• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can I use a Canon 350D with an Opticron ES80ED(?) for digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Hi there

I have recently purchased a Canon 350D with several nice lenses. However, I was wondering whether I can use this camera with my Opticron scope (think the model is the ES80ED) for digiscoping? If so, what kind of adapters etc would I need?

Also, does anyone know if the Nikon Coolpix S4 is any good for digiscoping?

Thanks

Amanda :cat:

Amanda, you can indeed use your 350d with this scope [same set-up as mine]. I use a 23x HDF eyepiece with my scope. You will also require an opticron tele-photo adapter and T-piece..to couple camera to the body..I,m sure I posted pictures of my gear some time back, I,ll have a look later..hope this helps.

Thanks Henry. I will investigate Opticron website. I have a 20-60 zoom on my scope but it looks like I can buy an adapter for it. Thanks for your help.

Amanda

Disco Panda said:
Thanks Henry. I will investigate Opticron website. I have a 20-60 zoom on my scope but it looks like I can buy an adapter for it. Thanks for your help.

Amanda

Amanda

I don't think the Opticron SLR adapters work with the HDF/SDL zoom eyepeices, I think they only work with a couple of the fixed mag HDF eyepeices. You will find that the effective f stop that these adapters give means you need very good light to use them. Focal length and f stop depend on the eyepeice used, but I know it can be as bad a f22! not ideal when taking photos in the UK!

I'd recommend getting to a shop and trying one for yourself, see how you get on with it as they're not for everyone.

postcardcv said:
Amanda

I don't think the Opticron SLR adapters work with the HDF/SDL zoom eyepeices, I think they only work with a couple of the fixed mag HDF eyepeices. You will find that the effective f stop that these adapters give means you need very good light to use them. Focal length and f stop depend on the eyepeice used, but I know it can be as bad a f22! not ideal when taking photos in the UK!

I'd recommend getting to a shop and trying one for yourself, see how you get on with it as they're not for everyone.

Thanks. I've just been looking on the net and decided the zoom eyepeice isn't good for this. Apparently there is an HDF telephotoadapter which replaces the eyepiece. I think I will have to test some out. The alternative is setting up my boyfriend's Swaro ATS80 for digiscoping with my Canon 350 or buyng a completely new compact for digiscoping. Decisions decisions!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back