• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SLC, Monarch HG, Conquest or Trinovid ? (1 Viewer)

Yes true, For 3-4 days i kept watching through SLC in low light and HG and kept on finding a reason to go for SLC instead of HG but to be honest as several members mentioned there is no difference in Image quality. Almost identical and FOV, Price, weight of HG beats SLC hands down. In Warranty and Housing ofcourse SLC mayb better in long run
Honestly, when it comes down to it. The two are very close and it is personal preference which one to choose. I have found Nikon will take care of you about as well as Swarovski will. I wouldn't worry about the warranty or the build quality. That Nikon MHG will last you a long time.

Thanks everyone for your help and inputs. I bought Nikon Monarch HG 8x42 after comparing with Swarovski SLC 10x42 for 3 days in low light and cloudy weather. Here is my rough review:
https://youtu.be/GfxFw6xIpeQ
Your review was very good! I enjoyed it. Interesting resolution test on the tombstone's! It is not haunted there is it? For a better case and strap than Nikon supplies try the Zeiss Conquest 42mm case and the Vero Vellini strap. I usually replace those two thing's on all my binocular's. The case work's much better and you can put your strap inside the case and the Vero Vellini strap is much simpler and lighter and nicer than the Nikon strap.

https://www.amazon.com/Zeiss-Cordur...eiss+conquest+case+42mm&qid=1591586557&sr=8-1
https://www.amazon.com/Vero-Vellini...vero+vellini+strap&qid=1591586618&sr=8-2&th=1

Attachments

• 71jt6CEDOYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71jt6CEDOYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 51+DSGna2BL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    51+DSGna2BL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your help and inputs. I bought Nikon Monarch HG 8x42 after comparing with Swarovski SLC 10x42 for 3 days in low light and cloudy weather. Here is my rough review:
https://youtu.be/GfxFw6xIpeQ

Hello Mohammad,

unfortunately the youtube video does not work for me so I can not say what you rated !?
But comparing an 8x42 with a 10x42 is always apples and pears, didn't you have the opportunity to get an 8x42 SLC?

Andreas

All true but the Nikon MHG has:

1) Bigger FOV
2) Way less distortion
3) Much better close focus of less than 5 feet versus 10 feet for the SLC. Which is important for insect watcher's.
4) It is 4 oz. lighter at 24 oz. versus the SLC at 28 oz.
5) It is $500.00 less expensive.

Hello Dennis,

Of course it is always a question of what is important to you!

For me personally, the points I mentioned would be more important than their points.
I do not need binoculars with a close focus because I do not observe any insects with the binoculars, and the focuser is also more susceptible to damage.
A robust housing is also more important to me, even if it makes the binoculars a bit heavier, ultimately the price differences in Germany are around 250-300 Euros, ( $ 280-340) the SLC have decreased significantly in price.

Andreas

Thnx Chuck 4 appreciating.

Thnx Denco, Its not haunted but i do live amongst the dead.. Hahaha ;) Bag and strap lukss amazing. will certainly order :)

Andreas i also wantd to compare 10x42 and 8x42 but i agree may be in HG 8x42 vs SLC 8x42.. SLC comes out as winner.. But still i think i gt the best prices in Europe by Runar and for me it wud hve been a HG bcoz of FOV, low weight, Price and almost at par Image quality :)

Hello Dennis,

Of course it is always a question of what is important to you!

For me personally, the points I mentioned would be more important than their points.
I do not need binoculars with a close focus because I do not observe any insects with the binoculars, and the focuser is also more susceptible to damage.
A robust housing is also more important to me, even if it makes the binoculars a bit heavier, ultimately the price differences in Germany are around 250-300 Euros, ( $ 280-340) the SLC have decreased significantly in price.

Andreas
The biggest difference between the Nikon Monarch HG and the Swarovski HD SLC is the Nikon uses a field flattener to alleviate distortion and the SLC doesn't so it has more distortion. The Nikon Monarch HG is closer in design to the Swarovski SV so it comes down to a matter of personal preference.

Last edited:
Hello Dennis,

That is a point that I am criticizing with the MHG 8x42, that flat-field goes up to 80% of the field of view, that the SLC can do without flat-field!
The marginal areas are no better in the MHG than in the SLC, but they have a larger field of view, which is just one criterion among many others, if it were only about that you could also buy an old Asahi Pentax that 7x35 has even 11 ° degrees FOV.
I tested the MHG 8x42 against an EL 8.5x42 and the Swaro was superior in all optic respects, especially with the edge sharpness!
Again, I think the MHG is a decent middle-class binocular, but I cannot confirm that it would be on par with an EL, SF or EDG.

