• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Argentina Iberà (1 Viewer)

charelli

I don't have a proper guide. Is there someone who can tell me the name of this black bird?
The picture was taken in November 2013 in Iberà.

Attachments

• 13110529 Blackbird.jpg
    13110529 Blackbird.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 62
Thank You for your response, but I am still in doubt. Looking in opus is it also possible to be an Unicolored Blackbird? Specially the form and size of the beak makes me confused.

Thank You for your response, but I am still in doubt. Looking in opus is it also possible to be an Unicolored Blackbird? Specially the form and size of the beak makes me confused.

This is a better suggestion. I don't think this is chopi for 2 reasons: the bill and the head feathers. The shape of the bill is different in chopi, and in particular, chopi has an odd "corrugation" (structure of ridges) on the lower mandible which is (IME) quite obvious in the field. Bill shape also rules out shiny cowbird, I think.

Head feathering of chopi is rougher than the rest of the body giving a shaggy appearance. In contrast, it's smooth in this image.

Agree with Unicolored Blackbird - bill structure and body structure look spot on. Certainly not any Cowbird with that long, dagger like bill. I never noticed the corrugation on the bill of Chopi Blackbird, thanks for pointing that out THE_FERN!

Cheers all,
Josh

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back