• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Razor 85 HD (1 Viewer)

I have a few shots in a gallery on Flickr using the Vortex Razor HD with the 20-60X zoom eyepiece and using a couple of DSLR's (mostly a nikon d40)and a point-and-shoot (mostly a panasonic fh-1). Thought I would post a link for anyone interested in this nice scope: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ricksphotos0501/sets/72157626414908584/. I haven't used it extensively yet, and so these shots by no means illustrate the true potential of the scope. Will post more to this gallery as I get them. Will attach one photo of an Eastern Bluebird taken at a distance of around 60 feet with the fh-1. Post-processed in photoshop with unsharp mask, levels, and resized. The photo is uncropped.

Rick

Attachments

• eabb_294.jpg
    eabb_294.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 706
Nice shots Rick. I've just bought the Vortex Razor for my wife - Santa will deliver it soon. I'm going to pair it up with a Canon S95 P&S. If we can get shots similar to your we'll both be very happy.

regards

John

Nice shots Rick. I've just bought the Vortex Razor for my wife - Santa will deliver it soon. I'm going to pair it up with a Canon S95 P&S. If we can get shots similar to your we'll both be very happy.

regards

John

I've seen some great shots out of the Canon S95. Hopefully it will match well with the Vortex scope and you'll get even better shots.

Another from the Vortex Razor HD with a Nikon D40 (800 iso)at around 150 feet. Accidentally left the WB on "flash" so don't judge color too harshly. Used a nikkor 50mm f1.8 lens and the Vortex DCA.

Attachments

• bufflehead_112.jpg
    bufflehead_112.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 603
Another Vortex Razor HD shot this time with the Nikon Coolpix P6000. Couldn't entirely eliminate vignetting with the 20-60X eyepiece and this camera. This shot is a 30 % crop from about 30 feet.

Attachments

• eabb_3619.jpg
    eabb_3619.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 464
Wish we could see some photos from others for comparison. Doesn't seem to be much interest in this scope. Wonder why?

So what is your opinion of the scope for just scoping? I've been eying up this one for a while now. I have Vortex binos and love them so I'm inclined to dip into the same pool.

Just for scoping, I find the Vortex quite good. I think the views are close to what I get with my Celestron C80ED short-tube 80mm refractor and that thing is excellent. I just wish there was a wider selection of eyepieces for the Vortex or that eyepieces from some of the other manufacturers would fit this scope. What really gripes me, since I use the scope for digiscoping, is that their own 30X eyepiece won't work with the DCA the was specifically designed for the Razor!

Henry, I read your reviews and thanks for that information. It scared the shit out of me, so I star-tested the Vortex and didn't see anything close to the kinds of problems that were apparent in the copy you tested. I guess I got lucky. Still, I have a Celestron 100 F-ED spotting scope that cost less than half what I shelled out for the Vortex, and just viewing through the two scopes side-by-side I can't say that the Vortex is any better. Would really like to see results of star-testing a few more copies of the Vortex.

Rick,

I don't want to scare anybody... well, maybe just a little. Periodically, I like to remind folks who already know it or introduce to folks who don't know it the sad truth that predictions about the quality of a scope model are often wrong at the level of individual specimens because of pretty common, but random individual optical defects. Happy to hear that you got a good one.

Henry

Rick,

I don't want to scare anybody... well, maybe just a little. Periodically, I like to remind folks who already know it or introduce to folks who don't know it the sad truth that predictions about the quality of a scope model are often wrong at the level of individual specimens because of pretty common, but random individual optical defects. Happy to hear that you got a good one.

Henry

I understand, Henry. Maybe I exaggerated a bit on that "scared" statement ;). Star testing is something that most anyone can do to get some idea about a particular specimen of scope as it doesn't require any expensive equipment or an unusually difficult procedure. I totally agree with your point about sample variation. One good point about the Vortex is that they have a "no questions asked" lifetime warranty and so if you find you have a defective copy, you should be able to return it for a new one. Of course, you wouldn't want to have to exercise that option too many times. I would really like to see results of more copies of the Vortex being tested, and in particular would like to see how an average copy would hold up in comparison tests against an average copy of one of the "big name" brands, and not just someone alternately looking through the two scopes. That's been done, and the Vortex holds it own with the best in those types of tests. There just doesn't appear to be much interest in this scope or if so not many people are sharing their experiences.

Rick

Sora and Tree Swallow
Vortex Razor HD 20-60X scope
Nikon D40 with Nikon 50mm f/1.8 lens

Attachments

• sora_105.jpg
    sora_105.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 319
  • tsw_045.jpg
    tsw_045.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 303
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back