• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

G3 birds in flight (1 Viewer)

Winterdune

I just purchased a G3 and 100-300 lens. I spent a while agonising about whether to get a DSLR because I like the idea of trying to photograph birds in flight, and it is commonly stated that µ43 cameras just don't have the speed of tracking focus to do them well. But for me, in the end I just knew that lugging a full sized DSLR kit around would not work for me.

So when I got the G3 on Saturday I thought I'd have a crack at birds in flight, to see what I could manage. Given my low expectations I'm not at all unhappy.

Sean

Attachments

• 18BC9B50996448CFA117BE9869D1D99C.jpg
    18BC9B50996448CFA117BE9869D1D99C.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 448
  • 76AA584366FC4201A62C40DECFDF1112.jpg
    76AA584366FC4201A62C40DECFDF1112.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 362
  • D3B61701D4724378A7525ACFD86C1BEB.jpg
    D3B61701D4724378A7525ACFD86C1BEB.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 370
  • 70E2CE1CBDD946018D1D43D81E43BC42.jpg
    70E2CE1CBDD946018D1D43D81E43BC42.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 416
  • C2A54756AE3F41318A871038709AB97A.jpg
    C2A54756AE3F41318A871038709AB97A.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 357
EXIF is intact on the pics over at DPreview: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=38814523

Basically I used the spot focus on the largest square box setting and +.66EV for the sky. ISO and priority varied I think as I was experimenting. I'm not really qualified to give a detailed review as this is my first "serious" camera, but I'll continue to post any decent shots I get... BTW thanks Niels - you helped me to make up my mind on the camera!

Sean

EXIF is intact on the pics over at DPreview: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=38814523

Basically I used the spot focus on the largest square box setting and +.66EV for the sky. ISO and priority varied I think as I was experimenting. I'm not really qualified to give a detailed review as this is my first "serious" camera, but I'll continue to post any decent shots I get... BTW thanks Niels - you helped me to make up my mind on the camera!

Sean

Great to see this thread and congrats on your new camera Sean. I'm in the process of saving up for the GH2 + 100-300mm lens. May I ask why you went for the G3 rather than the GH2?

I'd be pretty pleased with those flight shots too. The details on the swifts are good. Did you use manual or autofocus?

Thanks
Hobbes

Great to see this thread and congrats on your new camera Sean. I'm in the process of saving up for the GH2 + 100-300mm lens. May I ask why you went for the G3 rather than the GH2?

I'd be pretty pleased with those flight shots too. The details on the swifts are good. Did you use manual or autofocus?

Thanks
Hobbes

Hi Hobbes,

I chose the G3 because
a) it's a lot cheaper
b) it has better high ISO detail
c) I like the fact that it's metal (the GH2 is plastic)
d) I am not worried about mic input or 1080 50p VS 1080 50i/25p video (and am thinking about getting a Sony HX100V superzoom, when the price drops, which has superb video in any case).
e) My thinking is that if I really get into this then the thing I'll replace in a few years is the body rather than the lens so why not start cheap.

Another good thing is that I have found that I don't need any additional external controls such as on the GH2 as almost everything I use can be accessed via the buttons rather than the touch-screen.

On the negative side I don't like the touch screen at all as a concept or in practice, since I shoot with EVF almost all the time, and there are occasions when one has to use it - the time I have found myself using it most so far is to change the size of the single area autofocus. If anyone knows how to do this via the menus rather than touching the screens I'd like to know!

All the shots were autofocus.

Cheers,
Sean

On the negative side I don't like the touch screen at all as a concept or in practice, since I shoot with EVF almost all the time, and there are occasions when one has to use it - the time I have found myself using it most so far is to change the size of the single area autofocus. If anyone knows how to do this via the menus rather than touching the screens I'd like to know!

Cheers,
Sean

Good luck as you continue developing your skills on your new camera!

The way I have gotten around changing the size of the autofocus point on the GH2 is via the costum settings. I have two saved settings that mainly differ in the size of the focus point. If I have the camera on one of those (which both are based on shutter priority) and want to use say aperture priority instead, the size of the focus point seems to stay constant when I turn to A on the wheel. I have not looked carefully at the G3, but I think the C-options are there as well?

Niels

Hi Sean
That's helpful to hear thank you. I hadn't considered the G3 so I'm glad you've brought it my attention. The price tag is certainly appealing ;). I don't like the touch-screen aspect of these cameras either but I had read that certianly with the GH2, it was easily useable without recruiting the touch screen.

Anyway, lots to think about.
Thanks
Hobbes

Hi Hobbes,

I chose the G3 because
a) it's a lot cheaper
b) it has better high ISO detail
c) I like the fact that it's metal (the GH2 is plastic)
d) I am not worried about mic input or 1080 50p VS 1080 50i/25p video (and am thinking about getting a Sony HX100V superzoom, when the price drops, which has superb video in any case).
e) My thinking is that if I really get into this then the thing I'll replace in a few years is the body rather than the lens so why not start cheap.

