• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

herring gull swallow live full grown rat? (1 Viewer)

scuba0095

HEllo

A friend of mine claims that just a couple of days ago while waiting at the ferry he spotted a large brown rat traveling among the rocks on the side of a lake. AND OUT Of no where a common ordinary herring gull swooped on it like a raptor bit it a few times then swallowed it down ALIVE like a snake!

IS IT common for a herring gull to take such huge prey? My friend claims this rat was very large! ALso do they often eat prey while its STILL ALIVE? :scribe: :egghead: :-O :-C :gn:

Great black-backed gulls will eat puffins that they catch on the wing, whole and alive, so I can't see any reason why a herring gull which is only a bit smaller cannot do the same to a rat.

London Birder said:
the way they can manouvare a live crab down their gullets leaves me unsurprised by this report

Classic short note in an early Scottish Birds which had photographs of a Herring Gull which had swallowed a mole and the mole had then ripped its way halfway out of the stomach before they both died!

Also a note in British Birds I think on a Bonxie which eat some sort of eel I think, which then burst out of the bird.

There are dangers in eating live food!

any one remember the picture in the front of the birdwatching magazine with the gull swallowing a young rabbit,they wait by the burrows and wait for anything that will fit down their throats!,bins with wings.

matt

But still a brown rat is such a fiesty nasty animal! If you have seen one attacked you will see they put up damn good fights! I had a cat get his nose bitten pretty bad from a rat that he killed. YOu would think it would rip the bird up while he was swallowing it!

I seem to remember reading somewhere years ago (in British Birds?) of a couple of cases of gulls eating live rats, then the rats clawing their way out, killing the bird. Not recommended!

I saw a cormorant on Bosherston Pools which struggled with a 3ft eel for about 10 minutes before managing to swallow it whole and you could still see the eel wriggling in its neck. A short while later the same cormorant was seen doing the same thing again. The greedy little so-and-so. I know it's not a herring gull but it just reminded me of it.

Gus

scuba0095 said:
But still a brown rat is such a fiesty nasty animal! If you have seen one attacked you will see they put up damn good fights! I had a cat get his nose bitten pretty bad from a rat that he killed. YOu would think it would rip the bird up while he was swallowing it!

Absolutely. I've seen Brown Rats fight a ferret out of a hole on several occasions, and terriers badly wounded on the nose by rat bites. I'm sure a Herring Gull is well capable of killing a rat, so why would it eat it alive?

saluki

Not far from where I grew up there is a big Common gull colony. In the meadows nearby in summer, I have seen Common gulls kill voles with the following method: flying low over the meadow, suddenly swooping down and crushing the scull with a well aimed peck with the beak, landing and swallowing the often still struggling vole whole. When hunting Common gulls were disturbed accidentally , I could go and have a look at the victims . these few voles I saw were badly injured (crushed sculls!) and died soon, but where sometimes still moving weakly for some time.

perhaps this was similar here?

saluki said:
Absolutely. I've seen Brown Rats fight a ferret out of a hole on several occasions, and terriers badly wounded on the nose by rat bites. I'm sure a Herring Gull is well capable of killing a rat, so why would it eat it alive?

saluki

Like Saluki I have seen ferrets and dogs badly bitten by rats. I remember once seeing a large Border Collie which used to terrorize people passing the farm where it lived put to flight by a large brown rat.

Below is the location of a photo I placed in the gallery some time ago showing a Heron with a rat. I watched the Heron kill the rat and even dead the Heron appeared to struggle to pick up the rat and dropped it a few times before disappearing.

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/66870/sort/1/cat/500/page/3

I've hear those stories about a gull eating a rat, which clawed its way out again, killing the gull. I think it was an uncle who claimed to have seen it.

But rats can put up a fight. As a kid I chased one down and caught it by the tail, it swung up, bit my thumb and held on for a couple of seconds. Needless to say, the rat got away and I ended up at the doctors.

Squid

Good grief! How fascinating. I've nether thought of the consequences of a bird eating live prey. I just thought it would die very quickly from the digestive juices.

Sandra
:eek!:

urrghfrrr - I feel sick. Who saw Alien? :eek!: (sorry Keith, just noticed you've already mentioned this gastronomic nightmare)

:eat: Herring gulls have become eating machines and are very capable of adaptive behaviour such as stomping on grass to draw up worms, flying low to steal a sandwich from an unsuspecting diner, even seen one eating a dead blackbird which certainly didn't look like a cat-kill or road kill! They can open bin bags, undo boxes, get the lid off a dustbin :scribe: (though Ive yet to see one open a tin can) - they'll eat ANYTHING!! (including your eyes given half the chance - remember Hitchcock's 'The Birds'! :eek!: ) Not surprisingly, they could eat something that disagrees with them (something we're not allowed to do on BF of course :'D )

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back