• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice please (1 Viewer)

pduxon

Quacked up Member
I'm thinking of buying a new scope........

I'm considering the Opticron HR66 and ES80 which gives you some idea of budget. Any others I should consider? Fixed or Zoom lens?

I tend to use scopes in hides and don't do a lot of seawatching.

I'm leaning to the 66 because I'm used to using a straight scope at present.

There is no intention of getting into digiscoping.

Not sure about models and I'm sure others will help you there. I switched from a straight thru scope to an angled a few years ago and was also concerned about getting used to it. In fact it was really quick and after one trip I could pick up birds as easily as with the straight thru. I find the many advantages to the angled mean that I would never consider a straight thru now (angled is easier to use in most hides, ability to have tripod set lower for more stability, a bit easier to pick up flying birds etc).

Ivan

We both have the ES80 and also switched from a straight scope (Bushnell Spacemaster) to the angled.

As Ivan says, it was no problem getting used to it and I now could not go back to a straight scope for all the reasons given above.

Pete

I also have the ES80. I use it from hides quite a lot, just rest it on the viewing windowsill and look through sideways kind of. It confuses people sometimes because your head is facing one way, but you're really looking 45 degrees off. You get used to it quickly. I must admit a sighting device would sometimes be useful ( I use it with a stay on case ), Diane and hubby use it naked and use the sight bar!.

I have to jump in here and defend myself and Keith in that we do not birdwatch in the buff! Alan means without the stay-on case.

The ES80 has a little bar down the side that helps you to line up the subject. I also have the sighting tube from EagleEye that goes round the scope objective end.

Pete,
I have the HR66 although it's the angled version. Used with their Opticron HDF 20ww eyepiece which is for spectacle wearers it seems to suit my eyes and does all that I need a scope for, with a bright sharp high resolution image. As I usually bird in fine weather I cannot tell any difference between looking through it and the Kowas, Leicas, Zeisses and Swarovskis of this world. Of course in poor dull weather it could perhaps be a much different story. However as I say for my type of birding its admirable, and much cheaper than most of the above. As usual try before you buy and compare and contrast as what seems O K for my eyes may not suit yours.

Alan - You realise you got me in trouble with Diane in the chat room last night. Sorry Diane!!

If I go the ES80 route what lens would you recommend I was considering the 32x wwHDF or the zoom

obviously I'll have to compare the 66 & 80. It'll have to wait to after my holiday now. I'll probably get it in time for the suffolk trip.

pduxon said:
Alan - You realise you got me in trouble with Diane in the chat room last night. Sorry Diane!!

If I go the ES80 route what lens would you recommend I was considering the 32x wwHDF or the zoom

obviously I'll have to compare the 66 & 80. It'll have to wait to after my holiday now. I'll probably get it in time for the suffolk trip.

Pete - I think we managed to sort out the misunderstanding!

I bought the 32x eyepiece with the scope, but purchased the 23x when I started to digiscope to cut down the effect of shake with the high magnification.

As you don't intend to try digiscoping, the higher magnification should be OK. It may even fit either of the scopes you have in mind.

Others may recommend the zoom - it's all down to personal preference. They say a fixed eyepiece gives a better image than a zoom at the same setting, although this may be minimal with the quality of today's optics.

pduxon said:

Pete
Sorry, but what did I do?. I just described how Diane & Hubby like having theirs, as nature intended ( & Opticron ).:bounce:

My ES80 came with the x32 eypiece. As my camera has no zoom I purchased the HDF Zoom ( 20-60 ) and enjoy using it immensely. I find it more useful at 20x to locate a bird & then zooming in to get a closer look. If & when I get a better Camera I am sure that at 20x it will be fine!. I don't miss not have the 32x on the scope at all!.

Did you have a good holiday?.
Originally posted a the naked scope owner
I bought the 32x eyepiece with the scope, but purchased the 23x when I started to digiscope to cut down the effect of shake with the high magnification.

Diane, I should cut down on the wine, or perhaps put more clothes on, its starting to get cold in the evenings!.:t:

Last edited:
Diane - I am a bit of a windup merchant. I'll spare your blushes and not tell him your suggestion for the magazine.

Alan - which holiday? I have so many coming up! Last week was a family one where I did the dutiful son bit and took my parents away. Did no formal birding but the National Trust et al provided me with 42 birds. In two weeks time I'm off to the South West for a weeks touring. End of Oct its Suffolk.

Thanks for your help folks. I found myself with some time late this afternoon and so had a chance to do the audition. Went for the ES80 with the zoom. The Kowa I tried wasn't worth the extra the 66 was good but...... I was uming and ahing between the zoom and the 32x both having their merits and scientifically tossed a coin in the end!

It will of course be discreetly covered up in its stay on case

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back