• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great-horned Owl is a 'garden bird'. (1 Viewer)

MikeInPA

Fuck Trump
United States
In the US a garden is a space/place where you grow veggies. I don't have a garden as such, I have a front yard and a backyard. We share a 10 acre or so woodland with 2 neighbors either side of us with farmland all around us. Every year around this time we're hosts to a pair of Great-horned Owls. They may be around all year for all I know but around now is the time we know they're around due to them proclaiming their territory. They're enormous beasts, 18-24 inches tall with piercing eyes and a deep hoo hoo hoo sound. Each evening as the sun is setting they start their hooting mostly just the one but sometimes both of them. Most times they are down the bottom of the yard in the 100ft ivy covered trees and although I'd love to get a picture of one I haven't managed it yet. This evening around 4:30 I heard one in my neighbors yard and coming inside to grab my bins I found him right on the tree line to the West, all I could see was a silhouette against the setting sun. A little later I looked out and it had moved into my yard and although it was still a silhouette I watched it pooping and preening and what appeared to be regurgitating a pellet. I'm going to see if I can find it in the morning. I've tried several times to get a picture but they always spot me coming and fly off into the field. I missed my golden opportunity around 2 am one morning when I heard him as I got up to go for a pee. He was out front on a bare branch about 25 yards away. If I had gone downstairs, got my tripod, camera and flash, taken everything up into the bathroom, set it all up, quietly slid the window open, manually focussed all in the darkness I might have got a shot. Nah! Screw that I went back to bed.

Great-horned Owl

Until recently Mike, we had a Tawny Owl roost in the grdn.
Unfortunately the “roost tree” an ancient Ivy affair, died back and keeled over!
However, circa twice a year this strixly “nocturnal” species would show in broad daylight… for whatever reason? and luckily I was with bridge in hand and took full advantage….keep the faith.👍

Attachments

• IMG_1515.jpeg
    IMG_1515.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 4
  • P1880809.jpeg  Best Grdn. action Tawny for ret. 2+1.jpeg
    P1880809.jpeg Best Grdn. action Tawny for ret. 2+1.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back