• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds seen in the Great Barrier Reef/Macau (1 Viewer)

mjohnson0728

Please confirm/identify the birds

Photo 1. Is the bird labeled Sooty ? and Sooty Tern?

Photo 2 and 3 are the same bird, the bird did not turn around for me to photograph him. Seen in Macau.

Thanks again in advance.

Michael

Attachments

• P1075293.jpeg
    P1075293.jpeg
    261.9 KB · Views: 52
  • P1078230.jpeg
    P1078230.jpeg
    336.5 KB · Views: 27
  • P1078231.jpeg
    P1078231.jpeg
    289.6 KB · Views: 27
I'd suspect the two dark-backed terns are both Bridled (the left one definitely is, as you have already).

The crested tern is a Lesser Crested Tern; it has a full black cap, while on Greater, the forehead just above the bill is white at all times of the year.

As well as the crown pattern, I'd expect Greater Crested to be darker above and with a yellower (less orange) bill than this.

I agree that the Macau bird is a Masked Laughingthrush. (Still often included in Garrulax, depending on your list authority - there has been a lot of change in laughingthrush taxonomy in recent years!)

Please confirm/identify the birds

Photo 1. Is the bird labeled Sooty ? and Sooty Tern?

Photo 2 and 3 are the same bird, the bird did not turn around for me to photograph him. Seen in Macau.

Thanks again in advance.

Michael

Are you still in Macau, have you found the old cemetary?

Quite small but very quiet, we had Scaly Thrush, Chinese Blackbird, Chinese Gros and Red-flanked Blutail from memory.

Also, read some of the gravestones, very interesting, they're mainly sailors and one fell to his death on board ship through an open hatch!

https://kr.trip.com/travel-guide/macau/old-protestant-cemetery-78459/

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back