• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please help identify these birds (1 Viewer)

mjohnson0728

Please help identify these birds.

First photo - Bird seen in Hue Vietnam on November 29, 2023
Second Photo - Bird seen in Siem Reap on Dec 4th 2023
Third Photo - Bird seen in Siem Reap on Dec 5th
Fourth Photo - Bird seen in Siem Reap on Dec 4th

Thank you in advance for assisting in identifying these birds.
Michael

Attachments

• DSCN0146Hue - Vinh Ninh.jpeg
    DSCN0146Hue - Vinh Ninh.jpeg
    446 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN0396Siem Reap.jpeg
    DSCN0396Siem Reap.jpeg
    823.8 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN0487 Siem Reap.jpeg
    DSCN0487 Siem Reap.jpeg
    368 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN0375 Siem Reap.jpeg
    DSCN0375 Siem Reap.jpeg
    615.6 KB · Views: 21
It is possible the last photo,375, is a yellow vented bulbul. If you saw its head it looks like a racoon, with a white head and black bandit mask. If you saw its head and it looked different then it is not a yellow vented bulbul:)

Could the flowerpecker be female Scarlet-backed?
It seems quite grey-toned, with a contrast between white throat/centre of breast and greyer cheeks/flanks, which is a pattern I associate with Scarlet-backed. It also seems a bit shorter-billed than I normally expect with Plain. The upperparts are not visible in this image to confirm the rump colour.

I'm not really familiar with Plain though, and I find these two really hard to separate unless you see the upperparts.

Could the flowerpecker be female Scarlet-backed?
It seems quite grey-toned, with a contrast between white throat/centre of breast and greyer cheeks/flanks, which is a pattern I associate with Scarlet-backed. It also seems a bit shorter-billed than I normally expect with Plain. The upperparts are not visible in this image to confirm the rump colour.

I'm not really familiar with Plain though, and I find these two really hard to separate unless you see the upperparts.
A good point John and probably more likely at Siem Reap as Plain seems to be much the scarcer there. I think the whiter throat, in particular, which I put down to lighting the first time round, is genuine so would agree it looks better for Scarlet-backed.

Grahame

A good point John and probably more likely at Siem Reap as Plain seems to be much the scarcer there. I think the whiter throat, in particular, which I put down to lighting the first time round, is genuine so would agree it looks better for Scarlet-backed.

Grahame
According to the original post, this bird is at Hue, not Siem Reap. But eBird data suggests Scarlet-backed is also commoner than Plain in Hue, especially in the city.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back