Andreas

Hello Dennis,

That is a point that I am criticizing with the MHG 8x42, that flat-field goes up to 80% of the field of view, that the SLC can do without flat-field!
The marginal areas are no better in the MHG than in the SLC, but they have a larger field of view, which is just one criterion among many others, if it were only about that you could also buy an old Asahi Pentax that 7x35 has even 11 ° degrees FOV.
I tested the MHG 8x42 against an EL 8.5x42 and the Swaro was superior in all optic respects, especially with the edge sharpness!
Again, I think the MHG is a decent middle-class binocular, but I cannot confirm that it would be on par with an EL, SF or EDG.

Andreas
I agree with everything you said. The big difference between the MHG and the SLC is the SLC has way more distortion than the MHG which can be a good thing if you are sensitive to RB.

SLC Distortion The distance of the first curved line from the field centre compared to the field of view radius: 45% +\- 5% 5/10.0
MHG Distortion The distance between the first curved line and the field centre compared to the field of view radius: 92% ± 2% 10/10.0

https://www.allbinos.com/122-binoculars_review-Swarovski_SLC_New_10x42_WB.html
https://www.allbinos.com/314-binoculars_review-Nikon_Monarch_HG_10x42.html

Last edited:
Hello Dennis,

the 8x42 was not tested at all, also link a test from the older 10x42 SLC here, where did allbino's test the new 8x42 SLC?
I also find no test of the MHG 8x42, what's the distortion like?
I think they take over the assessment of allbino's too often, I only rate binoculars that I have seen myself!

Andreas

Last edited:
I think you can extrapolate somewhat from the 8x42 to the 10x42. I find Allbino's is pretty objective and fairly accurate on most thing's. I have had the Nikon MHG 8x42's and the Swarovski's SLC 8x42's and the SLC without a doubt has more distortion but for some it is not a bad thing as it controls AMD which bother's some people and it is built into some binocular's for that reason and that is probably why Swarovski has it in the SLC's.

I think you can extrapolate somewhat from the 8x42 to the 10x42. I find Allbino's is pretty objective and fairly accurate on most thing's.

Hi,

no you can not easily...

A 10x binocular has other parameters, to transfer these 1: 1 to 8x binoculars and to derive a reason from this is not allowed, especially since it is the older SLC version!
The best example here is the Noctivid by Leica, the distortion starts much earlier in the 10x than in the 8x and, in my opinion, is also more noticeable.
I do not dispute that the SLC has distortion, but the values ​​measured by Allbinos are very doubtful, at least if you transfer it to the 8x.

Allbinos is making a lot of effort when evaluating binoculars, but they are also known for the fact that some measurements are clearly wrong, that Fujinon FMT 7x50 is a good example, a transmission of 97.9% is given here, never ever ...and the list could go on and on.

Andreas

Adeel has made his choice, we all have differing opinions and reasons to pick a certain glass. Personally as I have the Meopta 8X42 and 7X42 Meostar, I have no need to even look at an SLC in 8X42.

Andy W.

Adeel has made his choice, we all have differing opinions and reasons to pick a certain glass.

Hello Andy,

that's not the point, if Mohammad is satisfied with the MHG I don't want to shake it and wish him a lot of fun with the binoculars!

Many beginners who want to learn about binoculars also read here. You should therefore look for ratings that also cover the binoculars mentioned and do not make inadmissible cross-comparisons with other binoculars.

Recently, someone asked for a SLC 15x56, in order to substantiate his opinion that the Meopta 15x56 was equivalent, a test was pulled out, but it was kept secret that this test was the old model of the SLC although almost everyone knows that the new one SLC is significantly better!
Sorry but I find that a bit doubtful.

Andreas

Hello Andy,

that's not the point, if Mohammad is satisfied with the MHG I don't want to shake it and wish him a lot of fun with the binoculars!

Many beginners who want to learn about binoculars also read here. You should therefore look for ratings that also cover the binoculars mentioned and do not make inadmissible cross-comparisons with other binoculars.

