• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Worcestershire (2 Viewers)

A couple of you will know that I'm currently off work and recovering from surgery. I had back-to-back appointments this morning at the doctor's and the opticians. I was then due to meet a brewer friend of mine at 1 o'clock. Being as I'm unable to drive at the moment, rather than getting the bus home and then returning to town later, I decided to kill time in Bromsgrove, which involved visits to all (numerous) the charity shops (and breakfast in the Golden Cross). As I was leaving the Oxfam shop I spotted a book. British Birds' Eggs and Nests by the Reverend JC Atkinson.
Now, I'm not defending his pastime in the slightest as it became immediately clear that he was an egg collector, but at first glance, I did find it a fascinating book and then I found a hand written note on a slip of paper which added real provenance to the publication, so I duly bought it.
The book itself was printed in 1901 and it appears that this particular copy was owned by a local birder (egg collector?) with the surname of Vincent. Bought in 1923.
Apart from the plethora old-world names of various species and the incorrect classification of some breeds as well, the note is charming and of proper local interest (especially, I would guess, to the likes of Discors and keithr). Make of it what you will.
Please see attached scans...

Attachments

• Cover.jpeg
    Cover.jpeg
    448.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Prov.jpeg
    Prov.jpeg
    274.4 KB · Views: 110
Thanks Simon.........these old books are fascinating.
I have a 2 vol set from the late 1800's when the only way for them to I.D. the birds was to shoot them...:eek!:...I do the same but with a Canon (digital).
I got them from a Hay bookstore but they have been roughly re-bound and lost the title pages and so the dates and author....have to dig them out of the loft and have another look at them. :t:

Love the handwritten note.....braver than me...I would either fall out of the trees or end up being stuck forever.:-O

Some half-decent birds in the county at the moment - Great Grey Shrike on Bredon Hill, 5 Snow Buntings on Malverns, Common Scoter at Grimley and RC Pochard at Westwood

At least 2 Snow Buntings still at Malvern early morning, near Trig Point at the summit of the Worcestershire Beacon. I was surprised with how tame they were.

Chris

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-09 at 11.33.38.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-09 at 11.33.38.png
    290.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Screen Shot 2014-11-09 at 11.33.55.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-09 at 11.33.55.png
    290.1 KB · Views: 56
Snow bunting, Worcester Beacon Nov 5th

Sorry for the late posting but find attached photos of five Snow Bunting from just below the Worcester Beacon last Wednesday. I was able to get within 2 metres of the small flock.

Attachments

• SB 1.jpg
    SB 1.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 65
  • SB 2.jpg
    SB 2.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 78
  • SB 4.jpg
    SB 4.jpg
    632 KB · Views: 78
  • SB 5.jpg
    SB 5.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 96
  • SB 3.jpg
    SB 3.jpg
    692.3 KB · Views: 76
Had a pleasant walk around Croome Park this morning 36 species of bird in a couple of hours. Of note there were incredible numbers of fieldfares and redwings. there was also 6 herons, 100 canada geese, a snipe and a stonechat.

I took a walk around Cofton Reservoir this morning and spotted the following:-
Shoveler 20+ birds, I had never seen Shoveler here until early November and the flock has grown from an initial 5 birds to over 20.
Goosander 13 birds, they appeared two days ago and were the first I had seen on the reservoir for almost 2 years.
Mandarin, the one male has been here since July
Cormorant 3
Tufted Duck about 15 birds
Great Crested Grebe 2
Little Grebe 2
Mallards (inc. one hybrid) and Coot usual numbers but only one Moorhen.
Grey Heron 1
In the woods around the water there were numerous Goldfinch and Bullfinch plus one Nuthatch.
Looking towards the Bittell Reservoirs a huge flock of Wood Pigeon flew around for a few minutes.
Not a bad start to January !

The Goosander could be the ones that were on Meercroft in Kings Norton as they have been absent the last few days.....although I did not look today......great spots for such a small pool....will have to pop in and have a look.

Driving to work this morning - there appeared to be a Little Egret on a 'borrow pit' near Powick flood alleviation scheme - although I was driving and couldn't stop so the views were very limited.

An afternoon at Walton Hill today produced an unexpected sighting of a lone Crossbill calling in flight. I'm not sure if they are regularly seen at Clent?. I know that they do visit the relatively close Lickey Hills at times.

Other birds seen- 1 singing Skylark, 7+ Meadow Pipit, 2 Buzzard, 1 Kestrel, 4 Mistle Thrush, single Chaffinch and Goldfinch, Green Woodpecker, Nuthatch, Coal tit and L-t-Tit, Goldcrest. Chiffchaff heard but not seen.

The Yellow-browed showed well at Sedgeberrow today, calling loudly to ensure I found it.

A silent Chiffchaff there also, plus Grey Wagtail and five Mandarin flying about

Attachments

• ybw1-sedgeberrow-28mar15.jpg
    ybw1-sedgeberrow-28mar15.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 69
  • ybw2-sedgeberrow-28mar15.jpg
    ybw2-sedgeberrow-28mar15.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 82
Walton Hill, Clent this morning - 1 female Ring Ouzel and 1 male Wheatear in top field by Walton Hill Farm. A chap I spoke to also had a male Redstart.

Also seen - Raven, GS Woodpecker, Green Woodpecker, 15+ Linnet, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Meadow Pipit, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, Nuthatch, Coal Tit, Bullfinch, Pheasant

Large swift over A491 near Clent yesterday @ c1230. Looked large and more barrelled than common, possible Alpine but didn't clock any white in brief view had - by no means likely but might be worth keeping an eye out in area.

Wast Hills
2 Wheatear still on horse paddocks along Redhill Road opposite Goodrest. Staying low in wind only saw them as I walked across footpath a couple of the stiles have dissappear and footpath not clear

Willow Warblers:
What do folks think of Willow Warbler numbers this year ? I get out and about quite a bit in locations I'd expect WWs, but this year I've not heard/seen as many. What are numbers like for you ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back