• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

place in Europe for a family visit by the end of August? (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
I might be in Europe for some time during the second half of August, with probably 1 week set aside for kids and grandkids. Now, the family usually want to be somewhere warm and easily reachable from a decent size airport. With therefore not so much time to actually enjoy it, where would you go?

Niels

What about our NP Neusiedler See/Seewinkel?
Easy to reach from the airport near Vienna within a 45 min. drive into the NP´s heart: http://goo.gl/maps/tSRJk
Sure warm enough and a reach variety of things to do e.g. birding, bathing, visiting historical places nearby or in Vienna, the worlds oldest zoo, museums, vine tavernes, biking, etc.

Near enough that I can assistent you ;)

Merry Xmas,
Roman

What is your objective? Somewhere you can do just touristy/family things or somewhere you can slip in a bit of birding on the sly?

If the latter, what might be particular birds you would like to see in Europe (I'm guessing you've been before?)

Stonechat1: in case it is the latter, what would be the key birds in the area you suggested and how easy might they be to see?

John

I would like to slip in a little birding on the side. A couple of years ago we had rented a vacation house in Crete which was kind of ideal: I had a few migrants such as Monty's Harrier pass right over the house.

Roman, I recall fondly a visit to the Neusiedler area several years ago. Therefore, that might not have my top priority.

I probably should look at which birds I am missing in Europe to narrow down the field. Unfortunately, that might indicate northern Norway, which will not go well with the family vacation aspect of the thing ;)

Niels

OK, to get to my wish list I took the species of Europe according to my birding database that I have not seen anywhere. That contained a lot of species that are completely outlandish, and I deleted those. Among the rest are still a lot of long shots, and several of them would not be possible in the fall, but here it is, if anyone can give me any further directions. (the little E in front of some of them is for endemic within Europe).

thanks
Niels

Cory's Shearwater
Manx Shearwater
Levantine Shearwater
Balearic Shearwater
Little Shearwater
Dalmatian Pelican
Waldrapp
Lesser Flamingo
Bar-headed Goose
Cackling Goose
Mandarin Duck
Marbled Teal
White-headed Duck
Rueppell's Griffon
Levant Sparrowhawk
Imperial Eagle
Saker Falcon
Barbary Falcon
Willow Ptarmigan
Rock Ptarmigan
Eurasian Capercaillie
Hazel Grouse
E Rock Partridge
Barbary Partridge
Small Buttonquail
Baillon's Crake
Red-knobbed Coot
Houbara Bustard
Macqueen's Bustard
Caspian Plover
Red Phalarope
Audouin's Gull
Caspian Gull
Ivory Gull
Ross' Gull
Sabine's Gull
Thick-billed Murre
Great Spotted Cuckoo
Red-necked Nightjar
White-backed Woodpecker
Eurasian Three-toed Woodpecker
Levaillant's Woodpecker
Gray-faced Woodpecker
Richard's Pipit
Blyth's Pipit
Pechora Pipit
Citrine Wagtail
Moustached Warbler
Aquatic Warbler
Eastern Olivaceous Warbler
Western Olivaceous Warbler
Olive-tree Warbler
Eastern Bonelli's Warbler
Arctic Warbler
Eastern Orphean Warbler
Menetries' Warbler
Tristram's Warbler
E Balearic Warbler
Semicollared Flycatcher
Finsch's Wheatear
Cyprus Wheatear (and others that have not been split in my software)
Sombre Tit
Gray-headed Chickadee
E Corsican Nuthatch
Krueper's Nuthatch
Rock Nuthatch
Rufous-tailed Shrike
Siberian Jay
Dead Sea Sparrow
Rock Petronia
Common Waxbill
Red Avadavat
E Scottish Crossbill
Fire-fronted Serin
Cinereous Bunting
Cretzschmar's Bunting
Little Bunting
Rustic Bunting
Black-headed Bunting

Last edited:
Bar-headed Goose is a bit optimistic!!

An underrated area is NW Sicily. Several airlines fly to Trapani. There are extensive saltpans on the edge of Trapani which are attractive to waders and flamingoes. The port at Trapani attracts cruise liners, though only in small numbers. There is a fabulous historical walled city right next to Trapani called Erice, which may be why the cruise liners stop there.

Stephen

Looking through the list, the following are potential targets in the area. Those marked with a * should be seen if you put in time in the right habitats.

