• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Record Strike rate (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner

This morning there were 4 Peregrines munching 4 pigeons on the beach in front of the house... didn't see any of them caught.

I only saw one Peregrine today. It seemed to be amusing itself chasing waders down the Clyst ( near Bowling Green Marsh). Their favourite escape ploy was to crash down onto the water whereupon the Peregrine swooped up for other game to play with.
Although it looked like a game, any little slip up and there would have been a cloud of Redshank feathers fluttering down onto the water.
I'm sure lots of birders have seen this in action but it never ceases to make my day.

Your contribution, dare I say it Jane, was well worth making, and well worth reading.

regards,

Padraig.

Aye,

the posting was about the peres first and foremost, to my mind - no point skirting round what they were eating just to be "PC"...

Indeed.. The only one close enough to identify was a feral mick that had survived three years without getting munched. The point was that is the most Peregrines I have seen in one field of view in a telescope.... all on kills

blythkeith said:
Aye,

the posting was about the peres first and foremost, to my mind - no point skirting round what they were eating just to be "PC"...
I agree there. The Peregrines are what count, and if they're eating pigeons, so be it...

I remember a seawach at Strumble head where we saw a Dunlin being chased by 3 peregrines, ad and 2 juvs. Dirty rotten luck for the Dunlin.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back