Another good thing is that I have found that I don't need any additional external controls such as on the GH2 as almost everything I use can be accessed via the buttons rather than the touch-screen.

All the shots were autofocus.

Cheers,
Sean

Spent some more time trying to photograph swifts this evening following some tips on the dpreview thread about shutter speed and turning off IS. Mixed results, and I'm becoming worryingly addicted to shooting swifts...

EDIT - I just added a picture of a swift feeding. Not as good an image but look at that gape! It's like a baleen whale!

Attachments

• 20E20463A5594D4DA0981D188A581E47.jpg
    20E20463A5594D4DA0981D188A581E47.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 392
  • FD98AA3712514C2C90C9C277BACD08FC.jpg
    FD98AA3712514C2C90C9C277BACD08FC.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 291
  • D5D71AEDCA00455FA99DC742C9C214E0.jpg
    D5D71AEDCA00455FA99DC742C9C214E0.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 290
  • P1000758.JPG
    P1000758.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 369
Last edited:
Spent some more time trying to photograph swifts this evening following some tips on the dpreview thread about shutter speed and turning off IS. Mixed results, and I'm becoming worryingly addicted to shooting swifts...

EDIT - I just added a picture of a swift feeding. Not as good an image but look at that gape! It's like a baleen whale!

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen the gape of an adult swift before - it's enormous! The flight shots are definitely coming on, Sean. Do you have any other 'non-flight' bird photos you've taken with your G3 + 100-300mm lens. I'd like to get an idea of the results you can achieve please (straight out of camera, if possible).
Thanks
Hobbes

I haven't really got out with it yet Hobbes - just shots from my garden. As soon as I have I'll add some.
Sean

EDIT
Just popped into the garden and this Wood Pigeon landed nearby. Here's a couple of very uninspiring snaps shot in evening shade. But they are both ISO 3200, straight out of camera jpegs, and the lack of noise is very impressive. Full size versions are available over at DPreview.

Attachments

• 53765A61C17D40759FABE00C29BBCACD.jpg
    53765A61C17D40759FABE00C29BBCACD.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 276
  • DB496F76154741D1BFFDB043A0479B2F.jpg
    DB496F76154741D1BFFDB043A0479B2F.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:
I haven't really got out with it yet Hobbes - just shots from my garden. As soon as I have I'll add some.
Sean

EDIT
Just popped into the garden and this Wood Pigeon landed nearby. Here's a couple of very uninspiring snaps shot in evening shade. But they are both ISO 3200, straight out of camera jpegs, and the lack of noise is very impressive. Full size versions are available over at DPreview.

Thanks Sean. Yes, the lack of noise at high ISO is very impressive. That's the main reason that I'm being tempted away from purchasing the GH2 towards the G3. Thanks for posting these. I'll keep an eye on this thread for more updates. I hope you get the weather and time to get out and enjoy your camera soon :t:
Hobbes

Hobbes, one thing I find annoying about high ISO is that the EVF blacks out for a lot longer than low ISO shots as the camera processes the photograph. On lower ISO shots I can follow flying birds with the EVF but at 3200 it's impossible. Don't know how the GH2 compares in this respect.
Sean

Hobbes, one thing I find annoying about high ISO is that the EVF blacks out for a lot longer than low ISO shots as the camera processes the photograph. On lower ISO shots I can follow flying birds with the EVF but at 3200 it's impossible. Don't know how the GH2 compares in this respect.
Sean

I haven't noticed any difference, but I will do some checks.

Edit: on DPReview I think someone complained about loss of details to an overly active noise reduction at high iso in G3, any comments?

Niels

Those are really nice shots.

I think the best comparison is to the same camera at lower iso. If the higher iso shots are missing too much details, you can do some test shots with NR turned down to see if that makes a difference (or shoot jpg + raw and process the raw yourself to see if more details are in there). It is ultimately down to personal preference: which settings produce the shots you like.

Niels

Sean

Thanks for the warning, Sean. I tried to find out if it was present on the GH2 but couldn't. Seems kinda strange.

Neils, I'd be very interested to hear if there's this same slow screen refresh rate for the high end ISO setting on the GH2. It won't be a deal-breaker - more of a case of being forewarned.

I'm torn between the two bodies. On the one hand, the GH2 reportedly has better low ISO IQ but the G3 has better high ISO IQ. The dynamic range is marginally better on the GH2. The metal body of the G3 is more appealing than the plastic of the GH2. Both have the Extra Tele Conversion (ETC) mode, which is important to me. Basically, both cameras look excellent! I like the price tag of the G3. Decisions, decisions....

Hobbes

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back