• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (61 Viewers)

where do you get information about whats at Flamborough? im tempted to do both as well :p

Do a Google Search for Flamborough Bird Observatory and there's a Yahoo Group you can sign up to. It's not as well updated as Spurn.

Whatever you do don't try to do Flam and Spurn on the same day, unless you're desperate to twitch one particular bird, as you'll nearly spend as much time driving as birdwatching. It's further than it looks as the crow flies, on a lot of 30mph roads.

Do a Google Search for Flamborough Bird Observatory and there's a Yahoo Group you can sign up to. It's not as well updated as Spurn.

Whatever you do don't try to do Flam and Spurn on the same day, unless you're desperate to twitch one particular bird, as you'll nearly spend as much time driving as birdwatching. It's further than it looks as the crow flies, on a lot of 30mph roads.

I had a quiet day at spurn earlier in the year and went to twitch bluethroat at filey, quite doable but you run the risk of something turning up behind you.

With current conditions easterlies forecast into next week Monday is no likely to be different from Sunday in what can turn up? Obviously what does turn up no one will ever know. I could have a client to see tomorrow which makes Spurn an impossibility if he confirms for tomorrow. Not looking forward to Monday on the m62 at all. How bad is it from Huddersfield to Hull?

I think I will only do Flamborough if decide to stay the night. Is Bempton good for migrants as well?

With current conditions easterlies forecast into next week Monday is no likely to be different from Sunday in what can turn up? Obviously what does turn up no one will ever know. I could have a client to see tomorrow which makes Spurn an impossibility if he confirms for tomorrow. Not looking forward to Monday on the m62 at all. How bad is it from Huddersfield to Hull?

I think I will only do Flamborough if decide to stay the night. Is Bempton good for migrants as well?

I have a client who travels from Skipton every week, another from Ilkley & a couple from Tadcaster, they've never complained about this end of the M62 at all.

M62 gets progressively easier as you travel eastwards - Huddersfield to Leeds tough but after that light in comparison to most motorways in England. Another benefit of leaving in Hull along with a premiership football team, uniquely two Super League teams and easy access to some of the best mainland bird migration sites in UK

Hi all. I know there have been YBW's everywhere this week but local birders may like to know there were 2 along Rosedale Lane between Port Mulgrave and Hinderwell this morning. They were in the gardens close to No.23 and I'd say there's a good chance they may end up in the trees around the turn-off to Port Mulgrave - by the churchyard there. I was disappointed as we packed to head back to Norfolk from a week long stay in PM that I hadn't chanced upon one as we'd walked past some superb coastal habitat during the week and it was pure luck that my window was down as we drove past a calling bird. We stopped and there were two present, showing really well. On the downside, my camera was packed away in the boot! For me it was the perfect end to a really enjoyable week in and around the North Yorkshire Moors, an area that has to be one of the most beautiful parts of the UK (my first visit).

I hope you all have a fantastic Autumn...

Atb,

James

Well, a disappointingly quiet couple of days in Flam, the easterlies didn't produce what I was hoping, probably due to the fine clear weather that accompanied them. Can't sniff at finally getting Red-breasted Flycatcher off the bogey list, which showed excellently in Old Fall, plus a couple of Yellow-broweds, a Pied Fly and a Redstart. A couple of Arctic Skuas seen out to sea, and a Peregrine attacking crows, were other highlights.

Today the Skua Cruise was cancelled at the very last minute, which was annoying but understandable considering the swell. A very close in male Common Scoter in the harbour was (almost) consolation.

By far the best sighting, though, was a pod of Bottlenose Dolphins close in by the Head yesterday, watched for quite a while doing proper leaps out of the water at times. Did anyone else get on to them, because when I saw them there weren't any other birders anywhere nearby?

