• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Swans Return (1 Viewer)

Colin

Axeman (Retired)
England
Christmas is always in December and schools are always on holiday in August (in the UK), the May Bank holiday is always at the beginning of May. There are certain things that happen every year that we rely on taking place at or very near to a certain date. We are perhaps organised. In the natural world things also can be quite predictable. Here is the background on a typical event here in south west England.
Every year, birders in the Severn Estuary and many supporters of the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust at Slimbridge on the banks of the River Severn eagerly await the return of the Bewick's Swans which winter in the area. Some swans are 'sponsored' by members of the Trust and as each swan is uniquely identifiable by its black and yellow bill pattern, these people eagerly await the return of 'their' swan. Whilst the majority of the swans arrive in November, December and early January, the first ones of the autumn always spark lots of interest.
The swans are very good timekeepers in that the first ones will put in an appearance on or about 19th October give or take literally 2 or 3 days. Occasionally, depending on the weather with adverse winds etc. in some years they may be a few days later but there are lots of records of 19th, 20th , 21st October.
This year, the swans were unusually early when 26 appeared on 13th October. It is a generally early year for autumn arrivals. The Pink-footed Geese which winter in Lancashire arrived early and at my local patch, the few Whooper Swans arrived on the 23th October when the previous earliest date was 31st October.
So, with the arrival of the winter swans in the estuary of south west England, winter is here and that is official!!

:cool:
I'll take off the shades now that winter is here

Colin

;)
thats better

Colin

And its sure is an interesting time as well. You live in a good area winterwise as there is one small reserve near to you that seems to come alive in the winter. I am talking about Ashleworth Ham. I always try to combine that with a visit to the Foresof Dean or perhaps with a Slimbridge visit. In fact the severn flood plains can turn up anything, and usually do.

Regards
John j

Thanks for that Colin.

I have had a brief look and promise to call in again for a better look tomorrow.

I have always wanted to create my own web site but haven't got a clue how to do it. Is it easy to do??

Regards
John J

Hi John J
It is not too difficult John. You can do it for free, even but you might have to put up with some crap advertising.

burhinus

I enjoyed looking aound your website Colin and especially liked the way you've set up the photos section :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back