• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nestbox still in use? (1 Viewer)

I have a nestbox in my garden which was being used by a wee wren in the summer. After the chicks had successfully fledged and the wren had long disappeared I checked the box and removed an abondoned egg. Yesterday I went to take it down to clean it, and there are two more tiny eggs in it. There doesn’t seem to be any parent about as far as I’ve seen. I’m hesitant to clear it out and clean it if something is currently using it, but I do need to give it a clean before spring. Not quite sure what to do?

Hi Joe and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. That really is strange. The only species I know that lay eggs, just about every month of the year are Collared Doves and Wood Pigeons, but they would be too big for that box I would think. Worth keeping an eye out to see if you can spot who it is. Just another wee thought is perhaps a squirrel or even a Jay perhaps has found some eggs and is caching them there for the winter???

All things Scottish can be found here. Also, keep an eye on threads titled something like Scottish Bashes; we try to meet up occasionally and they're always great fun. You'd be most welcome to join us on another if you can manage.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

They wouldn't have to enter it, just drop it through the hole.

That's if the egg isn't bigger than the hole of course!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back