lapwings also over.

Male Blackcap and Kingfisher also.

A Cetti's Warbler calling from reedbed in front of the screen at Coney Meadow. The first I've heard here since the first winter period of 2018.

4 Yellowhammers near Mayhouse Cottages earlier.

45 Lapwings over Chatley this afternoon.
2 Peregrines perched on pylon near Middleton Grange again.
Several Blackcaps noted in various places over the past few days.
Also Goldcrests, Nuthatches, Treecreepers, Kestrels, Sparrowhawks, Linnets, a few Meadow Pipits, Water Rails, winter Thrushes, Mistle Thrushes, Coal Tits, Buzzards, Grey Wagtail and Kingfisher.

Yesterday's roost at Coney had 1500+ Starlings.

Two Little Egrets over Tapenhall heading up the valley.
Male and female Tawny Owls calling from Droitwich Woods last night.
Peregrine on pylon again this morning.

Drake Gadwall on Tapenhall pool -unusual for the time of year.

Two redhead Goosanders on the river at Hawford - 4th record this year.

One Greylag with 65 Canadas.

Redpoll over Hawford Mill area.

Water Rail showing well along the canal at Mildenham.

Tufted Duck male on small pool between Chatley and Hawford.

No Siskin near Salwarpe Court this morning but I did have blackbird, song thrush, mistle thrush, fieldfare and redwing in the trees by the canal. Thrush city!

A few extra items from what was a decent morning:

3 Yellowhammers over Egg Lane
Raven at Linacres paddocks and another near Salwarpe.
Male Blackcap Salwarpe.

Let's hope a few of today's birds put in an appearance tomorrow.

My patch list for 2018 ended on 117. Although numbers of some species seemed down, variety and quality were definitely good. I recorded a number of new species on the patch this year, including:

Goshawk
Whooper Swan
Egyptian Goose

Although not new for the patch, my personal patch tick for Great White Egret was a definite highlight.

Other scarce species recorded this year included:

Pied Flycatcher (2nd record)
Marsh Harrier (2nd record - stayed in the area for over a week in April).
Merlin (less than half a dozen records)

Other notable species included Great Crested Grebe, Little Grebe, Wigeon, Shoveler, Mandarin, Teal, Goosander, Red Kite, Golden Plover, Common Sandpiper, Green Sandpiper, Curlew, Woodcock (performed regularly from Jan to March), Common Tern, Barn Owl, Tree Pipit, Stonechat, Whinchat, Grasshopper Warbler, Brambling and Hawfinch.

Regular passage migrants such as Spotted Flycatcher, Yellow Wagtail, Wheatear and Common Redstart also added interest.

One of my own personal highlights, however, was rediscovering Marsh Tits in the area after a lengthy absence. They may even still breed in the more inaccessible wooded areas (i.e. Knight's Grove woodland) as a probable juvenile was seen.

The sighting of a pair of Grey Partridges with a young chick provided hope that this species may become reestablished in future.

Non-avian highlights included sightings of Otter, Roe Deers, Muntjacs, Brown Hares and a still-thriving colony of Glow worms at Droitwich Community Woods.

Let's hope 2019 is another good year. Happy new year!

Peregrine on a pylon near Middleton Grange again this morning and one flew over Coney twice at dusk.
Drake Gadwall again on Tapenhall pool first thing.
3 Water Rail along the canal near Mildenham - one showed well.
A Little Grebe on the river at Hawford.
A Lapwing flew over Hawford farm.
Redpoll over near Hawford.
9+ Siskins with Goldfinches in alders at Salwarpe court. Grey Wagtail near Salwarpe.
A couple of Meadow Pipits over.
One Snipe flew from the reedbed at Coney at dusk.
1500+ Starlings roosted.
Sparrowhawk, Buzzards, male Kestrel, Goldcrests, Coal Tit, Reed Buntings, Treecreeper, Bullfinches, Blackcaps at Hawford and near Salwarpe, House Sparrows, Chaffinches, Long-tailed Tits, Great Spotted and Green Woodpeckers, Fieldfares, Redwings, Mistle Thrushes, singing Song Thrushes, Blackbirds, Grey Herons, Cormorants, Herring and Lesser Black-backed Gulls, Mallards, Black-headed Gulls, Wrens, Robins, Stock Doves, Woodpigeons, Collard Doves, Blue and Great Tits, Jays, Rooks, Magpies, Carrion Crows, Mute Swans, Canada Geese and Moorhens also seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back