• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice Needed: Victory HT or SF? (1 Viewer)

Steve260

Good morning everyone (from here in Central PA),

This is my first post to this forum, although I have spent the last week or so reading the various threads. There is clearly a LOT of experience and knowledge here!

I wonder if I could ask for some advice?

I have a pair of Zeiss Victory HT 10x42 binoculars that I have been very pleased with. As I get older, I am finding it more difficult to hold them steady for longer periods, so I am considering the purchase of a pair of 8x42s for more every-day use. The 10x42s don't feel heavy to me - the 10-power magnification just is becoming harder to hold steady. I think the tradeoff of a little magnification for the steadier and wider view of 8x42s would probably be worth it.

My question is this: should I purchase a pair of Victory HT 8x42s now, or wait for the 8x42 SFs to be available this fall? There are no Zeiss dealers near my home, so I won't be able to try out either model before purchasing. The difference in cost is not really a factor for me. I am just seeking to give my aging eyes the best possible view under the widest range of conditions.

Any and all advice would be very welcome!

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Good morning everyone (from here in Central PA),

This is my first post to this forum, although I have spent the last week or so reading the various threads. There is clearly a LOT of experience and knowledge here!

I wonder if I could ask for some advice?

I have a pair of Zeiss Victory HT 10x42 binoculars that I have been very pleased with. As I get older, I am finding it more difficult to hold them steady for longer periods, so I am considering the purchase of a pair of 8x42s for more every-day use. The 10x42s don't feel heavy to me - the 10-power magnification just is becoming harder to hold steady. I think the tradeoff of a little magnification for the steadier and wider view of 8x42s would probably be worth it.

My question is this: should I purchase a pair of Victory HT 8x42s now, or wait for the 8x42 SFs to be available this fall? There are no Zeiss dealers near my home, so I won't be able to try out either model before purchasing. The difference in cost is not really a factor for me. I am just seeking to give my aging eyes the best possible view under the widest range of conditions.

Any and all advice would be very welcome!

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Steve,

Since I've had them both in my hands, my choice would be easy.
Why do I use the SLC and not the SV? Because I can't get used to the RB.
You could compare that to these Zeiss models, only with some more differences:
The RB is not so much dominant in the SF.
The balance of the SF is better compared to that of the HT. The grip around the SF is better (IMHO).

The only thing is........

Will Zeiss make these productionmodels this time right from the start as they should be???

Jan

:hi:

Welcome to Bird Forum Steve!

Do you live near Montoursville? Eurooptic carries Zeiss and Swarovski.

Check out their website:http://www.eurooptic.com/ContactUs.aspx

You might be able to try them out there.

Alternatively, The Lost Creek Shoe Shop, an Amish establishment near Mifflintown, not far off Route 22, also sells highest quality new and used European and Japanese Optics which can be tried out on the deck they have for that purpose.

There is an entire thread about it here on Bird Forum, pictures and all, which you will find fascinating I'm sure. They take trades too.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=99221

Honey Creek Bill and Beak is also a Swarovski Dealer. It is near Lewistown.

Bob

Last edited:
Yes, welcome to Birdforum, Steve. Must be something in the PA water that turns so many of us into optics geeks. ;)

So far as I know, Eurooptic doesn't have a storefront, but you might give them a call and ask if you could stop by. They definitely carry all the high-end stuff.

Personally, I'd wait to see the 8x SF. It sounds remarkable.

But even though cost isn't an issue for you, Eagle Optics regularly has HT demos that are $750 less than the SF will be. That's enough of a difference to get anyone's attention. :eek!:

Mark

Jan - thanks for the comparison. I tried a pair of 8x42 SV, and while the RB effect was noticeable, it didn't really bother me. I guess I will have to wait a couple of months to see how the Zeiss SF compares. I would really like to try out the 8x42 HTs as well.

Bob - thanks for the references. I am almost 2 hours from Montoursville, so I would have to make a full day of it to visit Eurooptic. Mifflintown is only about a 1 hour drive for me - might take a trip out there during the week to see what The Lost Creek Shoe Shop has to try out. It's nice they take trades - I have an old pair of Leica Trinovid 10x42 BAs that might be worth something on a trade.

Thanks again!
Steve

Another welcome, Steve. Bird Forum must be recruiting members from PA!

It would be helpful if you were to tell us how you use your binoculars. If the intended use is low light conditions and you are thrilled with your current HT, then I would get the 8X42 HT now. If the intent is general birding or general viewing, I would be inclined to wait because the SF has the potential to be a great birding binocular.

Another factor is how important to you are these incremental differences in binoculars? For many of the birders I run across, it is all about the bird and the binocular is just a tool. They could care less about the fine points that distinguish one binocular from another and some if not many can not tell the differences. If you are part of that camp, then get the HT now and enjoy them. They are an excellent binocular in all respects. If you are optically obsessed like some of us in this sub forum, then it would be worth the wait because you can see and will care about small improvements the SF potentially offers.

