• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best App for Android in Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

rb_stern

Richard stern
I'm looking for a good ID Android app for my phone while birding soon in Costa Rica. There are 3 listed in the Google Play store. Costa Rica Birds had many bad reviews with various problems, Bird Data Costa Rica looks excellent but there are no reviews yet, and although it's free there are "in app purchases", and Birds Eye Costa Rica says it needs an internet connection to function properly, which means high data charges.
Anyone had any experience with any of these and can give me a recommendation?
Thanks, Richard

I'm looking for a good ID Android app for my phone while birding soon in Costa Rica. There are 3 listed in the Google Play store. Costa Rica Birds had many bad reviews with various problems, Bird Data Costa Rica looks excellent but there are no reviews yet, and although it's free there are "in app purchases", and Birds Eye Costa Rica says it needs an internet connection to function properly, which means high data charges.
Anyone had any experience with any of these and can give me a recommendation?
Thanks, Richard

I have in the past used their Mexico package and in principle it works offline - the online is necessary if you will see what has been observed near you. [full disclosure: I have had problems with the app forgetting the downleaded materials which then necessitated another download. When I contacted Birdseye they said they knew about the problem and that in another month they would update the app so that problem disappeared. I have not been back to Mexico since that update. ]

from the birdseye website:
Using BirdsEye Offline

You can download included images to your phone for offline use and remove it to free up space as often as you wish. You can access this package on your iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, and Android so long as they are all registered to your BirdsEye account. To download all of the content for offline use, just go back to the package detail page and tap the download button. Enjoy!

See more at http://www.birdseyebirding.com/shop/uncategorized/birdseye-costa-rica/

Niels

Edit: I have no experience with the other options.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back