• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Japanese: Japan in summer June-July 2023 (3 Viewers)

18th July was my last day in Japan and, with the extreme temperatures in the mid-30s, I only planned to do some low key stuff. Early in the morning, I headed out to Kasai Rinkai Park. If you're ever staying in Tokyo, this is a good place for birding that's easily accessible on the train from the city centre. The birds were fairly subdued but I got my first Greenshank and Eurasian Curlews of the trip. A small group of Azure-winged Magpies also showed nicely. There was an unexpected mammal highlight when I had very good views of a Japanese Racoon Dog at the edge of one of the reedbeds.

I then headed on the train to visit the Yatsu Tidal Flat. The station is in the middle of a huge interchange of roads and railway lines, but there's a nice shady path along the tidal basin, which gives good views out over the water and mud. A Scaup was a bit of a surprise among the other ducks. There weren't many waders around but I enjoyed good views of a group of 15 Lesser Sand Plovers ('Mongolian' types) and a Grey-tailed Tattler.

That was enough heat for one day and I headed back into Tokyo to hang about in air-conditioned 'pod hotel', where I was able to get some rest before my flight. Despite a valiant attempt to miss the flight, I boarded the plane just after midnight and was back in Aberdeen by late morning on 19th.

I saw 194 species in all, with a good selection of mammals and other species. 28 were lifers, which isn't a huge number, but was about what I expected. I'd recommend Japan as a destination without reservation. It's an enjoyable and easy place to travel in and has very good birding.

Attachments

• L Sand Plover_Yatsu_180723a.jpg
    L Sand Plover_Yatsu_180723a.jpg
    566.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Racoon Dog_Kasai Rinkai_180723a.jpg
    Racoon Dog_Kasai Rinkai_180723a.jpg
    896.8 KB · Views: 17
18th July was my last day in Japan and, with the extreme temperatures in the mid-30s, I only planned to do some low key stuff. Early in the morning, I headed out to Kasai Rinkai Park. If you're ever staying in Tokyo, this is a good place for birding that's easily accessible on the train from the city centre. The birds were fairly subdued but I got my first Greenshank and Eurasian Curlews of the trip. A small group of Azure-winged Magpies also showed nicely. There was an unexpected mammal highlight when I had very good views of a Japanese Racoon Dog at the edge of one of the reedbeds.

I then headed on the train to visit the Yatsu Tidal Flat. The station is in the middle of a huge interchange of roads and railway lines, but there's a nice shady path along the tidal basin, which gives good views out over the water and mud. A Scaup was a bit of a surprise among the other ducks. There weren't many waders around but I enjoyed good views of a group of 15 Lesser Sand Plovers ('Mongolian' types) and a Grey-tailed Tattler.

That was enough heat for one day and I headed back into Tokyo to hang about in air-conditioned 'pod hotel', where I was able to get some rest before my flight. Despite a valiant attempt to miss the flight, I boarded the plane just after midnight and was back in Aberdeen by late morning on 19th.

I saw 194 species in all, with a good selection of mammals and other species. 28 were lifers, which isn't a huge number, but was about what I expected. I'd recommend Japan as a destination without reservation. It's an enjoyable and easy place to travel in and has very good birding.
Thank you for your excellent trip report. It brings a far away bit of the world a lot closer.

What a way to end a terrific trip I've wanted to do that trip south to Hachichojima for seabirds for a long time - great to see you scoring well Andrew - and to be so calm about Bannermann's Shearwater!

The first Booby shot is an absolute beauty, as are the pix of the honeyeater.

Many thanks to putting such a great report together.

Cheers
Mike

Excellent stuff: I'm jealous. Opus lacks images of some of these, for example Bonin white-eye. Can we add them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back