• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reports from at Home and Away (1 Viewer)

Tammie said:
Lovely shot of the siskin, Dan. 'My' bluejays have been fairly quiet lately so I'm assuming there's nothing in the neighbourhood for them to worry about.

Loads of birds at the feeders today!! It's been snowing since this morning so they're fueling up.

And birds weren't the only things hanging around the yard this morning. :)
Yep! That's busy. Nice fox picture, too.

Wow Tammie - beautiful fox - used to see one run the edges of our woods but haven't lately- perhaps my dog's the deterent! Dan- glad to see a photo of a siskin - they aren't usually here but I do think I've seen one!

Well, I have missed this place....and it's nice to "see" familiar friends posting!

Loved the fox picture....I saw one in my backyard a couple weeks ago about 2 a.m. after I had placed a really stinky fresh (well, not anymore!) chicken way in the backyard for whatever critter might enjoy it! It's the first time I had seen a red fox in several years, although I see tracks in the snow sometimes.

The sandhill cranes are migrating over Indiana now, and yesterday the temp got up to 63 here.....so with windows open, and trying to find more excuses to stay outside, I still didn't see/hear any of 'em, but my friend on the other side of town did. Also in the southern part of the state they cranes are traveling in the thousands. Wow! Always impressive to me.

Have had the usual winter bird visitors at the feeders this year....siskins came and went last fall....the occasional purple finch, usually females, but now and then a male, and no red-breasted nuthatches. Maybe next year.

'My' little pair of Carolina wrens are nightly sleeping in the roosting pouch I fixed for them, and I put some llama hair into several wren houses I left hanging....I think some birds may be using those at night when it's cold, although I have only seen one pair of house sparrows appear really interested. Perhaps I am just doing wishful thinking. But I AM sure about the C. wrens.

Today it is 30 degrees colder, there is a covering of snow, but the sun is shining. All is well in Indiana! :eek:)

Marianna/Indiana

Yes, welcome indeed Marianna - keep coming back - you're full of info - what kind of cranes are you seeing? Have the whoppers started back yet - must go check their website!

Thanks for the welcomes back! I just got out of the habit of checking in here for awhile....seemed like the "old familiar faces" weren't here so often, and I just got lazy!

We are seeing sandhill cranes, Sara.....I need to check the whooper site, too....it seems like yesterday that they finally got down to Florida...what a journey they had this year! Took a long time. But they could be starting back too, I expect.

Marianna

I ordered the newest video from the whooper site - it is a real treat to watch - they also sent a calendar that is FULL of info re: their adventures!! I've never been more impressed with a group of people for such a worthy cause!

I'll be in the North West Territories in the last half of May. I would love to visit the Whoopers' nest area in Wood Buffalo National Park but apparently it is a quite a distance from where I will be and it's closed to the public. I am told that the cranes are sometimes seen a good distance from the Park so maybe I'll get lucky. In the first part of June, I'll be in Southern Ontario and plan to visit Point Pelee, Hillman Marsh and Rondeau Provincial Park.
With a little luck and a lot of work I expect to get some good birds.

snowyowl said:
I'll be in the North West Territories in the last half of May. I would love to visit the Whoopers' nest area in Wood Buffalo National Park but apparently it is a quite a distance from where I will be and it's closed to the public. I am told that the cranes are sometimes seen a good distance from the Park so maybe I'll get lucky. In the first part of June, I'll be in Southern Ontario and plan to visit Point Pelee, Hillman Marsh and Rondeau Provincial Park.
With a little luck and a lot of work I expect to get some good birds.

Dan, can you pack me in your suitcase for both trips, pleeeeeeeeezzze!!!

Tammie said:
Hey, I'm not fussy..... I'll go in her suitcase if that's easier!! ;)
The way that my wife packs, you'll never fit.
I'm going birding in a few minutes. I'm going to be looking for a bird that you have in your backyard but that is tough here - Gray Jay. Apparently some are hanging out in a wildlife management area about 20 miles from here. I'll be playing probably have to use a CD to call them out, although hopefully not.

snowyowl said:
The way that my wife packs, you'll never fit.
I'm going birding in a few minutes. I'm going to be looking for a bird that you have in your backyard but that is tough here - Gray Jay. Apparently some are hanging out in a wildlife management area about 20 miles from here. I'll be playing probably have to use a CD to call them out, although hopefully not.

In case you haven't left yet..... bring them a snack! That will likely bring them out fast than anything else. Part of your sandwich for lunch is perfect! ;) They'll eat anything but fruit and veggies (oddly enough!) ;)

Tammie said:
In case you haven't left yet..... bring them a snack! That will likely bring them out fast than anything else. Part of your sandwich for lunch is perfect! ;) They'll eat anything but fruit and veggies (oddly enough!) ;)
I took them peanut butter sandwichs but unfortunately didn't find them so they missed lunch.
It was a poor day of birding but some of our BF'ers from warmer climes might find these pictures of interest. In some of them you can see how the ice is comparitively smooth where it's protected from wave action. In picture #3, you can see two houses in the left corner. That witll give some sense of scale.

Attachments

• DSCN2418.1.JPG
    DSCN2418.1.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCN2428.1.JPG
    DSCN2428.1.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 158
  • DSCN2439.1.JPG
    DSCN2439.1.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 170
  • DSCN2441.1.JPG
    DSCN2441.1.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 163
COLD!!! is what it looks like....very impressive ice! Still hope to get up that way.
I'm scheduled for surgery again - the OTHER knee (gave out in Nov) tired of hobbling
around - so I'm biting the bullet once again - maybe I can travel after that!!

Great shots, Dan! Seems like it's been ages since I've seen any open water around here. I can't wait! :)

And uh...... I think I'd be kind of nervous to have a house so close to the water line!

amasara said:
COLD!!! is what it looks like....very impressive ice! Still hope to get up that way.
I'm scheduled for surgery again - the OTHER knee (gave out in Nov) tired of hobbling
around - so I'm biting the bullet once again - maybe I can travel after that!!

COLD is what it is, too, Sara! ;)

Good luck with the other knee. Hopefully, you'll be good as new in a few months time. When do you have it done?

Tammie said:
Great shots, Dan! Seems like it's been ages since I've seen any open water around here. I can't wait! :)

And uh...... I think I'd be kind of nervous to have a house so close to the water line!
Thanks!
I too would be nervous if I lived as close to the water as the houses in in picture, especially in view of the tidal surges that seem to be becoming a much more common occurance. Homes, cottages, wharfs and sand dunes are all taking a real beating. Those in the picture are actually summer cottages.

Thanks Tammie - date is March 18th - trying to get mentally ready now - did great the other time so expecting the same for this one
Re: birds - saw my first 2 grackles yesterday - not happy am I - except it may mean an early Spring - as they usually don't arrive till March!1

How's this for a great shot of a Harlequin Duck? (Well, almost! He was there when I started to press the button.).
:h?:

Attachments

• DSCN2703.JPG
    DSCN2703.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 160
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back