• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Trinovids? (1 Viewer)

Bill A

Hi,

I presently have a pair of Swaro 8x42 EL's that I just couldn't be happier with. The local camera shop has a pair of Leica 8x32 Trinovids at a good price and I've been looking at them, thinking, gosh how nice to have another pair of great binocs for those times I don't want to lug the 8x42's. . . and the wife could use them too! My question to you Leica users is how do the Trinovids stack up to the newer Ultravids? Are the Tri's still considered a first rate binoc? What are the drawbacks to this model, if any?

Any knowledgeable opinion will be much appreciated.

Bill

Bill A said:
Hi,

I presently have a pair of Swaro 8x42 EL's that I just couldn't be happier with. The local camera shop has a pair of Leica 8x32 Trinovids at a good price and I've been looking at them, thinking, gosh how nice to have another pair of great binocs for those times I don't want to lug the 8x42's. . . and the wife could use them too! My question to you Leica users is how do the Trinovids stack up to the newer Ultravids? Are the Tri's still considered a first rate binoc? What are the drawbacks to this model, if any?

Bill

I have had my 8X32's for almost 9 years now and have always found them superb. Recently I purchased a pair of 10X42 Ultravids which are better. The Ultravids are brighter, sharper and better ergonomically though I willl never get rid of the Trinovids other than to pass them on to my daughter eventually, but for now they are semi-retired as my house binoculars.

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info. Any chance the increase in sharpness and brightness is a result of greater magnification and larger objective?

Best,
Bill

Bill A said:
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info. Any chance the increase in sharpness and brightness is a result of greater magnification and larger objective?

Best,
Bill

possibly, but the optics have had a slight upgrade (new coatings) it's the weight loss that is also most noticeable, very easy on the neck and the balance is superb.

i have the ultravid 10x42 and the drop in weight from my trinovid 10x42 is very noticable. both are still pretty close optic wise, so the trinovids are still a worthy companion (very good infact) i regulary switch between both models.

if you can get a good deal on those trinovids, then snap them up quick - they are already classics! - a very handy second pair or first pair if you ask me ;)

salty said:
if you can get a good deal on those trinovids, then snap them up quick - they are already classics! - a very handy second pair or first pair if you ask me ;)

Agreed Salty

I think Salty answered question Bill.

Mark

Richie,

I have noticed in several posts that you chose a 10x Ultravid. I have a 10x50 Ultravid coming from Eagle Optics next week and I am really looking forward to the increased detail, brightness and magnification.

I just wanted to ask you how easy the 10x is to hold still. I have not noticed a difference between my 7x and my 8.5x, but I have not had much experience with the 10x.

I guess I will know in a few days. I just thought I would ask your opinion.

Thanks for the help!

Rgds,

Steffan

PS Sorry to hijack the thread!

if you can get a good deal on those trinovids, then snap them up quick - they are already classics! - a very handy second pair or first pair if you ask me ;)[/QUOTE]

Does 895 bucks US sound like a good deal (about 478 quid)?

Bill

Greetings!

I went shopping last year for a new pair of 7x42 top-of-the-line binoculars, and considered the Zeiss FL, Ultravid, and Trinovid as the only real contenders. In fact, I considered the Trinovid only "for laughs" as a baseline comparison to the other two. The laughs took on a more serious tone after extensive comparisons, which were not at all what I was expecting.

Here's the essence of it:

Zeiss FL: The Zeiss FL is a magnificent binocular, but for my own purposes the build quality and certain aspects of the optical performance were just not what I was looking for. I was looking for a pair of full size 7x that would perform marvelously in all conditions, and travel the world with me. I felt like the FL was more of a state-of-the-art luxury birding close-to-home binocular as opposed to the voyager "tank" I was looking for.

Ultravid vs. Trinovid: The Ultravid is fantastic. Probably the brightest full size I have ever looked through, and better color rendition and contrast than even the FL. Slightly more CA than the FL, which is not surprising considering that the Zeiss FL was designed mainly for apochromatic purity. However, the Ultravid is quite magnificent in almost all other optical qualities, beating the FL on most counts. HOWEVER....

