• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jaeger in Brandenburg, Germany (2 Viewers)

BikeandBird

Hello all,

a couple of days ago I saw this Jaeger at Gülper See in Eastern Germany. Unfortunately I did not get a good look at it as it took off right after I discovered it. I struggled to see it at the distance and only managed to get the shots attached and I do not have any other impressions from the bird as I did not find it through the scope again.
I don't have great experience with jaegers at all. I took a look at my photos to day and find the bird impossible for me to ID. Some days after my observation another birder reported a Parasitic Jaeger from the same location. I would be surprised if it wasn't the same bird. His description is fitting for Parasitic but his photos do not allow me to confirm this ID.
I wonder if any of you would dare to ID my bird at species level?

Thanks in advance

Leo

Attachments

• IMG_2294.jpg
    IMG_2294.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_2295.jpg
    IMG_2295.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 84
  • PXL_20230813_101340901.jpg
    PXL_20230813_101340901.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 83
What makes it fine for Parasitic? What features are diagnostic for you and what rules out Pomarine? I am just curious and want to learn.
Thanks

Sometimes with skuas it's hard to say that there are diagnostic features. Obviously on adults (which this looks like) the tail projections are diagnostic but are not always present or easy to see (as in these photos). Shape is a good guide. Your second picture shows this bird is quite deep chested (good for Arctic) and not deep bellied (better for Pomarine). Plumage is helpful too, but not always diagnostic. Your bird seems to show a greyish-brown cap rather than a blackish cap, which again is better for Arctic. The neck sides also don't seem really strongly yellowish, as is often the case in Pomarine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back