• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lark ID Algarve (1 Viewer)

John In Ireland

Ireland
Is this a Thekla Lark? It was taken at Sagres in Portugal. I am thinking this may be a Thekla as opposed to a Crested Lark because of the area it was spotted.

Attachments

• Lark ID.jpg
    Lark ID.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 239
Its a Thekla's alright - apart from the fact that only this one has been recorded from the Sagres area, where very common, the convex lower mandible shows well on your photo. Also the photo captures the deeper brown tones to the upperparts that are quite different from Crested.

What about these two please? (may both be same individual, but not definitely so)

Attachments

• Picture 581lo.jpg
    Picture 581lo.jpg
    832.9 KB · Views: 171
  • Picture 586lo.jpg
    Picture 586lo.jpg
    865.7 KB · Views: 164
What about these two please? (may both be same individual, but not definitely so)

At first I thought this to be Crested Lark - but on a closer look at the bill, the lower mandible seems to be overgrown, which throws things a bit (must be the same bird). Can't see the length of the 1st primary. It would be good to glimpse the colour of the central tail/lower rump and the underwing and to hear it! With these photos I can't be sure.

So go on - where were they taken ;)

At first I thought this to be Crested Lark - but on a closer look at the bill, the lower mandible seems to be overgrown, which throws things a bit (must be the same bird). Can't see the length of the 1st primary. It would be good to glimpse the colour of the central tail/lower rump and the underwing and to hear it! With these photos I can't be sure.

So go on - where were they taken ;)

Thanks! Crested was my conclusion from the bill shape, but they were taken at Sagres, on the clifftop area above the harbour at 37.007612°N 8.928895°W, and therefore at a location where Crested Larks are strictly prohibited, By Order 8-P

I've got some other pics of this and the other 2-3 Galerida larks there, mostly somewhat blurred though. I'll see if any show the tail & lower rump (no underwings though, I avoided flushing them). Silent, too, from what I recollect. Pics April 2016.

There is no doubt that Thekla's is the abundant Galerida throughout the Sagres peninsula but during Atlas work in the early 2000s Crested was found not far from your observation - on the other side of the harbour, by Martinhal beach. This site has beach, some dunes, a dry saltmarsh and dusty car parks, quite typical Crested habitat. However, since then, every time I go I can only find Thekla's. There are just a few Cresteds around the village of Raposeira on agricultural land - some 8kms east of Sagres. Its good to keep an open mind but around Sagres on a decent view its been invariably Thekla's for me and for everyone who knows the area thoroughly.

On the first of your photos, despite the strange long lower mandible, there does seem to be a sort of convex bulge pointing to Thekla's. Also maybe worth noting; as spring progresses, these two get more difficult with wear and bleaching until post breeding moult when they become much more distinctively marked and coloured.

So is it a Thekla with an overgrown lower mandible or a Crested with an undergrown upper mandible?! Certainly to my eye the lower mandible looks fairly typical of Crested!

So is it a Thekla with an overgrown lower mandible or a Crested with an undergrown upper mandible?! Certainly to my eye the lower mandible looks fairly typical of Crested!

The lower mandible does look as Crested....but in that case, what happened to the upper mandible? It doesn't look broken or worn down and seems intact at the tip. The lower mandible has a strange bulge, unlike typical Crested.

The general colouration looks quite good for Crested too but in many photos judging the true colour of these two can be tricky. The combination of warm lighting and the fact it was taken in the spring, when birds are more washed out, would easily account for the sandier than normal colour for Thekla's.

I don't know if its identifiable but I'm plumping for Thekla's here.

The lower mandible does look as Crested....but in that case, what happened to the upper mandible? It doesn't look broken or worn down and seems intact at the tip. The lower mandible has a strange bulge, unlike typical Crested.

The general colouration looks quite good for Crested too but in many photos judging the true colour of these two can be tricky. The combination of warm lighting and the fact it was taken in the spring, when birds are more washed out, would easily account for the sandier than normal colour for Thekla's.

I don't know if its identifiable but I'm plumping for Thekla's here.

To my eye, even ignoring the underlapping upper mandible the bill looks long, slimmish and vaguely droopy à la Crested. Agree that overall pattern looks better for Crested.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back