• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Battle of the $400 x30/32's - what's your pick? (1 Viewer)

I’m glad I’m not a binocular geek as I just couldn’t afford the angst (and the money) and the constant striving for something better! RSPB BGPC 8x42, Nikon Monarch 7 10x30 and Nikon Sportstar 8x25 in the glove box.

I’m glad I’m not a binocular geek as I just couldn’t afford the angst (and the money) and the constant striving for something better! RSPB BGPC 8x42, Nikon Monarch 7 10x30 and Nikon Sportstar 8x25 in the glove box.

Yes, be grateful! It's an annoying addiction for sure. But I have few vices (left) and if this is one of them, then things could be worse. ;)

Steve, thanks again for your input. Your affinity for the Maven is pretty convincing. I have handled one pair of those to date, and was immediately struck by the "made in china" appearance of the view, meaning a lot of hard-to-explain distortion - to my eyes. But perhaps I need to have another look at those.

I think I finally figured out what bothers me about binoculars that are too small for my hands. If the barrels are not large enough, my fingers wrap completely around them and my fingertips overlap. That makes it hard to hold the binoculars consistently. So you're probably right that I would be better suited with a compact x40/42 model.

That’s a big glovebox:-C

I bought the 10x32 Travellers as a gift for a family member. I was really surprised how well they performed. Not just for the price. But full stop.

Rich

Steve, thanks again for your input. Your affinity for the Maven is pretty convincing. I have handled one pair of those to date, and was immediately struck by the "made in china" appearance of the view, meaning a lot of hard-to-explain distortion - to my eyes. But perhaps I need to have another look at those.

I think I finally figured out what bothers me about binoculars that are too small for my hands. If the barrels are not large enough, my fingers wrap completely around them and my fingertips overlap. That makes it hard to hold the binoculars consistently. So you're probably right that I would be better suited with a compact x40/42 model.

I don't know exactly what to say here. Put simply you must have thought they were Chinese before you looked at them. ;) None of Maven's Optics are Chinese. There are some Chinese components in the assembled in the Philippines C Series, but the totality of the B series binoculars are from Kamakura in Japan, with assembly done at Kama Tech in San Diego. I have said before that I have ceased to be surprised at individual reactions to any particular binocular, but the "made in China view" comment did surprise me. I guess everyone is susceptible to preconceptions of one thing or another.;) That is the widest view available in an 8x30,and equally as bright as anything else of that size, regardless of what brand is on the instrument. It took me about five minutes to decide to cancel the order I had in for a Swaro 8x30 CL.

Good luck in your search :t:

Just googled those Maven B3 bins. The grey and orange makes them look like something Fisher Price might put out!

They also come in a more traditional black that is quite attractive. Also you can customize then for an additional charge. Last year they ran a holiday promo where customization was free. Optics are superb and much better than the M7 in my opinion. Of course everybody’s eyes are different and you might like the MIC M7 better.

They also come in a more traditional black that is quite attractive. Also you can customize then for an additional charge. Last year they ran a holiday promo where customization was free. Optics are superb and much better than the M7 in my opinion. Of course everybody’s eyes are different and you might like the MIC M7 better.

My eyes struggle to see anything better than the M7 8x30.
Personally I think they are brilliant.
Having said that I don't see the big differences between binoculars anyway.
I think they're all prety good.

Ron

I don't know exactly what to say here. Put simply you must have thought they were Chinese before you looked at them. ;) None of Maven's Optics are Chinese. There are some Chinese components in the assembled in the Philippines C Series, but the totality of the B series binoculars are from Kamakura in Japan, with assembly done at Kama Tech in San Diego. I have said before that I have ceased to be surprised at individual reactions to any particular binocular, but the "made in China view" comment did surprise me. I guess everyone is susceptible to preconceptions of one thing or another.;) That is the widest view available in an 8x30,and equally as bright as anything else of that size, regardless of what brand is on the instrument. It took me about five minutes to decide to cancel the order I had in for a Swaro 8x30 CL.

Good luck in your search :t:

Nope, no preconceived idea of where they were made. I thought they were made in Japan actually. That's what surprised me about the view. But again, that was a 2 minute look through borrowed B3's, so certainly they warrant another look.

Threads like these are proof that we all bring our own lenses to the game!

I'm struggling to find much of anything wrong with my new-to-me, original (not ultra hd) Bushnell Legend 8x32's other than they are not as bright as a high-end 8x32. Otherwise, they are pretty fantastic. Perfect size, weight, form factor, eyecups, locking diopter, smooth and firm focus wheel with zero slop. Plenty good enough for now, until I find something that just blows me away.

Threads like these are proof that we all bring our own lenses to the game!

I'm struggling to find much of anything wrong with my new-to-me, original (not ultra hd) Bushnell Legend 8x32's other than they are not as bright as a high-end 8x32. Otherwise, they are pretty fantastic. Perfect size, weight, form factor, eyecups, locking diopter, smooth and firm focus wheel with zero slop. Plenty good enough for now, until I find something that just blows me away.

Plenty good enough for now, until I find something that just blows me away

Will you ever find a pair of bins that blows you away? I don't think so.

When I look through my bins, I don't see that the contrast is poor or the colours are washed out or too rich or whatever. When I look though my bins all I see is what I am looking at is a pin sharp, delightful view but bigger, ok, not perfect, but I don't see anyone looking through a descent pair of of bins can expect much more.
How much better can binoculars get?
Maybe I'm I'm just easily pleased and perhaps that's not a bad thing.
And at the end of the day the biggest compromise to optical excellence is the viewing conditions.

When I look through my bins, I don't see that the contrast is poor or the colours are washed out or too rich or whatever. When I look though my bins all I see is what I am looking at is a pin sharp, delightful view but bigger, ok, not perfect, but I don't see anyone looking through a descent pair of of bins can expect much more.
And at the end of the day the biggest compromise to optical excellence is the viewing conditions.

Well said! I’ve looked through Swaros, Leica, Zeiss and my RSPB BGPC and for the life of me I can’t see anything that’s £1000 - £1500 better than what I have.

Scopes - now there’s a whole different ball game!

Well, at least for now, my eyes are still good enough that I can take advantage of premium glass. Give me 5 years and I won't be able to tell you the difference between Swaro SLC's and Bushnell Engage. LOL

Certain binoculars can resolve enough detail that my eyes can tell the difference. You never notice this until you have "good" and "great" binoculars side-by side on a tripod. Hand held - you'll likely never notice the difference. But I do use my binoculars on tripods quite often.

My Bushnell Legend 8x32's are really good. I mean very good. But my Cabelas Outfitter HD's resolve just a hair more detail - on par with Conquest HD's and Swaro SLC's that I've compared them to side-by-side on tripods. But for 95% of my uses, those Bushnell 8x32's are plenty good enough for what I do.

You're right about optical conditions. Tough conditions are where better binoculars really stand out.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back