The Trinovid has better sharpness across the entire field of view. Many other posts on this forum by others have reinforced this opinion, as has my own testing with several different specimens of both binoculars. The Trinovid 7x42 (I won't comment on other configurations having focused my observations on the 7x42) is one of the sharpest binoculars edge-to-edge I have ever examined, beaten only by the Nikon HG 10x25 and equaled by the Nikon HG 8x32. Both Nikon models, on the otherhand, exhibit higher levels of CA than the Trinovid, and lack the overall color purity and brightness of the Trinovid and Ultravid. In the center, the Ultravid is probably a bit sharper, but at the edges, the Trinovid is definitely sharper and clearer.

The other effect that I've noticed with the Trinovid vs. Ultravid is that the Trinivid (to my eyes) appears to have a more "natural" image quality that seems more like looking at the real world with the naked eye. The Ultravid seems "enhanced" artificially... even though the enhancement is for the most part positive. This is a purely subjective observation, which seems to be shared by several people I've talked to about the Ultravid... and most people like it. I find that I personally don't... but I'm definitely in the minority on this one so take it with a grain of salt and make your own observations.

Weight/Ergonomics is the final deciding factor between the 2 - the Ultravid is definitely lighter in weight and has completely different handling characteristics. I personally find the older Trinovid body design to be quite tank/brick/ultimately-solid like - more fitting with my own desires for a bullet-proof world traveling instrument. Most people will undoubtably prefer the Ultravid's lower weight and better handling characteristics - although there have been some complaints about the thumb indents. Again, try them both and make up your own mind.

Final result for me was purchase of the Trinovid, with the closeout sale price helping push me over the decision "edge". While the price did not make the decision for me, all other factors being weighed with far more gravity, it did "sweeten" the deal for me. Overall it was a tough decision, but the Trinovid just ended up meeting my own needs better.

In my opinion, the Trinovid is far from "antiquated" or "obsolete"... they still have a LOT to offer and with the current closeout prices the Trinovid is still worth serious consideration.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Last edited:
Bill A said:
Hi,

Bill

Bill,

This is a somewhat different take. Assuming you're being offered an 8x32 BN (not BA) for $895, a lot depends on whether or not a USA PASSPORT warranty is included. If it's the earlier BA (or ultra) model, or the Passport warranty is not included, the price is questionable, IMO. Leica has been selling off "reconditioned" and "demo" models of the BN with only 1 yr. warranty, which I consider inadequate. Yes, I have personally seen 8x32BNs out of adjustment and also Ultravids with bad eyecups. Nothing made by man is perfect. That's not to knock Leica, but to point out that the warranty is an important part of the package.

The second point is that you already use and like a Swaro EL. For about the same price (~900 USD) you should be able to buy a new Swaro 8x30 SLC with Swarobright, which is currently selling below the SLCnew style that is optically identical to it. Of course, you know the warranty service is superb. Selecting this binocular involves certain tradeoffs against the 8x32BN, but taking them into consideration I wouldn't swap mine given a $100 bonus thrown in. There is something magical about the view from a Swaro.

Again, just my opinions, but enjoy the view whatever you do.

Elkcub

Last edited:
Hello,

A lot of excellent and knowledgeable advice here, as expected. The binocs in question are the BN with the Passport Warranty.

Elkcub, you raise a good point about the SLC's, and I think I'll take another look at them; I agree, there's something about the view though Swaros. . .

On the other hand, it might be nice to try something different, and Bawko's post is pretty convincing. In the end, it seems to me it's a no lose situation with two such fine instruments in the sub 1000 dollar range.

Thanks again,
Bill

Bawko, I also prefer the Trinovids over the Ultravids. I just could not see any difference in the two optically to justify purchasing the Ultravid. Sure, they are a few ounces lighter, but big deal, that was just a marketing ploy to "update" their binos like Swaro and Zeiss had done! I've carried the 10X50 BN up and down the mountains of Montana for days using bino suspenders and never even noticed they were there. The Trinovids just have a more rugged feel to them, so given the choice if offered either pair for free, I'd take the Trinovid over the Ultravid.

