• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sarasota, Fl. Apr09 Unusual Nest question (1 Viewer)

I have noticed this fairly large nest near my house here in Sarasota Florida. It is built on a electrical transformer pole and has about a 4 to 5 inch diameter entrance hole near the bottom. We do have a diversity of birds here in coastal Florida, but I am stumped on this one. I included a picture. You can sort of gage the size by reference to the power pole and transformer. I can't help but wonder if the bird has been electrocuted :).

Does anyone have a clue what this is?
Thanks in advance
Kirby

Attachments

• Odd_Nest1.jpg
    Odd_Nest1.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 77
I'm thinking Monk Parrot. I saw a lot of these nests the last time I was there.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from the entire staff here at BirdForum :t:

That would be a monk parakeet, which is likely culprit who built the nest.

In fact, that's a small nest compatred to some I've seen.

There is a huge colony of these in Dallas, they have lived at an electric sub-station for years The electric company has not found any damage by the birds or their nests. As a matter of fact the company has fenced off the substation so no one will disrupt the nests or harass the birds when they are on the nests.

Yeah, we have a healthy population of these here in Sunny Sarasota. Jeff is correct these are actually parakeets, and don't ask me the difference between a parrot and a parakeet. These we have are substantially larger than what I think of as a parakeet. They are more on the size if a common pigeon, rather than the little pocket-sized pets we had as kids. After doing a little research, it appears these are an import, and considered an invasive species by some. It figures, as every misfit from everywhere seems to believe a move to Florida is a cure all

You are right, but unlike some who move to Florida these had no choice. Monk Parakeet colonies like this all evolved from escaped caged birds. Similar to the Peach-faced Love birds in the Phoenix area - started small and continuously grow in numbers.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back