• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (3 Viewers)

Nope, 'twas not I, Gill.

I was at Cresswell and E. Chevington, but didn't as far as Hauxley.

Someone else get cuckoo today, then? I kinda felt sorry for the one I saw - as many as four mipits were taking it in turns to hassle it!

Attachments

• cuckoo2f.jpg
    cuckoo2f.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 101
Sorry to hear about James Alder passing away. A talented, nice, interesting bloke, I remember being a kid in the seventies and watching him on Looks Natural with Tom Dunn, Ian Armstrong and Tony Tynan. I suppose my original sketch of his will have increased value now eh...

Tonight thousands of seabirds in frenzies off Seaton Point included single Roseate Tern, 17 Common Scoter and 2 Manxies N. Last night single dark Arctic Skua, 2 Little Terns and 2 Manxies N.

Hiya Newton...

see www.boulmerbirder.blogspot.com

Wasn't you then Keith...shucks, back to the drawing board :-O Get my thinking cap back on ;)
I still owe you a trip to see Nightjars anyway.

It IS a shame about James Alder nothing in local news on tv last night :C ) - I once went to an exhibition of his sketches for his book about the birdlife in the Queen Mum's garden - can't remember the title of the book...Isle of Mey or summik?
Might be a decent obituary in the Tmes today - I'll have a look at work ;)

I once went to an exhibition of his sketches for his book about the birdlife in the Queen Mum's garden - can't remember the title of the book...Isle of Mey or summik?

Very sorry to hear the news about James Alder passing away.

The book is called 'Birds and Flowers of the Castle of Mey and Balmoral'.

cheers
martin

Wasn't you then Keith...shucks, back to the drawing board :-O Get my thinking cap back on ;)
I still owe you a trip to see Nightjars anyway.

It IS a shame about James Alder nothing in local news on tv last night :C ) - I once went to an exhibition of his sketches for his book about the birdlife in the Queen Mum's garden - can't remember the title of the book...Isle of Mey or summik?

There is a full page in the journal today Gill which records some of Jame's acheivements of which there were many. He was a really great bloke who rose from very humble beginnings and I was sad to hear of his death. Amongst my prize possessions are copies of his limited editions of the 'Birds of the Castle of Mey' and 'Birds of Balmoral.' I feel priveleged to have talked to him in detail about the preparation of these books and also watch as I guess his final large project, the painting of the Chillingham Cattle was in progress. I hope one day someone will write a biography of James as he had one heck of an interesting life! I offer my condolences to his family.

Yes I read it Brian :t: Look forward to treading his boigraphy one day - somebody must do it ;)

Thanks for putting me right on the title of the book Martin...my brain was all befuddled *as usual before anyone sez owt!* ;) They've got a copy of the book in a shop in Alnwick - should buy it before they slap an extra £50 on it :-O

Back up to the Long Nanny last night and some of the washed out little terns are relaying.

This happened the year I did the tern site, it resulted in very late hatching and increased vulnerability to predators, we had a number of small little tern chicks knocking about after all the arctics had finished... While the arctics are there they seem a reasonable force to see off trouble, but once they’ve finished the poor old little terns are left to fight their own battles !

Fingers crossed anyway, I’m going to volunteer to help the wardens some weekends. I know from my experience there that it’s a very draining job, so they need all the support they can get. If anyone would like to volunteer to help (even if its just a few hours) let me know and I’ll put you in touch with them, sure they’ll be very grateful to get some time off to catch up on sleep.

They’ve had osprey and bonxie there this week too……

Mystery Wader

I was at St Mary's Lighthouse, Northumberland on Wednesday 20th June at around 3pm. I was on the cliffs watching the sea through my scope as there didn't seem to be much around in the bay.

I heard what I thought was a shank in the bay, took a while to locate and from a distance I took it to be a Greenshank. I watched it for a while and then it flew and did a couple of circuits of the bay and I noticed it had very white back and what appeared to be yellow legs and I realised it wasn't a Greenshank.

It settled in the eddy between the shore and the lighthouse on the lighthouse rocks and was very difficult to see, so I had to scramble down the cliff face with my bins to my eyes.

I managed to get to the shoreline and relocate it. Got perfect views in excellent sunlight and couldn't for the life of me work out what it was. I didn't have my birdbook and there were no other birdwatchers around.

