• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

southwest ireland -chough, red grouse, storm petrel (1 Viewer)

Joern Lehmhus

Hi, I would like to see chough , am on Iveragh on a family holiday just now,and would like to get information on good sites for chough, also possibly for red grouse- and is there a chance to see European storm petrel on a trip round the Skelligs ?

many thanks in advance, Jörn

Most of the Southwest Headlands are great for Chough. Don't know the Kerry coast well as I'm West Cork based but all of the West Cork headlands have good numbers of Chough. Red Grouse might be possible up in the hills but sightings are very few and far between from what I know. Storm petrels are quite regular off the coast but best seen on a pelagic using a trail to bring them in (will usually get 100+ most times). Other than that, if you keep your eyes peeled on a boat trip, there is a good chance of picking up a passing bird. Hope that helps

Karl

Thanks for the advice!

I have seen Chough at Waterville ,walking the beach north of the village towards the low cliffs. One fly-over adult ,one fly-over juvenile and two adults flying around the cliffs. Added bonus was a mediterranean gull at the same beach and two whimbrel.

Had a boat trip round the Skelligs with Manx shearwater, puffin , Gannet, razorbill, guillemot, black guillemot (the latter only at start and return in Portmagee),northern fulmar , shag, kittiwake, great blackbacked,lesser blackbacked,common and herring gull, a common bussard (near coast,flying overseebut straight to the nearest land),and a single small dark, whiterumped storm petrel with tail appearing square,but didnt see any white band on the underwing. Not really sure if it was european storm petrel

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back