• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inspiration needed (1 Viewer)

Steve Keen

Had planned a big tour of northern Argentina in January, which could still happen if things change if physio suddenly starts working, but as things stand I need help coming up with an alternative.

Problem I have is a very painful problem with my right Achilles and ankle, which makes walking big hills difficult, and also makes driving extremely painful after not long doing it. Both were to be a big part of the Argentina trip.

So I'm hoping for suggestions for somewhere tropical that can be done easily without driving, without too many hills, not horribly expensive (probably up to GBP50 per day all in), and without guides.

Basically something akin to Teman Negara, which I've done, or how things were in SE Venezuela back in the day. 3 or 4 sites within reasonable distance of each other that can each be done for 5-10 days would be ideal.

And yes, it does have to be January. Have up to a month free.

Goodluck with all that

Cheers, Steve

There would be locations in Costa Rica that can do at least some of those demands. If you think of for example the Caribbean lowland, there are a couple of places where you could stay in a birding place and walk relatively level, around Carara the same, and some of the northern locations too. You would have to arrange a transportation to take you from one to another of those locations, and I am not sure the cost will be quite as low as you would prefer.

Niels

Thanks Niels

Costa Rica was the first place I birded in the tropics, entirely by public transport, and I did it really badly, so there were lots of gaps, but having since done Panama, southern Mexico, Colombia, etc, they are fewer, and I think most of those are in the more expensive places, but it'll now get a bit more attention in my planning, just to see what's what

Much appreciated

Steve

Mindo area, Ecuador, Steve? We've talked about it a few times on here in the past 12 months. Tropical, cheap, loads of birds, slightly hilly but not that much.

Hmmm, Ecuador may be the answer, certainly plenty of options in that top left corner. Probably enough new stuff to keep the tick cravings happy, despite having done a fair bit of Andes, but generally good birding all round.

But other suggestions still welcome of course. And I still hopr to do that Argentina trip.

Cheers Britseye.

Last time I went to Mindo - ten years ago - I caught a local bus from outside the airport and was there in two hours. Loads of places around 10-20 dollars to stay in the village. Roads heading N, E, S and W to explore from the village itself. Nearby Bellavista, Angel la Paz, and the lowlands around Milpe can be accessed by local taxi. Over 100 spp Hummingbirds in the region for starters.

Depending on just how mobile you are, I guess you could do something in Indonesia if you haven't already done everything there. Lesser Sundas don't require much in the way of steep climbs, nor does much of Sumatra - Aceh and Barusan islands, Way Kambas, etc., although Jan not the best month. Or pick and mix bits of Indonesia that don't require steeps.
NW India would be ideal, although not very tropical!

I'm actually reasonably mobile in an "everthing seizes up after it all" kind of way, and it's the immoble bit of driving that's the problem - 15 minutes of my foot being in more or less the same place is uncomfortable, anything more than an hour is very painful. Not actually looking forward to any flights involved but figure it's something that I'll get over with half a day of rest, and won't actually kill me if I suddenly can't use my foot :-D

Haven't done Indonesia really because of January not being great.

Have done NW India from Bharatpur up to Naini Tal, not the dry bits.

Thanks again for the input. Plenty to think about.

Steve

Mindo area, Ecuador, Steve? We've talked about it a few times on here in the past 12 months. Tropical, cheap, loads of birds, slightly hilly but not that much.

I excluded it due to the hilly nature of many of the sites. If that becomes your choice, think about Rio Silanche as well rather flat lower elevation). If you can do those, then you can also do places like Buenaventura and Jorupe in SW EC, and there should be some more options around in that Tumbesian area. Arranging a transport from one to another that you do not drive yourself would be a must according to what you say.

Niels

Neils

yes those two sites would be considered (missed a couple of Tumbesian things on the other side of the border). I think all the Jocotoco sites are reasonably accessible by public transport.

Cheers

Steve

In Jorupe and Buenaventura, you might find the trek up from the road a little strenuous - better to have a taxi bring you up and pick you up at the end of the day if you stay off the reserves.

Niels

get a car + driver in India, or get a car with cruise control in Argentina? Just thinking if this could work out for you?

Cheers for that Lieven

Think I've now decided on Ecuador, still a load of stuff I need there, despite a previous visit (plus to other Anean countries). And the low cost generally means I should also be able to afford a little time at Gareno for some Amazonian birding, which I love.

Not too much in NW India (although all of excellent quality admittedly), and cruise control is fine until you hit the mountains . . . Argentina will be there for another year.

Thanks all

NE Argentina is easy to walk, and there are many lodges where you can stay and avoid driving or walking too much (for example birding at Iguazú National park involves a lot of walking, and January is quite hot). Corrientes province is flat, and is full of great species at the lodges and Misiones is the most biodiverse area of the country. but the prices will be higher than that, probably around GBP100 or GBP150 per day.

NE Argentina is easy to walk, and there are many lodges where you can stay and avoid driving or walking too much (for example birding at Iguazú National park involves a lot of walking, and January is quite hot). Corrientes province is flat, and is full of great species at the lodges and Misiones is the most biodiverse area of the country. but the prices will be higher than that, probably around GBP100 or GBP150 per day.

One of the things that has so far, put me off Argentina, is the cost of car hire. The last time I considerd it, they were asking $100 per day for a mid range vehicle.

Andy

Cheapest quote I got for Argentina car hire was about £700 for 4 weeks for a small car, unlimited mileage.

And Karadya

NE Argentina is the part with the fewest lifers for me. Iguazu would only have been done if I had been successful on the rest of the trip and had the time spare.
My plan had been to mostly camp (average about £3-4 a night), so £100-150 a night for a lodge was out of the question.

But thanks all the same

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back