I made the following notes at the time:

Notes.

Bill - Relatively long/dark to lighter at base.

Head - Relatively large. Dark stripe from base of bill to eye. Pronounced white circle around eye. White supercilium. Brown forehead to light at nape.

Body- Shank sized, dark wings with lighter colouration on shoulder. Light body and underparts with brown/dark mottling on chest.

Legs - Long/Yellow, shank line.

In flight - White tail with white back extending almost to nape. Dark wings with quick shank-like beats.

Call - two notes, pitch shank-like.

I took several pictures with my phone pressed to my scope, non of which I thought were worth posting to any forums to try and get an identification.

I went through all my bird books and couldn't for the life of me find anything close to what I'd seen.

However the picture of a Marsh Sandpiper in my bird book shows the greyer winter plumage so I hadn't considered it. I've now looked at the birdguides CD and it looked promising. I then searched the birdnet forum for pictures of a Marsh Sandpiper and I now believe that is what I saw.

I am attaching the pictures fully in the knowledge that their quality is rubbish but hopefully they help somebody confirm, or if definitely not a Marsh Sandpiper, what it could be.

PS I've also posted this to the identification thread.

Attachments

• P6200001.jpg
    P6200001.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 67
  • P6200005.jpg
    P6200005.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 62
  • P6200007.jpg
    P6200007.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 113
  • P6200011.jpg
    P6200011.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 60
  • P6200012.jpg
    P6200012.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 74
Just my luck

4/5 days each week I walk from home down to the River Tyne & back. I meet my brother most times. Recently we have been watching a kingfisher taking fish to its nest.Very difficult to get a decent photo, but will keep trying.
Today I was out of the area, and, he sent me a text message at 10.15 " Saw two kingfisher chicks come out from the nest site"
I dare not print what I replied!!!!!
I wish to point out that we are observing the kingfishers from a distance and would not disturb the birds.

I dare not print what I replied!!!!!

It was probably something along the lines of what I just called Neil half an hour ago when he was telling me about seeing SIX stoats together as they crossed the road at Patterdale today in Cumbria!!! :C
That's the last time I let him off the lead to go gallivanting without me! :C

Also....did anyone see the pic of the BASKING SHARK seen off Souter Lighthouse this week? :eek!: Was in today's Journal.
If Neil sees one of those before me it IS divorce!!!! ;)

I'll Get It Right (Eventually)!

Initial attempts at digiscoping. A bit rough'n'ready so any constructive feedback would be welcome (via PM).

And two later ones from West Hartford.

Attachments

• Egret 2.jpg
    Egret 2.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Egret3.jpg
    Egret3.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 94
  • Skylark.jpg
    Skylark.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Linnet.jpg
    Linnet.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Alwinton area today.

Birds included a pair of ravens, dipper and a family of peregrines including 2 large chicks still a couple of weeks from fledging. There seemed to be RL partridge all over the roads on the way up

Attachments

• rlp.jpg
    rlp.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 85
Harthope holiday

An excellent few days spent in one of my favourite birdwatching areas , The Harthope Valley.
Got off to a great start with two Red Squirrels on a stone wall just entering the valley, great to see again as they are long gone from my local patch.
Into the valley Mistle thrush, Green Woodpecker soon seen with Dipper, Common Sandpiper and Grey Wagtails on the stream.
Moving up amongst the heather and bracken 5 pair of Whinchat seen and a few pair pair of Stonechat and Red Grouse with young.
Moving up higher still saw single Raven, and 4 Buzzards with magnificent views of a species i wont mention (for obvious reasons). Pair of Ring Ouzel nearby with 4 fully grown young .
The strands of birch and pine back in the valley held half a dozen pair each of Lesser redpoll and siskin with a pair of Tree Pipit with young.
The more mature trees near the stream contained Spotted Flycatchers with young, plus Nuthatch and Treecreepers.
At midday managed to drag myself (reluctantly ) away.:t:

Attachments

• h h 034.jpg
    h h 034.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 80
  • h h 035.jpg
    h h 035.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 94
  • h h 043.jpg
    h h 043.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 101
  • h h 008.jpg
    h h 008.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back