• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which 1.4 teleconverter for Sigma 50-500 w/Canon? (1 Viewer)

Lisa W

I really need to get out and bird more
Staff member
Supporter
United States
I know this has been asked before and I have trolled through all of the posts that look like they might have the answer, but can't find it. So here goes:
I have a Canon 20D utilizing my Sigma 50-500mm EX DG HSM lens. I would like to be able to put a 1.4 converter on it and have autofocus on bright sunny days (we get a lot of those here in Arizona). I currently have the TAMRON SP AF Tele-converter. I have taped the 3 pins on the left side as I look at the lens side of the converter. Can't get autofocus at all. I am using plain clear scotch tape. Is that the correct tape to use? Do I need to use a different teleconverter? Or should I just give up?
Since my better half has just shot down my getting a prime lens - I''m going to have this lens for a while as my primary birding lens. And don't get me wrong it is very nice and works very well. But I would like to get a bit more distance from it.
Any help is appreciated.

I think that with the 50-500 you will need to rely on manual focus if you add a 1.4x tc, I know others who have tried it with the pin taping trick but it doesn't seem to work.

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. Just have to trust my trifocals a little!

I have owned the same camera/ lens combination and have tried both Sigma 1.4x and Jessops 2x converters with it. Even by taping the pins I found that autofocus worked only about 10% of the time in good light and that involved a lot of "hunting". Manual focus is a much more reliable method.

Thanks, sandpiper. Unfortunately with my eyesight that is extremely difficult. Hey, at least it's a digital and I can just trash the bad ones instead of spending money on the prints!

Lisa W said:
Thanks, sandpiper. Unfortunately with my eyesight that is extremely difficult. Hey, at least it's a digital and I can just trash the bad ones instead of spending money on the prints!

I've tried the 50-500 with both 1.4 and 2X, what can I say? Put it this way, I no longer own the converters! ;)
Neither provided good images under any conditions. It just pushes the 50-500mm too far. I love the Bigma, it's just not suitable to use with converters, at least in the test I did anyway!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back