• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Comments please on 8x40 Trinovids, AKA "Retrovids" (1 Viewer)

orapple

United States
I have on order a pair of Leica 8x40 Trinovid binoculars. These are the so-called "retro" version with leather and old styling. Online reviews say they are top quality and excellent optically.

Does anyone have these and do you recommend them?

I gather they aren't like some of the other Leica models that have waterproofness to several meters and fogproof coatings. I am wondering if getting these is a mistake compared to the Trinovids or Ultravids? They also come in 7 and 10 power versions. These "retros" appeal to me because of their light weight and the retro features (leather etc.). I have a pair of 8x42 TrinovidBAs which are optically great but just too too heavy. I probably will sell them and I hope this is a reasonable replacement. Anyone have them (or the 7 or 10x version)?

Others can comment on pros and cons of Retrovids (plenty of such threads already for you to read) but what you might really like is Ultravid 8x42 BL, the leather version -- not made anymore, but a nice one recently came up for sale here in the Classifieds. Lightweight, leather, waterproof etc. And then of course there's Zeiss SFL 8x40.

I have owned 7x35 and 8x40 Retros. The 8x40 I passed on - beautiful in every way but I already had other 8x42 which were more suited to chasing little warblers in treetops (i.e. wider FOV). It was hard to let them go, just because...
The 7x35 are superb and hold up when compared to any other Leica I've owned (TrinnieHD, UVHD, UVHD+, NV...). The only thing I wouldn't take them for, is a pelagic/coastal excursion, or truly tropical (e.g. costa rica etc) where they would be expected to work all day in constant wet conditions. My guess is they'd actually do fine, but I have others better suited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back