*Cory's Shearwater – should see this esp. if you go on a whale watching trip (recommended)
Levantine Shearwater – not impossible, but perhaps unlikely
Balearic Shearwater – fair chance
*Waldrapp – excellent chance of seeing re-introduced population
Lesser Flamingo – sometimes breeds at Fuente de Piedra but August not a good time
*Marbled Teal – good possibility
*White-headed Duck – should see
Rueppell's Griffon – doable if you put in time at migration watchpoints near Tarifa
Spanish Imperial Eagle – small population in area – seeable with a modicum of luck
Barbary Partridge – Gibraltar - declining
Small Buttonquail – extinct or effectively so in Spain; if you see it rush out and buy a lottery ticket too!
Baillon's Crake – outside possibility somewhere like Brazo de Este, but very unlikely
*Red-knobbed Coot – good chance at various sites
*Audouin's Gull – should see
Great Spotted Cuckoo – possible on passage, but you need a lot of luck
*Red-necked Nightjar – should see if searched for at a known site
*Iberian Green Woodpecker – a possible future ‘armchair tick – not always easy, but present in fair numbers
*Western Olivaceous Warbler – harder in late summer but still about
*Rock Petronia – localised, but should be present at several sites
*Common Waxbill – local, but not uncommon
Red Avadavat – not seen it personally in the area but this introduced species is said to be increasing

Thanks John,
I should have made it clear: the Imperial Eagle I am missing is the eastern variety, I have seen the Iberian variety both in Spain and Portugal (and about 20 years apart!).

The others look like there is a good reason to think about southern Spain. I would not expect all of them though, unless I can have a second week without most of the family in tow ;)

Niels

Edit: if the rest of the family agree, are there good search engines for finding a place with room for 6 adults and 4 small kids?

Thank you both. Seems that I just need to convince the rest of the family that this is a good idea ;)

Niels

I can recommend Huerta Grande,Pelayo,between Algeciras and Tarifa.All types of self catering in a woodland setting.....Eddy

Seconded - a lovely site with exhibition/information centre, walk down to the coast, stunning views over to Africa, little venta on site and superbly placed for BoP migration. What does your family want out of the holiday? I'm sure that Eddy and I can drip feed you with reasons why they'd like the area too ..... sherry bodegas, historic towns, etc., etc.

First of all, presence of a pool in the place we stay, closely followed by a playground. One is interested in ancient Greek and Roman culture, one mainly wants to sun, etc.

Regarding Huerta Grande, how hot would it be in late August? It does not say anything about AC for the bedrooms, which some of them might question?

thanks
Niels

[...] One is interested in ancient Greek and Roman culture, one mainly wants to sun, etc.
[...]
thanks
Niels
Imperial Eagle
Saker Falcon
Moustached Warbler
Mandarin Duck
ancient Roman excavations and museums (http://www.carnuntum.co.at/carnuntum-in-roman-times) within a 15 min drive or 30 min (http://landesmuseum-burgenland.at/de/burgenland) with original roman mosaics or even better in Vienna the "Kunsthistorisches Museum="Museum of Art History" at http://bit.ly/K6Gzl8 or some infos: http://bit.ly/1hHbTCU Explore the museums website! When there just cross the square and visit the famous Naturhistorical Museum (http://nhm-wien.ac.at/en/exhibitions/permanent_exhibitions)
Especially the "Museum of Fine Art" is the way to go for anyone interested in cultural life, paintings, etc.

The Roman ruin at Baelo Claudia http://www.museosdeandalucia.es/culturaydeporte/museos/CABC/index.jsp?redirect=S2_1_2.jsp is superb. Much less well known is the ruin at Carteia - http://www.sanroque.es/turismo/rutas/turismo-cultural/carteia - Roman & pre-Roman. Roman sewers (!) at Medina Sidonia. Good Roman ruins at Italica (Seville). Archaeological museums in Cadiz (oldest continuously inhabited city in Europe) jerez, Seville & Malaga.

It can be very hot in August although the wind often cools things down.

Imperial Eagle
Saker Falcon
Moustached Warbler
Mandarin Duck

Roman,
you piqued my interest: the eagle and falcon, I know they exist in Hungary, but I have no idea how easy they are to get to. And my experience with warblers is that August is generally not a good time. How difficult are these four species, and the fifth I thought you would have mentioned, Gray-faced Woodpecker?

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back