• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Volcano: Holiday cancelled or stuck in birdland ? (1 Viewer)

George Edwards

Nom de plume
Anyone else had their birding holiday cancelled, or, rather better, forced to an extend a birding holiday? I have a flight booked to Panama on Thursday, which is now looking very unlikely to happen. If only the volcano had erupted a week later I might have been stuck out there - that wouldn't have been half as bad!

Well a friend of mine is stuck in LA on a business trip and has been forced to spend time in Griffith Park adding to his life list ...

Well, I'm currently stuck for at least one additional day in the Algarve. Things could be worse, although it's actually been raining a lot today.

My brother knows someone who works for air traffic control at Heathrow who reckons there wont be any movement until wednesday at the earliest. Also my brother should have been on a flight back from Tunisia as I type but obviously isn't.

I was supposed to be birding with a British birder and his wife that I met through BF to years ago up in Tucson, Arizona today. Was supposed to go to Portal with them next weekend. They have been changed to a flight out of G.B. next Friday so will bird in Tucson next weekend and miss Portal in their rearranged itinerary. Good thing is they are retired so the week delay is workable.

I know of several birders on their way to Lesvos who have been at or near airports since Thurs/Fri, some of whom have now packed up and gone home. My own flight tomorrow has been cancelled and I am now booked on flights on Weds and Thurs. On Thurs my first gorup is due out on Lesvos. One of our number was in the US and unable to get home to Scotland so he has flown to direct to Athens in the hope that we (inc. his wife) can join him on Lesvos on Thurs. He's already making overland route plans in case we dont make it.

So I'm currently on the wrong side of the problem!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back