• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bird evolution sources (1 Viewer)

Yes, Andy, I should have been more specific. I wanted a book that covered the evolution thru modern birds. The various theories of first bird evolution are interesting, but most are pretty speculative.

It is an interesting topic, why would a four legged creature give up its arms for wings?

Charles Harper said:
Is there another choice besides corvids? What do you mean, `advanced`? Like `advanced weaponry`?
Yes there is another choice, maybe even several: what do You mean by advanced - make Your choice?
Eg. it can be stated that Cyanobacteria are the most evolved creatures - at least they have had the longest time...

In theory, the most advanced life forms are the ones with the shortest generation time - they've gone through the largest number of evolution opportunities.

Somehow I doubt it works quite like that in practice.

Michael

I see what you mean, Michael, but that goes against the ideas of K-selection vs. r-selection, where the theory is that the most successful species require the fewest offspring.

Shortest generation time may mean nothing more than fewest genes.

I was surprised to find this one
The Origin and Evolution of Birds
Alan Feduccia
Paperback - 2ND ILLUS, April 1999
$32.00

on the bookstore shelves. It is OK, readable for us amateurs. I skipped over most of the familiar but speculative early stuff, but there certainly were many attempts at flight. The opposite birds, with leg bones fused a different way than modern birds, took over the cretaceous period. A few birds might have survived the extinction event to the cenozoic, but even they have some relation to modern birds.

With the vacuum in nature allowed birds and mammals to fill every niche then in the cenozoic period. There is quite a bit more detail than I imagined. Few feathers have survived as fossils, though.

Some bird encyclopedias do discuss the natural history of birds in a few pages. This is a lot to read, I have read maybe 50 pages so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back