Recently, someone asked for a SLC 15x56, in order to substantiate his opinion that the Meopta 15x56 was equivalent, a test was pulled out, but it was kept secret that this test was the old model of the SLC although almost everyone knows that the new one SLC is significantly better!
Sorry but I find that a bit doubtful.

Andreas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1zaj5H48f4

I have had them both. I picked the Meopta Meostar HD 15x56. Less CA than the SLC with the Schott glass especially on the edges and way less expensive.

Last edited:
Dennis the 15x56 do not matter to me now, they ignite fog candles again!

When talking about 8x42 binoculars you shouldn't dig out old reviews of 10x42 binoculars and try to support your theories!
The same with their link for comparison Meopta vs. SLC, why don't you mention that it was the old SLC?
There are a lot of beginners who want to find out, comparisons like theirs can lead to confusion, it is often not easy for experienced binocular observers to tell these whole models apart, so it is all the more difficult for beginners!

Ultimately, their almost slavish esteem for the ratings of allbinos is often amusing, but in many cases lacks any basis and unfortunately does not always contribute to finding the truth, a somewhat more critical analysis of the ratings would not necessarily damage them.

Andreas

Dennis the 15x56 do not matter to me now, they ignite fog candles again!

When talking about 8x42 binoculars you shouldn't dig out old reviews of 10x42 binoculars and try to support your theories!
The same with their link for comparison Meopta vs. SLC, why don't you mention that it was the old SLC?
There are a lot of beginners who want to find out, comparisons like theirs can lead to confusion, it is often not easy for experienced binocular observers to tell these whole models apart, so it is all the more difficult for beginners!

Ultimately, their almost slavish esteem for the ratings of allbinos is often amusing, but in many cases lacks any basis and unfortunately does not always contribute to finding the truth, a somewhat more critical analysis of the ratings would not necessarily damage them.

Andreas
That is not the old Swarovski SLC in that Youtube link. That is the new HD SLC that was compared to the Meopta Meostar HD 15x56 if you watched the video. Most manufacturer's don't change their binocular's that much so those reviews on Allbino's are very valid and more objective than one person's subjective opinion about a binocular especially when it is one that they own. I personally trust Allbino's more than one person's opinion on their binocular's because I have found it to be more accurate. People tend to be biased towards their own binocular's. The binocular's they have are alway's the best.

Last edited:
It takes awhile, even on this forum, to figure what folks are consistent, and whose opinions are backed with use in the field, vs. those that quote 'facts' from websites that anyone can find. I read the same websites, but even those generally only offer one person's point of view, it seems to me, no matter how 'official' they appear to be. A classic example is Tobias Mennies website, which I've enjoyed reading for years. Yet, after hearing some of his more outspoken comments, I came to realize how much personal bias played a role in his critical thinking, which may have nothing to do with my own experience of the same exact phenomena. One single individual's opinion from 'anywhere' on the internet will not necessarily correspond to one's own experience/response to the same piece of equipment. so take everything with a grain of salt, and do your homework.

Only over time can you develop a better awareness of what/who to trust around these issues.

One can learn plenty from others on this forum, but trust yourself first. Real world use is wholly different than a list of statistics. I'm guilty of advising others based on 'specifications' myself.

-Bill

That is not the old Swarovski SLC in that Youtube link. That is the new HD SLC that was compared to the Meopta Meostar HD 15x56 if you watched the video.

it is not about this video and the knowledge you have, but about a video that you linked to another thread!

Most manufacturer's don't change their binocular's that much so those reviews on Allbino's are very valid and more objective

Where do you get the information that some manufacturers do not visibly improve their models from one to the next modell?
The best examples are the SLC 8/10/15x56, these glasses have been significantly improved!
And even if it is not permissible to conclude from a 10x format to an 8x format, these are two pairs of shoes.

People tend to be biased towards their own binocular's. The binocular's they have are alway's the best.

Which is something they always impressively demonstrate in their case!

That binoculars are always viewed subjectively is correct, but you can still try to name the weak points, no binoculars are perfect and ultimately it is important that the questioner finds "his" glass for a certain binocular and does not unconditionally buy what I buy propose to him and whoever chooses a different model, I don't see it as a personal defeat, as it sometimes seems in their case!
I try to advise questioners to the best of their knowledge and certainty, like most people here, personal vanities have no place there.

Incidentally, you have the wrong 8x42, that EDG is only in second place behind the Swarovski at allbinos.

Andreas

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back