• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help using ebird offline (1 Viewer)

cafe birder

Supporter
I am about to go on a holiday and want to use ebird in the States on my mobile as I do in the UK. However to avoid excessive roaming charges I would like to use it offline and only connect up in my accomodation. I cannot find any way of starting an offline checklist on my android app despite internet reviews saying it is possible, the option does not seem to exist.
Can anyone advise me please ? I like ebird and would prefer to contribute while I am birding in several areas rather than just local to my home in the UK

Regards Howard

I think that if you download the Ebird pack for the country when you have internet access then you should be able to use it successfully offline. You can do this on the app by opening the three horizontal bars and then going to 'Packs'. I'd also very much recommend getting a US sim card when you visit rather than your own UK sim, but that may depend on your phone.

Some guidance on the use of packs is here:

I can use eBird without internet connection. It only takes a little bit more time to find your position when you start the app

I've certainly used ebird offline to record lists in the US and elsewhere. As Andrew suggests it would be a good idea to download the relevant packs. Perhaps if you do that at your initial accomodation and also check-out the ebird entries for the hotspots you intend to visit to make sure you are all set-up and ready. I have used it with a UK SIM with data turned-off then you just finalise and upload the list once you get back to wi-fi.

Try it before you go: in your garden, with data turned off, start a checklist with 1-2 species. Go to finish the track and observations, and find the little X in the upper corner to get out of that screen. Do it once more. Then let back on the data and go to checklists: should see two unsubmitted checklists. Submit those, and see that also works. Then if you feel like it, go back in to submitted checklists and delete them again.
Disclaimer: I use an old iphone and assume the X to leave the screen looks similar on your phone.

Niels

I use eBird offline all over the world. Have your pack(s) pre downloaded and good to go.

Merlin works offline as well.

For maps either pre download offline areas for google maps or use something like organic maps to give you offline mapping with the OSM dataset (open street maps). Best option is usually to have both available offline!

A warning. Ebird "packs" (list of birds it thinks occur in a country) are tiny. However, there's something in the serving that means unless you have the most perfect, hyper-speed connection you be entirely unable to download the (say) 21 Mb list for Brazil ever, full stop. Definitely do it in uk before you go to states. Even then, be prepared for a surprisingly long wait...

(Note to ebird: you spilt Merlin Brazil into regional packs. Why don't you do that for the ebird lists too?)

If you forget this, you can still use the thing. It will just mean you have to hunt more for species names and you'll get an annoying "use basic list?" message every single time on startup. You'll have to click through multiple menus and ebird will claim that something isn't found in the area until you assign a place to it. (There are so many questionable design choices here I scarce know where to begin)

If you really can't use ebird offline then try updating the app. Be careful, though that all lists are submitted first, and you might like to get the GPS coords out first to be sure you have these.

If everything fails, switch to observado

Many thanks for all the help from all the replies.
I had downloaded the USA pack but trying it in the UK was not working. Presumably as I was on the wrong continent.
Will try the various suggestions later today. Thanks also for the Google maps idea

Regards Howard

When doing the test in your garden, the intent was not that you should try the USA pack but just trying to make and submit a couple of offline checklists so you know how that works.
Niels

When doing the test in your garden, the intent was not that you should try the USA pack but just trying to make and submit a couple of offline checklists so you know how that works.
Niels
Thanks. I did understand that. I was merely pointing out my own incompetence in trying it the other way a week ago before asking fo the , clearly needed, help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back