• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Experience new birding (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dipped

Anyone else noticed the teaser advert for new bins on the zeiss site? Only 15 days to go to experience new birding. The clock is ticking down!
Could it be IS bins?

what is left?
recent Terras and HTs
time to upgrade the old IS
maybe they listened to posts here and coming out with a new 7x42-doubt it
digital binoculars

just something to get my money

edj

What ever it is it will be announced at about 4 AM Eastern Daylight Savings time in 15 days.

Bob

Amongst Zeiss' recent patents there are designs for IS, complex zoom optics and mirror manufacture. Probably totally unrelated to the countdown of course.

David

A new 8x32 Victory HT, is my guess.

First came the 42 and 54 mm, 8 and 10 X models.

Now its the birders turn.

Jerry

Last edited:

Jerry

This, I would certainly take a hard look.
Then my wife could use the sv?
Having a hard time hooking her up with good glass.

Tired of trying the cheaper models she just gets frustrated.

If she would just use regular glasses maybe the problem would be solved?

I don't wear glasses when using binoculars so my frustration is building.

Bryce...

well, I use a leica duovid 10+15x50 for shore birds
sometimes 10x is just not enough

edj

Well, you just answered your own question, if it works for you then
that is very good enough for me. I do like any advancement in the
optics world.

This post started about the Zeiss promo on the website for a new
binocular for birders. Trust me, it will not be a countdown for a new
$4,000. IS super binocular.

Jerry

I personally don't think it will be a new 8x32 HT. I believe a new range catering explicitly for birders is more likely, starting with 42mm models with large fields of view.

Hermann

Every time one of the big names comes out with a new top model, they tell us that it will let us see birds like never before or provide a totally new experience or for the first time show us nature in its true vibrancy etc. What we get is typically 1-3 % more light throughput or 4 % wider field of view or 60 cm closer near focus or something equally earth-shattering. SV's sharp to the edge is one of the few exceptions, since it really was the first sharp-to-the-edge binocular, but even here we can justifiably be of many opinions about the value of the feature in real day-to-day birding. In addition, it has happened more than once and with more than one big name that a mysterious and highly anticipated launch turns to a lingering wait for the actual product to hit the shelves in any significant numbers.

So let's calm down and enjoy the birds we can see now with the optics we own at present.

On a more serious and obsessive note, the picture in the teaser shows something very much resembling the current HT from the front. That makes me doubt the models would incorporate IS, which would be the only thing that would make me interested in personally owning one, not just reviewing it. IS is also a feature that would benefit hunters just as much as birders, so I'm inclined to think that the novelty is going to be in something like what I outlined in the first paragraph above, even though that was written with satirical intent.

Kimmo

Birders don't want IS, or else we would be seeing far more of the Canon's in the field. They have a good rep. and good optics but I have only ever run across 2 in the field in all my years.

With low mag. bins I almost never feel the need for any sort of IS, and would feel the extra weight / bulk / complexity / cost / fragility / battery life worries - issues an unnecessary burden. Give me a balanced package and outstanding optics and I'm good to go, although I realize the older set may see benefits in the IS, although likely not in the packages offered currently.

what do we really need that we do not already have?

I have a dozen binoculars that I have collected over 18 years,
and it is getting harder to find something different worth buying

some want a high quality 7x
we are getting more high quality mid priced models
seems like we have enough $2-3000 pairs
like 7x, IS and zoom have very small markets

sadly, Kimmo is probably right

???
edj

Last edited:
Birders don't want IS, or else we would be seeing far more of the Canon's in the field. They have a good rep. and good optics but I have only ever run across 2 in the field in all my years.

With low mag. bins I almost never feel the need for any sort of IS, and would feel the extra weight / bulk / complexity / cost / fragility / battery life worries - issues an unnecessary burden. Give me a balanced package and outstanding optics and I'm good to go, although I realize the older set may see benefits in the IS, although likely not in the packages offered currently.

I've never found any with dcent eye relief yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back