• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panama - four more in need of ID (1 Viewer)

sirijay

Here are four photos I took a couple of weeks ago in Panama. Wondering whether you can help me with ID.

I have no idea about Birds A, B & C. All three were taken In Boquete.
I think (?) what I have labeled as a smooth billed Ani is correct - but would appreciate confirmation. This photo was taken in Gamboa

Thanks very much.

Attachments

• Bird-A.jpg
    Bird-A.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Bird-B.jpg
    Bird-B.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Bird-C.jpg
    Bird-C.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Smooth billed Ani.jpg
    Smooth billed Ani.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 68
I'd be calling the last one a Smooth-billed Ani, though it could be a Groove-billed... No idea with the Neotropics though, so drawing a blank for the rest...

Flame-rumped Tanager for no.1, I believe this is a split or potential split to be called Lemon-rumped Tanager which is a better description for R.f.icteronotus.

Agreed. I think Boquete is out of range for it, another Gamboa candidate?

Maybe from the other side of the mountains from Boquete? Flame/Lemon rumped tanager is a Caribbean lowland species. We had them on Anchiote Rd. on the north end of the Canal.

Last edited:
I looked at my photo dates and did find that photo 1 which you identified as a flame rumped was taken in Gamboa (not Boquete). I gather this would be a female - I have attached a flame rump male photo taken in Gamboa.

The bird potentially ID'd as a flame colored poses an interesting issue. This was definitely taken in Boquete and I have several photos. According to the Angehr/Dean Field Guide I have, an immature flame-colored could resemble a Western Tanager, and this one certainly does. What is missing is the "white tipping" on the tail which according to the Field Guide is important. None of my photos show this. Any additional thoughts?

Thanks again.

Attachments

• Flame-rump-male.jpg
    Flame-rump-male.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 50
Image no 2 shows the streaked mantle that would not be found on any of the Piranga tanagers.

Pat, are you sure about the Saltator? throat looks buffy to me, and Ridgely writes for black-headed that one specimen was collected at Boquete in 1901 as the only observation there.

Niels

Niels

I looked at two other photos of the Saltator - it's got definite yellow/buff throat coloration. Therefore, I assume per Niels that this is a Buff-throated.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back