Keep in mind that intro dates often slide a couple of months or sometimes much more. I would be inclined to wait several months after the SF hits the streets to find out what the reviews discover. It would disheartening to spend $2,700 and then find out there is a design issue after the evaluation period is over. How long are you willing to wait?

I guess it comes down to:
- Are the potential improvements in the SF beneficial to your intended use.
- Do you care and can you notice these small differences?
- Are you willing to wait?

The new SF may be incrementally better for your use, but the HT is still an excellent binocular over all. In my case, I would wait, but each situation is unique.

:hi:

Welcome to Bird Forum Steve!

Do you live near Montoursville? Eurooptic carries Zeiss and Swarovski.

Check out their website:http://www.eurooptic.com/ContactUs.aspx

You might be able to try them out there.

Alternatively, The Lost Creek Shoe Shop, an Amish establishment near Mifflintown, not far off Route 22, also sells highest quality new and used European and Japanese Optics which can be tried out on the deck they have for that purpose.

There is an entire thread about it here on Bird Forum, pictures and all, which you will find fascinating I'm sure. They take trades too.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=99221

Honey Creek Bill and Beak is also a Swarovski Dealer. It is near Lewistown.

Bob

Another welcome, Steve. Bird Forum must be recruiting members from PA!

It would be helpful if you were to tell us how you use your binoculars. If the intended use is low light conditions and you are thrilled with your current HT, then I would get the 8X42 HT now. If the intent is general birding or general viewing, I would be inclined to wait because the SF has the potential to be a great birding binocular.

Another factor is how important to you are these incremental differences in binoculars? For many of the birders I run across, it is all about the bird and the binocular is just a tool. They could care less about the fine points that distinguish one binocular from another and some if not many can not tell the differences. If you are part of that camp, then get the HT now and enjoy them. They are an excellent binocular in all respects. If you are optically obsessed like some of us in this sub forum, then it would be worth the wait because you can see and will care about small improvements the SF potentially offers.

Keep in mind that intro dates often slide a couple of months or sometimes much more. I would be inclined to wait several months after the SF hits the streets to find out what the reviews discover. It would disheartening to spend $2,700 and then find out there is a design issue after the evaluation period is over. How long are you willing to wait?

I guess it comes down to:
- Are the potential improvements in the SF beneficial to your intended use.
- Do you care and can you notice these small differences?
- Are you willing to wait?

The new SF may be incrementally better for your use, but the HT is still an excellent binocular over all. In my case, I would wait, but each situation is unique.

Wow, so many choices!

I have a pair of Leica Ultravid HD 8x32s that go with me pretty much everywhere (upgraded them from my original Leica 8x32 BA's several years ago). They are easy to carry and are great when there is plenty of light, but I want something with a little more brightness for dawn & dusk viewing. I will use them for birding, travel, sporting events, concerts, and just "get me closer" general use. Are the 8x42 Leica HD Ultravids worth considering along with the Zeiss (HT & SF) and the Swarovski (SV & SLC)? Most of the threads seem to favor Zeiss and Swarovski, but my Leica 8x32s have served me well for quite a few years.
My primary concern as I get older and my eyesight isn't what it used to be, is to get something sharp, bright and well engineered. I wear glasses, but usually flip them up on my head to use my binoculars.

You guys are a wealth of information and knowledge - thanks so much!

Steve

Wow, so many choices!

I have a pair of Leica Ultravid HD 8x32s that go with me pretty much everywhere (upgraded them from my original Leica 8x32 BA's several years ago). They are easy to carry and are great when there is plenty of light, but I want something with a little more brightness for dawn & dusk viewing. I will use them for birding, travel, sporting events, concerts, and just "get me closer" general use. Are the 8x42 Leica HD Ultravids worth considering along with the Zeiss (HT & SF) and the Swarovski (SV & SLC)? Most of the threads seem to favor Zeiss and Swarovski, but my Leica 8x32s have served me well for quite a few years.
My primary concern as I get older and my eyesight isn't what it used to be, is to get something sharp, bright and well engineered. I wear glasses, but usually flip them up on my head to use my binoculars.

Steve

Hi Steve

My wife is a Leica girl and loves her Ultravid 8x32s to bits and although I am a Zeiss fanboy, I agree they are lovely bins.

First bear in mind that I haven't tried SF yet but I own an HT.

Since you mention sports events and travel as well as birding then I think the SF's big field of view would be great for you. All of the reports I have seen praise the handling of the SF too, so if, like me, you are a bit less steady these days then this would be a very important factor too.

I think you should wait for SF, but I wish you all the luck whatever you choose to do.

Lee

Steve. Welcome On board. In addition to the excellent opinions expressed above, maybe it is a good idea to make a point to test a used Zeiss FL 7x42. It faired very well in comparison to the Zeiss HT 8x42, and, with some persistence, an excellent sample could be found at less than half the recommended cost of the SF. Many in the forum here can give excellent reports on its brightness, stability, and it's closeness to 8x42 size binoculars. Enjoy in good health.

