• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (4 Viewers)

Can I suggest submitting that last photo as a potential cover for a re-print of the Stephen King book Pet Semetary? Rather ethereal and a cracking shot.

Thanks Jim, one of my favourites i've done despite the 17% resize so it could be uploaded here.

Anyone know the state of Whitlingham at the moment? Whitlingham lane for driving? Are the lakes frozen?

Cheers

I don't know the state of the lane, but I have been told the Little Broad is completely frozen but the Great Broad is open, although no scarce ducks on it.

Regards,
James

A drake Eider has been off Sheringham sea front (west end) for the last few days. It seems less eclipsed than those previously.

(It’s the one passing behind a seagull- although that can’t be seen in a still photo.)

There has been a disappointing absence of passerines opposite in this last cold snap. I’d been hoping some might come down and drink, when the water thaws a little.

Attachments

• 051pse.jpg
    051pse.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 063pse.jpg
    063pse.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 95
Cley

There has been a disappointing absence of passerines opposite in this last cold snap. I’d been hoping some might come down and drink, when the water thaws a little.

They're all here FTJ, four species of thrushes, pair of bullfinch and some very showy reedlings I'm informed.

Originally Posted by firstreesjohn
There has been a disappointing absence of passerines opposite in this last cold snap. I’d been hoping some might come down and drink, when the water thaws a little

First Redwing and Fieldfare in the garden since Oct, plus flocks of 100+ and 170+ Skylark locally, mostly in over the last few days.

John
www.kellingnature.zenfolio.com

For those without access to the news services, 2 Bitterns have been reported from Whitlingham CP on north side west of island. Their arrival no doubt a response to frozen pools elsewhere in the valley.
Having said that, I wonder what proportion of our Wintering population of Bitterns are continental?
I hope some of the Whitlingham locals can connect!

Cheers,
Jim.

Theres quite a few reports of Great Bittern lately nearby here in southern western Spain which is unusual, but iv still to spot one, so diff to see!

For those without access to the news services, 2 Bitterns have been reported from Whitlingham CP on north side west of island. Their arrival no doubt a response to frozen pools elsewhere in the valley.
Having said that, I wonder what proportion of our Wintering population of Bitterns are continental?
I hope some of the Whitlingham locals can connect!

Cheers,
Jim.

I have a photo of one of them that I'll post when I get home. Three of us were watching one as a second one flew in! Great stuff! Otherwise 2 goldeneye were the only semi unusual birds. The lane was frozen but not to treacherous for driving.

Cheers

Last edited:
I have a photo of one of them that I'll post when I get home. Three of us were watching one as a second one flew in! Great stuff! Otherwise 2 goldeneye were the only semi unusual birds. The lane was frozen but not to treacherous for driving.

Cheers

Strumpshaw is completely frozen at the moment so I guess they could be some of 'our' birds relocating. Jim, as you say the Bittern population here in the broads dramatically by continental migrants (at least doubled!)

Very few cold weather movements to report from Strumpshaw apart from Skylarks being evident passing overhead, a Jack Snipe flew over yesterday, but not a sniff of a Smew, goosander or even goldeneye on the river, surely soon!

Breaking the rules?

Not in Norfolk, I know, but fairly close. I've attached a not very good pic of the juvenile great northern diver in Lowestoft's Hamilton Dock (now called the Lowestoft Haven Marina) taken on Saturday. This was the best I could do with my lens and the bird staying pretty much in the middle of the Dock; if only some kind yacht owner had let me through the (understandably) very secure gates it would be possible to get quite close on one of the jetties. By walking to the end of Hamilton Road, past the fencing it's possible to get good views - well worth the trip south of the border. Also a small group of turnstones, flying obligingly close between the car park area and the patch of mud near the sea wall. Plus a group of 7 purple sandpipers at Ness Point.

Attachments

• Bird03828_20130112.jpg
    Bird03828_20130112.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 99
  • Bird03825_20130112.jpg
    Bird03825_20130112.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 79

Cheers

Check out the camouflage on this beast (its behind the Egyptian goose)

Attachments

• whitlingham bittern (1 of 1) (Medium).jpg
    whitlingham bittern (1 of 1) (Medium).jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 367
The roost between Langham and Binham is well worth a look at the moment. Plenty of Jackdaws mixed in and a lovely pale Common Buzzard caused a stir this afternoon sending the whole roost up.
50 or so Pink Feet in the field adjacent to the trees containing the roost as well.
Photo attached and a couple more from today.
Cheers.
O.R
Fantastic set of photos Oliver and cropped well - your best yet:t: New camera?

Penny:girl:

Ducky undergoes sex change ?

There was an Eider offshore a little while ago, but now female. (See yesterday’s #19025.)

Harassed by gulls, after surfacing with a catch, she was in exactly the same place as the drake of the last few days. There must be some Eider-friendly food down there.

Close scrutiny did not elicit a change of address to ‘Your Majesty’ or that she should be renamed Stella, unfortunately.

Attachments

• 025pse.jpg
    025pse.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 94
There was an Eider offshore a little while ago, but now female. (See yesterday’s #19025.)

Harassed by gulls, after surfacing with a catch, she was in exactly the same place as the drake of the last few days. There must be some Eider-friendly food down there.

Close scrutiny did not elicit a change of address to ‘Your Majesty’ or that she should be renamed Stella, unfortunately.

Why so unambitious - or are you afraid of making a "spectacle" of yourself ?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back