• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscope adapter for ATS/80 HD? (1 Viewer)

David64

Hello everyone, I am hoping someone might offer a suggestion for the most useful adapter for a Swarovski ATS/80 HD scope to attach to a Nikon Coolpix 4500. The camera has a 28mm thread. I know Swarovski makes one, but I am curious about what other digiscopers are using and why. Hope everyone is well and thank you in advance.
David

I am using the Swarovski adapter for same setup with no problems. Can't comment on others but I'm sure you will soon have numerous replies.

Tom

Hi David,

On behalf of Admin and the Moderators, welcome to Bird Forum :t:

I Have experience of the Swarovski adapter and the London Camera Exchange version. The Swaro one is superbly made and perfect for using with a zoom eyepiece, but is rather expensive. The LCE adapter is a simpler light weight design at about half the price, easy to fit and remove but needs loosening and lifting in order to adjust the eyepiece zoom.

The Swarovsky camera adapter does not fit the ATS-type fixed magnification eyepieces because of their tapered design. This is the case with the 45x eyepiece, and I imagine the same is true for the 30x as it is the same shape. The zoom eyepiece, which is cylindrical not tapered, is the one you must use with this adapter. I seem to remember that the Swarovsky website is unclear on this point, as it states that its adapter is for use with all eyepieces. Really nice adapter, though. Works extremely well with the zoom eyepiece.

We find the SpiderTech adapter, which screws onto the camera using the 28mm filter thread, extremely useful. It just slots onto a keyed ring that is permanently attached to the scope, and does not interfere with its normal operation in any way. The zoom can be altered without difficulty while the camera is attached.

LCE in Winchester are the agents in the UK.

PS - our scope is angled.

Last edited:
phlebas said:
The Swarovsky camera adapter does not fit the ATS-type fixed magnification eyepieces because of their tapered design. This is the case with the 45x eyepiece, and I imagine the same is true for the 30x as it is the same shape. The zoom eyepiece, which is cylindrical not tapered, is the one you must use with this adapter.

I can confirm that the Swarovsky DCA adapter is not optimal for the 20xS eyepiece. But it can be made to work quite well by simply wrapping non-adhesive tennis racquet tape around the top of the eyepiece barrel so that there is additiional support when mounted.

Someone (I think it was on Birdforum.net) also said that the 30xS fits quite nicely. I'm a little skeptical because of the shape, but then I don't have the eyepiece handy and if it has a slightly larger base than the 20xS, then I can imagine it working quite well with no modification. Either way, I suspect all can be made to work well with the simple and non-destructive modification I mentioned.

I consider the adapter to be very good with the zoom eyepiece, but it falls short of excellent because it does not provide a way to zoom the eyepiece seemlessly. To zoom, you must either tolerate the camera spinning, or loosen the camera barrel clamp, zoom, and then retighten the camera barrel clamp. Its not a major undertaking, but I think a truly excellent design would allow zooming without the additional bother.

There is a Mr. Cheang in Malaysia who will machine such an adapter for a bit more than $200. There are a few people around who have his adapters and so far all have been quite pleased.

LCE is perfect.I know as I struggled all last year with the Eagle eye,and Swar own make,but LCE full marks.

Good idea Jay, I like the non-adhesive tape solution. I have a ring-clamp I use at the base of the eyepiece to give the adapter something to hold onto, but your idea has got me thinking. Thanks!

My only complaint with the Swaro adapter is that you have to unscrew the eyepeice on the zoom,and that once on cannot use te zoom if required.

John

jthatch555 said:
My only complaint with the Swaro adapter is that you have to unscrew the eyepeice on the zoom,and that once on cannot use te zoom if required.
John

There is a piece of the DCA that clamps directly to the eyepiece and a piece that then clamps to that first piece. If you loosen the clamping knob on this second piece, you can easily zoom the eyepiece - using the clamping knob of the first piece for easy grip. Then you simply reclamp the second piece before taking your picture.

Its not elegant, but the zoom is definitely accessible this way.

Another little trick is to place the clamping knob of the first piece directly opposite the 20X mark on the eyepiece. This will place the knob at 12 oclock when the scope is at 20x. Now you can estimate the eyepiece zoom by feeling where the know is.

Jay thank you for the tip,I try this and let you know how I have got on.Would you have any suggestions to how one can put the first part of the adapter on without having to always take off the eyepiece.
Many Thanks,

John

I have the Swaro adapater for the ATS 80 HD as well and it is designed so the zoom can be used with the adapter in place.

You first fit the narrow collar around the eyepiece to just above the lower edge of the turning zoom section. As Jay says if you set it so the screw is over the 20x mark and tighten it you can judge how much zoom you have in use.

Next fit the wider section to the camera and slot it over the eyepiece section and tighten it.

To adjust the eyepiece zoom, simply slacken the screw on the wider camera section of the adapter and then adjust the zoom by moving the collar of the thinner section to the right.

It's imporatant though that you position the thinner section correctly and not 'all the way' down the eyepiece. It does increase vignetting slightly but is easy to use.

Oops! I see you have that answered already 8-P

By 'without removing the eyepiece' I take it you mean just the eye relief section?

I leave the lower collar in place all of the time which means the eye relief can be fitted back in place when not taking photos. Though normally I leave the eye relief back at home as I wear glasses and get better views without it in place. In addition the camera can be fitted without that horrible squeal when you unscrew the eye relief :t:

Ian,many thanks,I also wear specs.but am not to keen to put the glass of my specs on to the bare metal of the scope if you leave off the eyepiece,I will experiment with your suggestions via the zoom.

John

I Have Just Been In Contact With Swarovski In Austria They Have Told Me The Following.
The Dca Fits Exactly To The Ats 80 And The 30x S Eyepiece.
It Will Only Fit The New Eyepiece With The "s" , And Not The Older Eyepiece Without The "s".
THIS MEANS IT FITS ALL EYEPIECES 20X,30X,45X AND 20-60 ZOOM.

Last edited:
"THIS MEANS IT FITS ALL EYEPIECES 20X,30X,45X AND 20-60 ZOOM." -- peter

I can tell you from personal experience that this is simply not true. In my case I discovered that the Swarovsky camera adapter does not fit the 45x ATS eyepiece properly. Others have said the same for the 20x eyepieces. You can either customize the eyepiece or the adapter to fit (see above post by Jay Turberville for some helpful advice with tape), but it doesn't work properly "as is"... at least that's the case with my 45x, and apparently with Jay's 20x.

Im Sorry If I Am Wrong But That Is What I Was Told By Swarvoski.
Can Anyone Suggest A Good Adaptor, I Have Been Looking At Eagle Eye But They Say You Need To Take The Rubber Off Of The Eyepiece Top To Fit The 20-60 Zoom.
I Would Also Like To Be Able To Use My 2ox,30x & 45x If Needed For Digiscoping.
Not To Bothered About Price.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back