PS: Following on the comments of Ceasar and Mac308 below, I would like to second their opinion regarding the Leica UV 8x42 model. My recent experience with the Leica UV 8x42 HD has been very satisfactory. I need not tell you about the wonderful contrast, color fidelity, and handling characteristics that you are bound to be familiar with. The only minor caveat is related to my myopia that makes me slightly more prone to CA around the edge as it is imperative for me to use prescription glasses when I use it--others who can use it with the eyecups extended do not report it. But to be specific to the issues at stake, you are bound to be happy with its brightness and weight attributes. Finally, following on Ceasar's link to CameraLandNY below, I observed that the Leica 8x42 Trinovid is now offered at $999. Again, at this price, it is an option worthy of a very close look as weight and brightness differentials with the HD model, albeit observable, are not that significant.

Last edited:
Wow, so many choices!

Steve

Steve,

Here is a Classic 8x42 you might be able to pick up as a demo and also save $500.00. It defines sharp, bright, well engineered; it is light in weight and it has classic good looks! You can take it to any of the places you list above and look good doing it to boot!

I picked up one at a Demo price for $1249.99. You may want to consider it if you are not susceptible to CA because it is not an HD and Leica doesn't make an HD in this line.

It is the Leica 8x42 Ultravid BL (Blackline) Leather covered binocular.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/site.pl?page=40271

I could not find a mark on my Demo. It may never have been out of the box. I have been using it with great pleasure and I assure you it is sharp, bright and well engineered along with it's classic good looks.:t:

Give Camera Land a call and see if any are left.

Bob

PS: If you don't mind one a bit more garish the Leica 8x42 Ultravid Silverline Demos are offered at the same price.

Last edited:
+1 for the 8x42 SLC HD. I found they seemed sharper and had a larger center sweet spot over the HTs. I eventually sold the HTs, when I kept going back to the SLCs.

I have a pair of Leica Ultravid HD 8x32s that go with me pretty much everywhere .......... They are easy to carry and are great when there is plenty of light, but I want something with a little more brightness for dawn & dusk viewing. ................... Are the 8x42 Leica HD Ultravids worth considering along with the Zeiss (HT & SF) and the Swarovski (SV & SLC)? ...........
My primary concern as I get older and my eyesight isn't what it used to be, is to get something sharp, bright and well engineered. ................

Steve

Here are some transmission figures to shed a little "light" on the issue of brightness.

Leica Ultravid HD 8X32:
- Allbinos 91.7% http://www.allbinos.com/183-binoculars_review-Leica_Ultravid_8x32_HD.html

Leica Ultravid HD 8X42:
- Allbinos 88.1% http://www.allbinos.com/246-binoculars_review-Leica_Ultravid_8x42_HD.html
- Dr. Ginkel 83% / 86% (500nm/555nm)

Zeiss 8X42 HT:
- Zeiss Website 95% (First Page) http://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/...victory-binoculars/victory-ht-binoculars.html

Zeiss 8X42 SF:
- Zeiss Website 92% (Features Tab) http://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/...inoculars/victory-sf-binoculars.html#features

Swaro EL SV 8.5X42:
- Allbinos 87.8% http://www.allbinos.com/251-binoculars_review-Swarovski_EL_8.5x42_Swarovision.html
- Dr. Ginkel 89% / 90% (500nm/555nm)

Swaro SLC HD 8X42:
- Dr. Ginkel 89% / 92% (500nm/555nm)

Dr. Ginkels report-Table 1C: https://translate.googleusercontent...11.pdf&usg=ALkJrhi8jMTyOZCdKaRdEa8Mfzo79h9u6g

BruceH,
In addition to your data in post 15: we measured for the Leica Ultravid HD 8x32:
500 nm=84%
550nm=87,5%

For the Zeiss Victory HT 8x42:
500 nm=92,3%
550 nm=95,2%

I published all these data on the WEB-ste of House of Outdoor, where you also found our other data in post 15.
Gijs van Ginkel

I`d like to throw the EDG into the mix, personally having tried it alongside all the above I still think its the most complete all rounder.

Torview,
For The Netherlands Nikon is a non option becuase of its very bad service level and because of its price policy regarding binoculars in connection with the photography shops.
Gijs van Ginkel

I`d like to throw the EDG into the mix, personally having tried it alongside all the above I still think its the most complete all rounder.

Torview,

I agree, but I would keep stum on anything about the EDG's, as you will always come under fire from the Teutonic Alpha brigade. Pity them!

Steve,

More seriously, if you having problems holding binoculars still, can I suggest that you look at 7x42's. I had the same problem and moved to that magnification with great success. (Don't tell anyone, but it was a Nikon 7x42 EDG which is probably the best of the EDG series)

Stan

Warning, off topic!

In addition to your data in post 15: we measured for the Leica Ultravid HD 8x32:
500 nm=84%
550nm=87,5%

Gijs:

You don't have by any chance the figures for the "old" Leica 8x32 BA or the 8x32 BN?

I'd quite like to have those figures, having had the chance to briefly compare the 8x32 BA and the Ultravid 8x32 HD in the field.

Hermann

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back