• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Viking ED 10x42 or Hawke Frontier 10x42 (1 Viewer)

thegoon

Hi All

Does anyone have any experience with either Viking ED 10x42 or Hawke Frontier 10x42?

I'm looking for a new pair of bins with £500ish to spend (could go a little higher if I'm extra nice to the missus :) ) I've seen great reviews on the Nikon HGL 10x42 but these may just be beyond my reach.

Are the 2 models I've listed much different to the Nikon?

I had a quick look at the Viking ED at an RSPB site, and found the image superb, but the hinge very loose. I only tried them for a few minutes indoors, so didn't get a chance to "test them fully".

Any help greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

My advice would be get an 8x42 Hawke and then spend the money you save on scope. 10x has too narrow a field and the view will nor be as steady as the 8x. You will not "see" any more through the higher mag unless you do all of your viewing at very long distances. I was the same when I started birdwatching seriously, I thought the higher the mag the better - wrong! Whatever you get will be light years better than the zoom you are currently using. Enjoy your new toys when you get them.

Paul

Hi All

I had a quick look at the Viking ED at an RSPB site, and found the image superb, but the hinge very loose. I only tried them for a few minutes indoors, so didn't get a chance to "test them fully".

I also have looked at a Viking ED 10x42 and found the hinge too loose (at Minsmere). If you held it horizontal the barrels would close under gravity.

I preferred the RSPB HD in 10x power to the Viking - Ive only had very brief views through Hawke ED's but they seem good for the money though have a very slow focus as I recall.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back