• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with city birding (1 Viewer)

Arunav

Arunav
I live in a city, and it's really difficult to bird amongs't the bustling streets, and noises. Also birds dont seem to come in numbers, and not many places, trees and food and water sources are available.

Please help and tips and techniques.

I need the same help cause in the city all i get are house and chipping sparrows and out at the lake i got 22 different species of bird in two days!

I have 6 feeders and a birdbath and suet out and only sparrows!

Thanks...

Arunav said:
I live in a city, and it's really difficult to bird amongs't the bustling streets, and noises. Also birds dont seem to come in numbers, and not many places, trees and food and water sources are available.

Please help and tips and techniques.

I live in a city too, the best places to go are cemeteries and parks. The more quiet the better.

Good luck,
Erwin

Erwin Driessens said:
I live in a city too, the best places to go are cemeteries and parks. The more quiet the better.

Good luck,
Erwin

Excellent advice. Canals, rivers, waste ground, sewage farms/water treatment works are worth a try as well.

I bird primarily in a city also. First I would scout out any parks or gardens to see what the possibilities are. Generally the places that have a mix of trees, shrubs, and water sources are best. Also waterfront areas should turn up birds - if you have any lakes or rivers check those, especially when water birds are in migration.

The key with urban birding is to be patient. Most of the time the birds you see will be common, but uncommon birds do show up with regularity. I find the best action is during the spring and fall migration seasons. Birds that otherwise would have nothing to do with an urban area can show up then. At those times, even tiny plots can be productive - D.C.'s first black-chinned hummingbird showed up in a very small garden between two museums.

As a last resort, try getting out of the city from time to time. If you don't have your own means of doing so, perhaps you could carpool with other local birders.

I find Burger drive thru car parks good for watching Carrion crow, Magpie, Jackdaw, Rook, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Herring Gull, Black Headed Gull, Starling, House Sparrow and Dunnock regularly.
Best is usually to get a breakfast and cut dice half the scrambled egg then scatter off the tray. Sometimes upset restraunt litter patrol - but more often than not the birds flock down to clear it up quickly.
Occassionall get Blue Tit, Robin, Pied Wagtail, Goldfinch and Chaffinch too.
Really common species, but can offer really close views. I`ve even had Carrion Crows (my favourite) and Starling sitting on my wing mirror and eating from my hand.

birding in the city

In winter, the best tip I can give is look for feeders (seed, hummingbird, fruit, suet) as these are where the birds congregate.
In summer, look for water sources. All it takes is a drip to attract birds on a hot summer day.
Next, look for cover in the form of trees, bushes, overhangs etc where they can feel comfortable and are not exposed.
Try nest boxes and other sites where they might nest such as holes under roofs etc.
I can also recommned planting native plants and trees around your own home and yard, especially berry bushes for fruit eaters & nectar plants for hummers. This will be your best best for finding birds in the future!
Good luck.

Parks in the city.. do you not have these.?
we have an abundance of them and also
as someone mentioned, fall and spring we
see a great deal more. We also have our Lake
and many go there..

As well as a well known park, where the hawks go through
in September, I have been told.

Enjoy.

[

Parks in the city.. do you not have these..
we have an abundance of them and also
as someone mentioned, fall and spring we
see a great deal more. We also have our Lake
and many go there..

We also have a beautiful park in the city
for hawk watching in September.
Can not wait.

Enjoy.
Hope you see some birds soon..

I am an urban dweller as well. I have been pleasantly surprised by the diversity of birds I have seen around. Normally I only get a handful of different birds at my tiny little feeding station, but we have a neighborhood Cooper's Hawk, and I have seen other hawks catching a quick bite through even the most populated areas of the city.
It is very hard finding a decnt spot for birding in the city. You have to find something you are comfortable with that is the right environment for birds.

Funny, where I live, the spots with the most abundant bird sitings are near the city...of course, those of us who don't live out in the wonderful country side are going to do some serious seeking for good areas to get away!

Good luck
Keep us posted!

Best
Elizabeth

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back