• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SkyLarks ... strange behaviour! (1 Viewer)

mark.dathorne

I was over at Norfolk last weekend and down by West Runton beach, there are a couple of fields where I heard this very different whistle.

Now I am a newbie at this so I tried to track the bird down.
This bird flutters while seemingly stationary in the sky and twitters away!
Tried to view it through the binocs but the bird kept rising up and up so the sun was behind the bird and I could not make out its colours!

On another try I managed to catch one of them slowly descending until it landed! That's where i determined the colours and identified it as a skylark.

What is the purpose of this behaviour? Is it looking for a mate?
What a beautiful call!

Hey, if I had the time (and could fly) what a way to spend the day!
RSPB mag did a write-up about this bird (last month) so I will take another look 'cause the bird has caught my imagination!

(I also caught sight of seal while on the beach. Beautiful.)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back