• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue Tit Checking Out Nestbox (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
Just seen a Blue Tit checking out the Nestbox on the shed. Whilst having breakfast I noticed it was peering inside, flying off and coming back again.

The Blue Tit(I’m assuming it is the one I saw on Friday)was distracting me having breakfast by going to the nestbox on the shed (not the camera one) this time it went in and out a few times sounds promising.

Oooh!! Good luck Euan. Shame he's not chosen the camera one so you could keep an eye on proceedings though.

Not very considerate of him! LOL

Oooh!! Good luck Euan. Shame he's not chosen the camera one so you could keep an eye on proceedings though.

Not very considerate of him! LOL

The Camera Nestbox is normally used by Great Tits they used it in 2017 and 2018 (though in 2018 was a unsuccessful brood because all the chicks died due to the lack of food because it was a very dry Spring) they didn't use the box last year but they had used in October to sleep in so fingers crossed they use it this year. They don't normally start building till around end of April time.

Think last night was the first time I saw The Blue Tit sleep in the box. I saw her fly into the box but she didn't fly out. I still haven't seen them with nesting material yet.

We have a couple making a nest in the bat box we have at the allotment! Last year something (crow/magpie?) broke through the side of the wooden box, we are assuming the concrete bat box is a safer bet!

Same here, nest building started 2 days ago, Blue Tits definitely punch above their weight, successfully chasing off Great Tits this morning!

Sadly The Blue Tits didn't move into the box and yesterday I noticed why there is a wasp nest inside, I can't open the lid because it's glued shut so I have just ordered a new box from The RSPB.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back