• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser or Greater Coucal? Sindh/Pakistan (1 Viewer)

feika

A fellow birder posted this bird in our local facebook group. Captured in district Khairpur Mir's, Sindh, Pakistan somewhere around 20th January, 2020.
The bird is identified as Lesser Coucal because of it's dark brown eyes compared to the distinct red eyes of the Greater Coucal. I just want to reconfirm if it's really Lesser Coucal.
Regards

Attachments

• Lesser Coucal.jpg
    Lesser Coucal.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 39
But shouldn't adult Greater Coucal has red eyes? Also, I couldn't make it out clearly, but there's a hint of a long claw on one of the toes of this bird, which is pretty hard to isolate in the blades of grass.

Greater for me. Only pointer for Lesser is the dark eyes, whereas bill looks better for Greater and it doesn't have the fine streaking silverish streaking that a lesser coucal should show.

Greater for me. Only pointer for Lesser is the dark eyes, whereas bill looks better for Greater and it doesn't have the fine streaking silverish streaking that a lesser coucal should show.

Yes, it's a sub-adult Greater, the red eye colour not yet developed and as Seth alludes, bill structure is key. Lesser would have a shorter, proportionally deeper bill.

Grahame

Yes, it's a sub-adult Greater, the red eye colour not yet developed and as Seth alludes, bill structure is key. Lesser would have a shorter, proportionally deeper bill.

Grahame

Thanks for confirming. I had wondered if it was a subadult since I noticed ones in juvenile plumage had dark eyes, but I couldn't find any photos or anything in my bird books that mentioned that.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back