• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who is the bravest bird in your garden ? (1 Viewer)

vicky@glos

Hi again all,
Just been out to top up my bird feeders and just had a tought for this question.

Who is the bravest garden bird you know of ?

I say this as at the moment as soon as my back it turned it's either the blue-tit or the coal-tit that heads for the food first before I even reach for the door to go inside.

I can't descide who is the bravest as one time it could be the coal-tit and the next time it's the blue-tit.

Anyway anyone with any different answer, please feel free to list your recommendations for the - bravest bird in your garden.

:t: Vicky

In my garden now it would be starlings as they are the only regular visitors, In my old house we used to have a Collard dove sit on the patio just out side the back door. And in my mums garden it is blackbirds.

Here in PA, USA, I have to go with the black-capped chickadee. They are a little ball of feathers and curiosity. They are the first to check out a new feeder. They will hang around while I am filling the feeder. They are also the first birds to learn to feed from a hand. They will sneak into the feeder for a seed while bigger, more aggressive (rude) birds are trying to take control of the feeder. The chickadee is small but mighty.

Hi all

Currently in my garden the most regular visitors are the Siskins, I can have up to twenty and they will feed on the nut bags the mixed seed on the table, or from the fat balls. They will sit in the tree next to the feeding station while I am topping things up within a few feet of me. I have had Coal tits doing this also.

In my mums garden I have watched Siskins feeding from a peanut feeder, while I am standing in an open doorway less than two feed away, of course never when I have the camera in my hand. :'D

I regularly have blue tits, great tits and assorted finches feeding on the mixed seeds, but the bravest in terms of aggression would have to be the Bullfinch (bullies quite literally) the males particularly will not tolerate smaller birds feeding near them and will "see off" the Siskins quite aggressively.

Incidentally I have two robins visiting may table regularly together, something I have never had before, I assume this is a paired up, pair?

Rich

Last edited:
I'm with Ashley on this one.

My garden is less than a year old, and my feeding station less than a month.

Although we've had a few sporadic visitors, the New Year has seen most action from small gangs of Starlings - which is fine by me, 'cos I quite like them!

I agree with mkdon on the Black-capped Chickadee. These small bundles of energy are the most curious of all birds. I've hand fed them and have had them land on me at different times, either out of curiosity or looking for a meal. While other birds are busy with territorial disputes, they're busy darting about them, grabbing a seed on the fly. They're a very social bird, but they can be feisty too- we once had one trapped in our garage and after hours of trying to persuade it to fly out on it's own, I had to get out the net- that lil dee let me know what it thought of me picking it up with a couple hard bites - When I let it go, it flew off to land on a nearby branch then proceeded to tell me off real good with that small but powerful chickadee voice that says 'I'm small, but I'm brave.' An extra large spirit in a very small package.
My other choice would be a ruby-throated hummingbird. I've seen them attack birds as large as a Coopers hawk- totally fearless :)

Last edited:
In my yard, the bravest by far is the whiskey jack (gray jay). They feed from my hand (or head, wherever they feel comfy!) But, I have 4 red foxes hanging around and the whiskey jacks lunge for the fox food as soon as the fox turns it's back. Now that's brave! Or stupid... I'm not sure! :)

the song thrush for managing to secure rights to the bird table even fighting off up to 4 blackbirds and a squirrel. The coal tit comees close..with its hit and steal tactics.

I have to agree with Tammie that the Gray Jays are very brave hence the name Camp Robber. They will swoop in the moment you turn your back or move a few feet away and can be trained to eat from your hand. However I believe the Ravens are braver yet. If there is something going on they will come to check it out. They calmly go about their business of shredding garbage bags with people standing around watching or picking at road kill as cars pass by at 120 km/hour. They literally own the place if they so choose. I've seen them hassle eagles. Hmmm, perhaps they are more bullies that brave.

Hello Vicky , Well here in sunny West Wales , my vote will have to go to the Nuthatch . Although the Robin is very fearless and will eat out of your hand , when actually on the feeder , the Nuthatch will literally allow one to approach to within an arms length of the feeder before flyingaway . I first noticed this a few years , and since have tried it on various Nuthatches , on the feeders of other family members with the same result . No other bird in my experience allows one to get so close , although not so commonly seen as most other garden regulars , this one stands out in my humble opinion . Regards Hugh

Robin Lionheart

As long as I do not point a camera at him, this robin is very tame and almost stayes on the feeder or log while I replenish them.
As soon as I try to take a close-up picture of him he takes flight.
This picture was taken through an unopenable double glazed window, hence the lack of sharpness. At least, that is my excuse!
Coolpix 990, manual focus 1 meter, 1/25 f. 4.4

Attachments

• robin-on-log.jpg
    robin-on-log.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 212
Over here in the US in my yard you could go with the starling except they are usualy not as brave on their own, ownly in groups. Then I would go for the grackle. They may go for things one at a time.
The other one that I have noticed is the H. sparrow. I have seen the starlings take over the bird bath and the grackles take over the feeder. The surprising thing(s) that I have noticed is when the sparrow 'sneaks' in to the birdbath or the feeder while the other ones are on there.

It has to be the female Siskins cos I can get within two feet of them on the feeder and most of all because the really go for the Starlings whent hey try to take over the feeders!

I would have to say the brown-headed nuthatch is the bravest bird on my feeders. They will ignore me and come to the suet feeder even if I am standing right next to it, even well within arms length.

If I am sitting on the patio (my feeders are on the small patio of our apartment), the chickadees will approach, perch on a nearby branch, and berate me at length. Eventually, they will work up the courage to come to the feeders, but will still nag at me to go inside.

It's the Blue-tit in my garden, one in particular feeds on the fat ball and seed feeder on a ceanothus tree right outside the back door, and right out side my study window I hasten to add as he is chattering away as I type.

I have stood right under him and he was definately talking to me I swear, from only about 15 inces away!

The starlings are, as many have mentioned, okay in a group, they take a lot before they will fly off, normally my dog shouting at them does the trick.

Take care

boogs

Hugh, I envy your Nuthach! I almost feel I should refrase that?

It has to be the Blackbird here, one top (Alpha male?) who dominates and chases everything in site excluding the Magpies.

Hi all,

On my feeders it has to be the Greenfinches just edging out the House Sparrows. Ground wise it is the mighty Robin, but only just in front of the Dunnock.

My next-door neighbour has a Mistle Thrush that will happily have a go at anything. I have seen him take on and beat seven Rooks, and then come back to flush out a cheeky male Blackbird who thought he was smart enough to nip in while the Rooks distacted the Mistle Thrush from his beloved berry bush.

Regards,

edrick owl

BC Chickadees for sure. As others have noted, will feed from your hand. But come nesting season they are the opposite. It takes careful observation to see them enter and exit their nest box.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back