• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

what 10 birds would you most like to see in your lifetime (1 Viewer)

Hi my top ten would be ( in no particular order ) :

1. American Redstart B :)

2. Belted Kingfisher B :)

3. Chestnut-sided Warbler B :)

4. Spoonbill Sandpiper B :)

5. Harlequin Duck B :)

6. Red-Billed Tropicbird B :)

7. Any Albatross B :)

8. Northern Hawk Owl B :)

9. Bald Eagle B :)

10. Wallcreeper B :)

Plus many more and yes i would get very drunk if i found any of these when walking around Scillys one autumn ...lol

http://robs-birding.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
1 Harpy & Philippine Eagles
2 either Picathartes
3 Night Parrot - they're obviously out there, the problem is...where?? Seen Kakapo, so almost!
4 Marvellous Spatuletail
5 Emperor Penguin
6 any BOP other than Oz ones, astrapias and sicklebills especially
7 any Ground-Roller
8 Kagu
9 Ivory-breasted Pitta
10 Kinglet Calyptura

This is pretty close to my top ten wanted expect I have seen Harpy would be happy with any BOP (especially Wallace's Standardwing), and would also like to mention Bornean Bristlehead and any fruit-dove.

steller's sea eagle
steller's sea eagle
steller's sea eagle
steller's sea eagle
steller's sea eagle
steller's sea eagle
steller's sea eagle
steller's sea eagle
steller's sea eagle
steller's sea eagle juvenile

Get to the Shiritoko Peninsula in winter, they're like Feral Pigeons. When the fishing fleets come in they are practically feeding out of your hand and you end up thinking " Oh No. Not another bl**dy Stellers"
Chris
Sorry about that, they are truly magnificent, and you aren't far from Kushiro with displaying Japanese Cranes. Stunning.
C

Hoopoe - my ultimate bogey bird.
Snowy Owl
Saw Whet Owl
Hawk Owl
Ural Owl
Gyr Falcon
Aplomado Falcon
Black Shouldered Kite
Harlequin Duck
Ross's Gull

1.european bee eater
2.hoopoe
3.great bustard
4.andean condor
5.gyrfalcon
6.dartford warbler
7.snowy owl
8.red necked phalarope
9.spoon billed sandpiper
10.smew
i could go on for ever..........squacco heron, cebu flowerpecker, brambling..........

I can't think of ten but I just saw a video of Steller's Sea Eagle and I would love to see them. I also would like to see a Hoopoe because I like the picture I saw in the photograph competition here.

I've seen too many Bald Eagles at my former house in Washington. There is one or more in the backyard (greenbelt). I have seen them swoop down and catch mice less than 75 feet away from me. There is also an owl living back there as I used to hear him/her "whoo-ing" at night. The problem with a greenbelt in the backyard is Deer in the front eating your plants.

Steller's Sea Eagle
Roller
Harpy Eagle
King Eider
Pallid Harrier
Lappet Faced Vulture
Hoopoe
Red Footed/Amur Falcon
White Goshawk
Desert Wheatear

I would love to see many others (Collard Flycatchers,Green Heron, Lanceolated and Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler, Black Stork...)

Subspecies include White headed Long Tailed tit, African Desert Warbler and African House Bunting

Mammals
Orca
Leopard
Snow Leopard
African Wild Dog
Water Buffalo
Wolf
Wolverine
Fossa
Lion
naked Mole Rat

in no particular order:

Marvellous Spatuletail
Blue-headed Pitta
Banded Pitta
Sao Tome Grosbeak
Philippine Eagle
Hyacinth Macaw
Spoon-billed Sandpiper (gutted I dipped that last year)
Wallace's Standard-wing
Picathartes (either)
Lilac Kingfisher

edit: oh just realised no space for Whitehead's Broadbill.... I'll include it on my list anyway, it's only small ;)

Last edited:
This will probably result in highly raised eyebrows from the old hands but:

Merlin (what!)
White-tailed Sea Eagle
Peregrine (I think I saw a glimpse of one at Skomer but really would love to see one properly)
Red Kite (I know, I know...)
Little Auk
Corncrake
Phalarope (any kind!)
Firecrest
Golden Eagle
Hen Harrier

plus Little Gull, Crossbill... lots really. Ok so a lot of those are easy to see but I don't get around that much.

Quite a lot of these birds I'd like to see as vagrants as Britain, yet some of these have never been recorded here. In no particular order:

1. Black Stork (adult)
2. Baikal Teal (drake)
3. Harlequin Duck (drake)
4. Lammergeier
5. Steller's Eagle
6. Gyr Falcon (white morph)
7. Painted Snipe
8. Black Woodpecker
9. Northern Cardinal
10. Snowy Owl (adult male)

Probably pretty similar to most people that haven't seen any of these species before. ;)

Last edited:
Harpy Eagle
Steller's Sea-eagle
Chinese Crested tern (dipped on it two weeks ago)
Whitehead's Trogon (sprained my knee in Borneo and couldn't walk all the trails)
Rufous-Vented Ground-Cuckoo
Spoon-billed Sandpiper
Superb Lyrebird
Lanceolated Monklet
Laughing Kookaburra
Oilbird

My could go on forever, but here are some of them:

Snowy owl
Steller's sea eagle
Red-crowned crane
White's thrush
Condor
Lammergeier
Varied thrush
Wandering albatross
Galapagos dove
Golden oriole

I am gonna try on the last one tomorrow... let's hope I get one!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back