• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (14 Viewers)

Cheers,I was going to go Holme and titchwell tomorrow so heading up the A10 then 149 would seem a logical route,hopefully they will be clearer but I will check again in the morning before I leave,if it is too bad up that way I would be silly to try it but if I can get up to Cambridgeshire I have a few options up there,hopefully it will clear so I can get up to the coast Wednesday if possible

Cheers,I was going to go Holme and titchwell tomorrow so heading up the A10 then 149 would seem a logical route,hopefully they will be clearer but I will check again in the morning before I leave,if it is too bad up that way I would be silly to try it but if I can get up to Cambridgeshire I have a few options up there,hopefully it will clear so I can get up to the coast Wednesday if possible

The minor roads within 10km of Cley are very treacherous in places. Here at 2245 it has stopped snowing for the moment.
MJB

If I do come up,I will stick to the A roads.
Wednesday onwards looks ok weatherwise but obviously with snow,you then get ice.
Will only come up if it looks as though the main roads are relatively clear as I really don't fancy risking mine and others lives

I was at Cley over Christmas. I am attaching a few photos I took there.

Best regards from Beijing

Attachments

• CSC_9386.jpg
    CSC_9386.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 91
  • CSC_9392.jpg
    CSC_9392.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 90
  • CSC_9461.jpg
    CSC_9461.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 204
  • CSC_9466.jpg
    CSC_9466.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC_9255.jpg
    DSC_9255.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 112

Although Titchwell has had about 3 or 4 inches of snow, it is now thawing and I can hear trees dripping if I put my head out of our front door. (We are on the main road) It is likely to be a couple of degrees colder towards King's Lynn, somewhere near Wolferton often being the coldest on my dashboard thermometer.

BBC Radio Norfolk stated freezing fog near Dersingham and none of the B roads gritted - here near Fakenham we had about 4 inches of snow which is still present as I write

Although Titchwell has had about 3 or 4 inches of snow, it is now thawing and I can hear trees dripping if I put my head out of our front door. (We are on the main road) It is likely to be a couple of degrees colder towards King's Lynn, somewhere near Wolferton often being the coldest on my dashboard thermometer.

Fair bit of melting occurred overnight here too. Now not looking as bad as I suggested last night, though still thick on the fields etc.

Waxwings, Taverham

Still 6 Waxwings on Fir Covert Road in Taverham, favouring the hedges between the Taverham Garden Centre and PLG Ltd. They showed really nicely coming to feed on the berries, seemingly unconcerned by the traffic rattling by.

Attachments

• w1.jpg
    w1.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 99
  • w2.jpg
    w2.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 74
  • w3.jpg
    w3.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 84
Just about to leave,will see how I get on.

Take care out there guys, the roads were far from straightforward between Norwich and Thetford this morning. Sniper- if you are struggling to get to Norfolk can I recommend a company called Direct Car Services, they will sort you out ;)

Some proper Waxwing photos there Dendroica, berries and snow add that certain something.

What with the cold snap and stronger easterlies forecast this weekend coming, what do folk suggest may turn up? I was hoping for some white-winged Gulls, but without a Northerly blast this may be a little optimistic. Wildfowl movements? More Finches, Thrushes?

Cheers,
Jim.

Still 6 Waxwings on Fir Covert Road in Taverham, favouring the hedges between the Taverham Garden Centre and PLG Ltd. They showed really nicely coming to feed on the berries, seemingly unconcerned by the traffic rattling by.

Good work Mike. Me and Leila found them this morning whilst stuck in traffic on the way to work, but we had only seen six birds before the cars started to move again and were unsure if there were more close by. I am glad to have finally found some this winter and close to the house is always nice having missed the birds on the estate.

Regards,

Kieran

Last edited:
Take care out there guys, the roads were far from straightforward between Norwich and Thetford this morning. Sniper- if you are struggling to get to Norfolk can I recommend a company called Direct Car Services, they will sort you out ;)

Some proper Waxwing photos there Dendroica, berries and snow add that certain something.

What with the cold snap and stronger easterlies forecast this weekend coming, what do folk suggest may turn up? I was hoping for some white-winged Gulls, but without a Northerly blast this may be a little optimistic. Wildfowl movements? More Finches, Thrushes?

Cheers,
Jim.

Ha ha Jim,I used them they were great.
The roads were fine all the way up,it was a little bit dicey on the 149 just past Holme to wells due to the heavy snow shower that occurred an hour or so ago but it was fine in the end.Will start my birding tomorrow,if anyone sees someone with a dodgy left eye,that will be me as I have had a sty come up overnight.
Think I may tuck into a couple of the local ales this afternoon before getting a reasonably early night.
All the best
Rob

Ha ha Jim,I used them they were great.
The roads were fine all the way up,it was a little bit dicey on the 149 just past Holme to wells due to the heavy snow shower that occurred an hour or so ago but it was fine in the end.Will start my birding tomorrow,if anyone sees someone with a dodgy left eye,that will be me as I have had a sty come up overnight.
Think I may tuck into a couple of the local ales this afternoon before getting a reasonably early night.
All the best
Rob

Glad to hear you're here safely, enjoy those ales.
Bit of a white out here in Thetfod, P5 should be interesting with year 7.......

Moving between sites at 1.35pm, I had c25 Bewick's in a V heading NW over Thetford; they had come from the Euston and Ixworth direction for those that don't know the area.

Cheers,
Jim.

Please note my edit- for some reason I had Whooper's on the brain, and thanks to an email from Nick I have altered the species to Bewick. The birds were heard to call which was the clincher. It was misty, I was in a rush, the usual!

Last edited:
Titchwell January 15th

Today’s highlights

Twite - 30 east of the beach boardwalk
Snow bunting – 20 west of the beach boardwalk
Peregrine – 1 over fresh marsh
Avocet – 7 on fresh marsh
Brambling – 20 around visitor centre

Paul

I see one of the contributors to this thread, Dawn Balmer, has a photo of Knot featured on the Winterwatch site today.

There was a good item about Rooks, featuring a Norfolk corvid roost on tonight's programme. I guess this was the Buckenham Carrs one?

Ron

I see one of the contributors to this thread, Dawn Balmer, has a photo of Knot featured on the Winterwatch site today.

There was a good item about Rooks, featuring a Norfolk corvid roost on tonight's programme. I guess this was the Buckenham Carrs one?

Ron

The roost between Langham and Binham is well worth a look at the moment. Plenty of Jackdaws mixed in and a lovely pale Common Buzzard caused a stir this afternoon sending the whole roost up.
50 or so Pink Feet in the field adjacent to the trees containing the roost as well.
Photo attached and a couple more from today.
Cheers.
O.R

Attachments

• IMG_0424_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_0424_edited-1.jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0227_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_0227_edited-1.jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 75
  • north hide snow.jpg
    north hide snow.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 114
  • church 1.jpg
    church 1.jpg
    413.5 KB · Views: 184
The roost between Langham and Binham is well worth a look at the moment. Plenty of Jackdaws mixed in and a lovely pale Common Buzzard caused a stir this afternoon sending the whole roost up.
50 or so Pink Feet in the field adjacent to the trees containing the roost as well.
Photo attached and a couple more from today.
Cheers.
O.R

Can I suggest submitting that last photo as a potential cover for a re-print of the Stephen King book Pet Semetary? Rather ethereal and a cracking shot.

A 'Snow Day' for me today, although the roads are so bad Surlingham et al may have to wait until the weekend.

Cheers,
Jim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back