Marley said:
Richie,

I have noticed in several posts that you chose a 10x Ultravid. I have a 10x50 Ultravid coming from Eagle Optics next week and I am really looking forward to the increased detail, brightness and magnification.

I just wanted to ask you how easy the 10x is to hold still. I have not noticed a difference between my 7x and my 8.5x, but I have not had much experience with the 10x.

I guess I will know in a few days. I just thought I would ask your opinion.

Thanks for the help!

Rgds,

Steffan

PS Sorry to hijack the thread!

hi, Marley.

the ultravids sit perfectly in my hands (as expected) - very well balanced, and the lighter weight is a real plus point - sometimes even hold them with just one hand!. though your 10x50 will no doubt be slightly heavier, it will no doubt be balanced out by the extra brightness you will be enjoying! - they will be super bright.

the ultravids come into there own when river watching i have found. looking upstream into dark areas of shade etc, they cope extremely well with different shades of light. a superb optic, enjoy ;)

Bill A said:

Bill[/QUOTE]

that seems about right i would say - around £450 ish, good value if they have been well cared for. most leicas are well cared for, i think most people keep them along time, prehaps only donating to family members etc after a long life in somebodys hands.

salty said:

Bill

that seems about right i would say - around £450 ish, good value if they have been well cared for. most leicas are well cared for, i think most people keep them along time, prehaps only donating to family members etc after a long life in somebodys hands.[/QUOTE]

Richie,

Actually, that's the price for a new pair.

Best,
Bill

The 8x32 Trinovid Ultra BAs were the first premium bins I ever purchased. IMO, the only drawbacks are somewhat short eyerelief and a somewhat ratchety focus.

The eyerelief only became an issue once I was relegated to wearing glasses. However they were still quite usable and I could get full FOV.

I only noticed the focus issue when trying out some newer bins. Its not horrible by any means, just abit bothersome when you try to do some fine tuning.

Mine are available for $500 if you are interested.

Just to add...

I've owned and used my 8 x 32 BAs since July '98 and - despite having tried many pairs of excellent bins since - haven't found anything which has made me think "Wow! They're better than my Leicas..!"

Even my mate Alan G's new Swarovskis 8.5 x 42s - superb though they surely are - do nothing except remind me just how good the Leicas are by any comparison.

Last edited:
Leica Trinovids 10X50 + Query

I wonder if the 8X devotees would explain why they are wedded to 8X versus 10X. As far as I can see, the claim that 10X is difficult to hold steady is an old wives' tale. Able-bodied folk below are in fact perfectly able to hold 10X steady. Moreover, Nikon makes a 10X with image stabilisation. In view of the fact that the entire point of using optical aids in birdwatching is to enhance the view of the object, why would anyone forgo the enhanced magnification of 10X over 8X? The better you can see the bird the better the experience.

I've been birding for over 40 years and find 10X50 entirely suitable.
Once you try 10X you never go back to 8.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi gate,

for me it's not a matter of image stability - as you suggest, that shouldn't be a problem to most people (it isn't to me).

I simply like the combination of small size, light gathering and all-round effectiveness that 8s (specifically 8 x 32s) will give.

I honestly don't think I've ever thought "if only I had 25% more magnification than I do now..."

If I need to be closer I either get closer - or use the scope!

I've no doubt that if some kind soul was to gift me a pair of 10s I'd get used to them very quickly, but for all-round usability for me, 8s just fit the bill.

gate9797 said:
I wonder if the 8X devotees would explain why they are wedded to 8X versus 10X. As far as I can see, the claim that 10X is difficult to hold steady is an old wives' tale. Able-bodied folk below are in fact perfectly able to hold 10X steady. Moreover, Nikon makes a 10X with image stabilisation. In view of the fact that the entire point of using optical aids in birdwatching is to enhance the view of the object, why would anyone forgo the enhanced magnification of 10X over 8X? The better you can see the bird the better the experience.

QUOTE]

Actually I find my 10X ultravids easier to hold for long periods than my 8X trinovid's, I think this is perhaps because they are better balanced.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back