Last edited:
Well, a disappointingly quiet couple of days in Flam, the easterlies didn't produce what I was hoping, probably due to the fine clear weather that accompanied them. Can't sniff at finally getting Red-breasted Flycatcher off the bogey list, which showed excellently in Old Fall, plus a couple of Yellow-broweds, a Pied Fly and a Redstart. A couple of Arctic Skuas seen out to sea, and a Peregrine attacking crows, were other highlights.

Today the Skua Cruise was cancelled at the very last minute, which was annoying but understandable considering the swell. A very close in male Common Scoter in the harbour was (almost) consolation.

By far the best sighting, though, was a pod of Bottlenose Dolphins close in by the Head yesterday, watched for quite a while doing proper leaps out of the water at times. Did anyone else get on to them, because when I saw them there weren't any other birders anywhere nearby?

Me and Andy were similarly afflicted at spurn today. Some decent birds nonetheless but nothing spectacular. YBW, SEO, Redstart, Whinchat, Redwing, Brambling, Peregrine.

Also pretty convinced we had nightjar over the car on the way in. Not good views and couldn't get the bins on it but thin winged bounding erratic flight, no idea what else it could have been, I think we were somewhere between Keyingham and Patrington.

I think some were seen at Spurn. I have yet to see any species of Dolphin in the wild.

Hi Trystan,

Was good to meet you again! Where did you get the Whinchat, Redstart and Brambling? I would have to have seen the first two.

I did not see much after the YBW. Got some quite decent views of Brent geese at the North Chalk Bank Hide. I got a female Pied Flycatcher just before that. There was a very tired Wheatear near the visitor centre.

On seawatch saw some Little Gulls, also Bonxie's and Sooty Shearwaters out there - I missed the last two.

Me and Andy were similarly afflicted at spurn today. Some decent birds nonetheless but nothing spectacular. YBW, SEO, Redstart, Whinchat, Redwing, Brambling, Peregrine.

Also pretty convinced we had nightjar over the car on the way in. Not good views and couldn't get the bins on it but thin winged bounding erratic flight, no idea what else it could have been, I think we were somewhere between Keyingham and Patrington.

Hi Trystan,

Was good to meet you again! Where did you get the Whinchat, Redstart and Brambling? I would have to have seen the first two.

I did not see much after the YBW. Got some quite decent views of Brent geese at the North Chalk Bank Hide. I got a female Pied Flycatcher just before that. There was a very tired Wheatear near the visitor centre.

On seawatch saw some Little Gulls, also Bonxie's and Sooty Shearwaters out there - I missed the last two.

There is a path between Kilnsea wetland and the coast which was good for passerines, loads of linnets and mipits plus whinchat, wheatear and brambling. We had another brambling earlier at canal scrape.

Sea watch was unpleasant with head on winds so we gave up hence we didn't see little gull, bonxie or sooty shearwater, all of which would have been year ticks, just the way it goes.

To be fair himalaya I had to really try for the whinchat, trystan got on to it earlier in the morning but I missed it. Later we returned to the same spot hoping to re-find and were in luck but it only showed once. We did however miss out on a hen harrier on returning to the hide by just minutes, again just the way it goes!

Hi Everyone
I wonder if someone could help identify a bird I saw harassing a Kestrel on the Wheldrake Ings (LDV) on Sunday.
The Kestrel was hovering over some rough grass when another bird flew in rapidly and harassed it. Throughout the fight the Kestrel tried to keep station (must have had its eye on a particularly tasty morsel). After a few close tussles the other bird flew away then came racing back at high speed and after some more tussels it chased the Kestrel into a hedge. The other bird followed and settled into the same hedge a few bushes away from the Kestrel, then I lost sight of both.
The aggressor was slightly larger than the kestrel and was a sort of blotchy greyish-brown colour ,with no particular distinguishing markings that I could see. I got the impression it had a raptors head. It certainly wasn’t a crow or rook. It had a broad, well rounded tail. Could it have been a young Buzzard ? but I’ve never seen a Buzzard fly so purposefully, nimbly and swiftly.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Martin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back