• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falconidae: Polyborinae (1 Viewer)

Richard Klim

-------------------------
Fuchs, Johnson & Mindell (in press). Molecular systematics of the caracaras and allies (Falconidae: Polyborinae) inferred from mitochondrial and nuclear sequence data. Ibis. [abstract] [supp info]

Recommends reassignment of Chimango Caracara Milvago chimango to Phalcoboenus.

Last edited:
This one is quite funny to annoying.

In Colombia, "Polyborus plancus" featured in the Country's only field guide for almost 25 years (Hilty & Brown 1986, p115). During most of those two and a half decades, it was mostly known as "Caracara cheriway" by other ornithologists - but a large body of publications built up in Colombian ornithology using P plancus nonetheless, as do historical works. The field guides since 2010 all used C. cheriway, following SACC. Now this one will be called "Caracara plancus", a combination of the two previous versions. The birds, now moving on to their third Latin name, still look the same to me as they did when I first went to Colombia in the mid 1990s.

The separation of these two "species" at unspecified localities somewhere in the middle of Amazonia never made much sense and I suppose this change must be right. But taxonomists here have caused much confusion - it's a poster child for unjustified tinkering with taxonomy or an advertisement for using English names and abandoning binomial nomenclature!!

This one is quite funny to annoying.

In Colombia, "Polyborus plancus" featured in the Country's only field guide for almost 25 years (Hilty & Brown 1986, p115). During most of those two and a half decades, it was mostly known as "Caracara cheriway" by other ornithologists - but a large body of publications built up in Colombian ornithology using P plancus nonetheless, as do historical works. The field guides since 2010 all used C. cheriway, following SACC. Now this one will be called "Caracara plancus", a combination of the two previous versions. The birds, now moving on to their third Latin name, still look the same to me as they did when I first went to Colombia in the mid 1990s.

The separation of these two "species" at unspecified localities somewhere in the middle of Amazonia never made much sense and I suppose this change must be right. But taxonomists here have caused much confusion - it's a poster child for unjustified tinkering with taxonomy or an advertisement for using English names and abandoning binomial nomenclature!!
But you've missed, both generic names are invalid, the new name will be Thickastwoshort plancus :king:

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back